Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I for one did not expect social media to be this nightmarish poison that taints all of our interactions with each other and turns men into monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The New Republic recently had a great article that touched on some of the things you mentioned: https://newrepublic.com/article/156096/death-good-internet-inside-job-decade-hell

I miss the pre-2014ish internet, before it was overrun by "gamergaters", Nazis, and social media behemoths.

What I'd add to that good article is that the social consequences of the acid bath have been really profound. It's handed over social power to all kinds of bad actors and created an atmosphere of permanent paranoia and suspicion that hangs over most online spaces and a lot of real world ones too. It used to be that the biggest threats to your little community was a lack of money for web space or a decline in interest over time, and now they're all bad social dynamics: a nasty rupture over a (probably) minor issue that gets out of hand, an organized harassment campaign, or the banning of important members by a unreachable and uncaring platform mod. And there's basically no escaping it anymore. It's intensely alienating.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
The decade we got concrete proof that neither our cultural institutions or our brains could comprehend or withstand what we've created with the internet, and both will more than likely break than adapt to our strange new world.

AI nerds kept waiting for the technological singularity, but we've actually been living in it since probably 95 or so.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It's more of a cultural singularity than a technological one. Social media has just made it possible for cultural trends to develop faster than anyone can follow unless you're already extremely online.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

3 days into the 2020s and I'm ready to get off mr 2020s wild ride

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

I wouldn't.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jeb! is a MESS

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Milo and POTUS posted:

whats that a reference to

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

number* go up

(*number is not a good number)

Dec 26, 2012

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Dick pics.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
poo poo

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
ito internet poo poo, the phrase 'this, but unironically'

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
like a strained rope that finally broke

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lol

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

This, as a result of the entire internet and much of underground culture being progressively submerged into an acid bath of social media. A hundred thousand unique little communities and a dozen or more new modes of expression died off and got sucked into a couple big platforms that are increasingly subject to the logic of mods, cops, and culture war. I'm glad these forums still exist as (somewhat of) an antidote to this broad movement but I'm not sure how much longer they'll last.

these forums cannot die, lest we be released from the curse of goondom

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

hillary clinton as danyaris targarian or whatever and everyone going apoplectic when it turned out the magical monarchist laid waste to all of the common folk for not loving her enough

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

hillary clinton as danyaris targarian or whatever and everyone going apoplectic when it turned out the magical monarchist laid waste to all of the common folk for not loving her enough

does she use a dragon though.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

iAnd is it named drogon in some pathetic cockney rhyming slang ripoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U7idTh3UI4