Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Let cats murder?
Yes
No
Goku
View Results

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
I still say we should let the cats kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We should introduce a variant of myxomatosis keyed to Felis catus.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

We let our cats go outside, but they were all originally feral murdermoggies and are now fat castrated toms who are too lazy to chase down any wildlife, so on balance we probably reduced the number of dead mice in the area (and there are fewer fertile male cats running round breeding).

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

It is pretty weird when pet owners get all lovey dovey about their pet killing other animals. It should be understood that is simply how nature is, but getting all cutesy about it is some really bad vibes.

"Oh wittle Hawwington III, did you kill more of the neighborhood bird population? OwO Oopsie woopsies! You must be hungy wungy!! Let me clean you up and give you some tuna fishy wishy you fuzzy siwwy biwwy UwU"

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

They don't actually like it that much, they just post like that to "trigger the libs"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm gonna trap some cats, then don a giant bird costume and terrorize them for a while before releasing them. Maybe this will cause them to reconsider their actions!

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

It comes across just as sheltered as freaking out about it, but they've taken it to a contrarian extreme and decided that the infantilization of their pet must be expressed in every facet.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Freaking out about it isn't sheltered, it's having a very real understanding of cat-astrophic loss of biodiversity and permanent ecosystem damage.

like a lower scale version of saying 'freaking out about climate change is sheltered'.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's still pretty stupid, you aren't making a difference and nobody cares, but yell yourself blue in the face if you like.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
A mating pair of cardinals were scolding Riley while he was sunning himself on the walk. Very rude. Mrs. Cardinal decides to dive bomb my cat (who was minding his own business, by the way) and became lunch. Seeing his wife being devoured troubled Mr. Cardinal to no end so he began swooping at my cat too. Mind you, Riley is just trying to enjoy his meal. So he gets the dumb bird by the head and starts chewing on it. I intervene. That bird hung out in our front yard the next two seasons sporting drat near a bald head. I suppose I could have intervened sooner and saved the first bird, but cardinals are stuck up assholes.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Outrail posted:

Freaking out about it isn't sheltered, it's having a very real understanding of cat-astrophic loss of biodiversity and permanent ecosystem damage.

like a lower scale version of saying 'freaking out about climate change is sheltered'.

Yes both of those things are sheltered. Freaking out is never an appropriate reaction. Losing composure is for the youthful and the intoxicated.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I hate it when people freak out by posting facts and reasonable arguments ugh

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

That's not freaking out. Yelling and screaming and running around because your outside cat brought a dead animal in the house is freaking out. You're swinging in a cornfield filled with scarecrows.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Woodpile posted:

A mating pair of cardinals were scolding Riley while he was sunning himself on the walk. Very rude. Mrs. Cardinal decides to dive bomb my cat (who was minding his own business, by the way) and became lunch. Seeing his wife being devoured troubled Mr. Cardinal to no end so he began swooping at my cat too. Mind you, Riley is just trying to enjoy his meal. So he gets the dumb bird by the head and starts chewing on it. I intervene. That bird hung out in our front yard the next two seasons sporting drat near a bald head. I suppose I could have intervened sooner and saved the first bird, but cardinals are stuck up assholes.

If the birds were that aggressive, they probably had a nest with eggs or babies nearby.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
You know who really freaked out? Anya the indoor cat. A squirrel dropped down the chimney once and it was loving Christmas for kitty. The squirrel was almost as big as Anya but it was game on. They tore up the downstairs while I stood with the front door open waiting for our guest to leave. Riley hid under the radiator cover. He never got the hang of squirrels.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Sinteres posted:

If the birds were that aggressive, they probably had a nest with eggs or babies nearby.

I thought the same. Good thing Riley was too fat for tree climbing. Unless there was a dog involved.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Dont Touch ME posted:

Yes both of those things are sheltered. Freaking out is never an appropriate reaction. Losing composure is for the youthful and the intoxicated.
Yes, let's all maintain our composure as our oceans turn to acid and our air into sulfur. Wouldn't want to lose our cool, the most important consideration!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dont Touch ME posted:

Freaking out is a reasonable reaction to people pretending nothing is wrong and willfully ignoring terrible things happening when you repeatedly point them out.

"The house is on fire."

"Oh it's just keeping warm'

"Your house is on fire rear end in a top hat!"

"Oh calm down. You're freaking out man!"

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Scootches McFlehmenbottom needs a Carolina wren right meow!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

Question then: since cats are such formidable killers that a single one can genocide out whole areas of birds/small animals, what do we have in place once we move all the cats inside and there's nothing left to hunt the vermin?

Because poisoning mice and clubbing rabbits is animal cruelty, too, IMO.

There's more to the world than your rat-infested house. Please go outside once in a while. Travel a little.

You wouldn't consider pigs or rats to be formidable hunters, but you don't see dodos walking around anymore. All you need to do is introduce something not native, and the native populations potentially suffer or even perish.

But yes, cats are noted excellent, excellent hunters, who - again - hunt merely for fun. They aren't limited by their hunger, they are only limited by what comes into range.

phasmid posted:

By "move back" I assume you mean "reclaim large territories that cats used to stalk with murderous aplomb but are now unguarded heaps of human food waste to swell their numbers". :confused:

You seem to believe the only animal in the world are rats, and that rats eat exclusively trash.

I also question which is more valuable, wild rats or wild cats. They both eat trash and carry disease, so I'm not sure the benefit here.

Dont Touch ME posted:

I just can't wrap my head around how nonsense this is. It's also excessively frustrating.

You have a beautiful Catch-22 where the more evidence someone presents you, the more wrong they must be because they are "freaking out." All while you get to be smug because you see the truth that nothing bad has or ever will happen in the world at any scale.

Certainly there are no other environmental issues that have been downplayed for over 30 years even as people legitimately started "freaking out." I'm not saying it's anywhere near the same scale, but your reaction is the same nonsense that plagues that discussion as well.

There's something about environmental issues that makes people aggressively ambivalent as long as cows and grass are doing fine, and it sucks that we have to share the Earth with them.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 14, 2020

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I... agree with Vikingskull??? Cats should murder.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

I... agree with Vikingskull??? Cats should murder.

Can't believe someone named after a Nazi tank regiment believes that a "superior" race killing lesser ones for their own amusement is cool and good!!!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Chomp8645 posted:

Can't believe someone named after a Nazi tank regiment believes that a "superior" race killing lesser ones for their own amusement is cool and good!!!

Someone fire up the discord server.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Riley's solution to the bunnies munching my baby maters was final.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yes, let's all maintain our composure as our oceans turn to acid and our air into sulfur. Wouldn't want to lose our cool, the most important consideration!

Unironically:
Yes.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Woodpile posted:

Riley's solution to the bunnies munching my baby maters was final.

My cats won't kill rabbits for some reason. They've brought them indoors and then looked at me like "what do we do with this thing now?"

A few weeks ago one of their favorite outdoor perches was taken from them by some nesting mockingbirds. The cats did not manage to dislodge them. They were still prowling around the spot, though. Birds halfheartedly divebombing them now and then and them halfheartedly swatting at the birds.

Chomp8645 posted:

How many pictures did the internet show you of cats with Hitler staches? You can't say you weren't warned.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Dog people always wanna kill cats but weirdly its never the other way around. If you go out of your way to say you hate cats I assume instantly you're a piece of poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Don't talk poo poo about mustachioed cats. If you're going to Hitler immediately for a comparison and not Charlie Chaplin or some other terribly mustached person, then you're the problem and probably suck nazi dick for meth money.

This is Beans. Beans was a stray I took in last April.

He's pretty chill and wants nothing to do with the outside world beyond the patio anymore. He couldn't have been much more than a year old when I took him in, but one Colorado winter was enough, he knows he's spoiled here, he never tries escaping.

Beans has a big dog brother named Frank.

Frank is just awesome. Loves everyone but is afraid of pit mixes and not fond of face handsy children. Frank and Beans have recently taken to occasionally napping with each other. Good monsters.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

you know what? it's fine. i thought about it and on balance, gently caress birds, they need to shut the gently caress up. i'd rather see a cat running around than listen to some stupid bird at 5 in the morning. cats are interesting and seem like they are up to things. also, if the cats eat mice and rats, etc on the way that is also fine. let the cats do as they please, i say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

for a second was like dang viking skull is a sick name for a tank regiment