Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The Computer Saga has come to a mostly victorious end. Here's the entire timeline of events following Crotch Fruit's post that played out over the course of a few days

Ulillillia's Facebook posted:

Yes! Success! I finally got the GPU out! My strategy was to use twine that I had for a completely unrelated purpose. I have this dolly that can turn into a cart, but it doesn't have a flat, stable platform. So, through having a piece of plywood laid on top, I can create that flat, stable platform, but it's not securely in place as is. The fix I have is to simply tie twine around it.

And boy, when I finally managed to get that firm grip on the PCI-e lock, I had a lot of excitement and was often repeatedly saying "don't release the tension" as I tried to figure out how to release the lock. As I figured something out, I saw the GPU rising up. I continued that and eventually... pop! It was loose and out. I held onto the twine and gripped the GPU carefully as I removed the other side. The GPU was officially out! I then got that second latch on the fan disconnected, disconnected the power, removed that central portion, then took out the HSF completely.

Next up: using isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips to remove the thermal grease and start getting the water cooling set up and going. Hopefully that's not too difficult. Generally, it's just matching up shapes though not always (such as the LEDs for the case where you need to make sure you don't get the positive and negative mixed up and making sure you're plugging in the CPU/chassis fans in the appropriate plugs on the motherboard). Manuals help as well, but they can only go so far. The situation I had wouldn't be something you'd expect to find in a manual as it's rather unusual and rare.

---

Well, it's the moment of truth! Does that new computer start up and run well, or does it have further problems I don't know about? Lots of unknowns. First things first though, if it starts up successfully: get the BIOS up and check things like the CPU temp and what not, making sure they're all working correctly. Once that has a green light (as in, no problems), it's then configuring the BIOS based on my needs. Finish that, it's Windows 10 installed, drivers installed, programs installed, running backups and getting that installed, and so forth.

---

Windows 10 installed, along with the motherboard and GPU drivers (albeit from the disks that came with it so I can get started - I'll be downloading and installing the new drivers once I get Internet access up and going, which requires disconnecting my older computer from the Internet as I don't have an Ethernet splitter or a router. So far, so good.

I'll probably have about 70 GB of data to compress... to about 40 GB so I'd need 2 BD-R disks. This is not counting the videos and photos - those are on my 8 TB drive in my older computer that I'll be transferring over once I'm done. Effectively the new computer will have 18 TB in total storage. I'll also need to format the new 8 TB drive as well but that sort of stuff is a much lower priority for now.

CPU temps hover around 44°C, but it's not even close to a full load right now. I'll have to use my other programs to fully utilize that beast of a CPU which requires the data backup, program transfers, and all that other stuff.

---

Of course, this included some big temporary stuff, a few old things that I've seen updated and removed out of the ZIP, and some other temporary things I know I forgot to delete that I've removed out of the ZIP. This does not include my photos, videos, and low importance things though which would be multiple terabytes' worth in data. Running a main data backup to transfer over to my new computer is a very important task. I'm likely to quick ZIP the entire 3 TB drive I have and put it on my 8 TB drive so I can move those contents over to the new computer which will get put on the new 8 TB drive. The 8 TB drive in my older computer will get transferred to the new one as that one is my cold storage drive and contains my photos, videos, etc.

---

Well, so much for getting more progress done on my new computer for getting it ready. I can't find my USB flash drive anywhere, oddly. It's not in the area where it's supposed to be. It's not in the area where it's supposed to be. It's not in my safe either or anywhere near my computer. Burning BD-R disks (I need 34 GB total, and that's with compression, so that requires 2 BD-R disks or 8 DVD-Rs) isn't working as I keep getting these errors as I may have a bad batch of disks. I've had some issues with this batch. I only have 7 DVD-R disks so that's not enough. I basically have wasted my time combating annoyances. I've tried 8 different attempts at burning a BD-R disk but it keeps failing. If it's not the verification process, it's the start of the writing process. The only other (very temporary) option would be to copy it over to my camera with a 128 GB card in it and enough space then transfer that over to the new computer and copy off of that, but there's another side problem - my camera's battery may not last long enough as it's quite low and I need to charge it. I can't use my phone as it doesn't have enough storage space and won't take any cards beyond 32 GB. Oh well. I guess, for now, it's just getting my shower in and going to bed so I can get to work tomorrow... and in the meanwhile, get my camera's battery charged up.

---

Well, I got the data backup transferred to the SDXC card on my camera (oh the joy of a 6.77 MB/s transfer rate, thanks to USB 2.0) and got it transferred over to the new computer. I got Office XP installed for Word and Excel that I so frequently use, and I also got Winzip installed for unzipping the data and that's currently unzipping.

So far, the CPU's highest temp I've seen is 52°C, and so far, I haven't done anything that's all that CPU intensive either like the grass and snow generation for PM's mountains or video compression.

His computer is gonna catch fire the second he tries to do terrain generation if it can reach a temperature that high at rest.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I enjoyed the documentary but if we're gonna regress to the bad old days of beathlessly stalking Uli's facebook for updates maybe this thread has run its course.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sleeveless posted:

I enjoyed the documentary but if we're gonna regress to the bad old days of beathlessly stalking Uli's facebook for updates maybe this thread has run its course.

I wasn't gonna continue with Facebook stuff past that, I just wanted to complete the chain of posts that Crotch Fruit had been making. There really isn't anything new to report on and probably won't be for a long while. Now that his PC is up and running there will probably be some new Platform Masters because moving to Florida and getting an amazing PC were the mains things blocking that from happening. I'll definitely post new Platform Masters videos if they happen but yeah, there probably won't be many updates to this thread in the meantime.

I don't think I mentioned this earlier but the guys that made the documentary will be releasing the raw footage sometime this year and I'm planning on making my own cut of the film that tries to fix the boring and bad parts of it. I'm a media arts college dropout so I can't guarantee a masterpiece but it'll probably be better than what we got. Hopefully the thread won't have fallen out of the forums entirely by then.

If anyone's interested in some of the newer non-Facebook content the Ulillillia Archive on YouTube has plenty of stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMJuS0T_JmY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igIEgZydqBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IXiQMZ0ATA

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 26, 2020

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdLbUHdKTJ4

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
First and foremost, this is largely and update in hopes of keeping this thread from dying. Is it wrong to discuss Uli? He used to have one or two websites detailing a lot of his life online, I believe those websites are now shutdown, although I assume a lot of the reason for that is likely due to cost of hosting. To that extent, I only post on here what he public ally posts on his Facebook. Sure, Facebook is controlled access and thus sorta locked down and private, but Uli will accept friend requests from literally anyone and so long as you don't act like an goon rear end Uli doesn't randomly unfriend people. I think Nick recognizes the value of his social media presence, although in recent years I think he might not want to have such a prominent presence, it's a topic I've never asked Nick about.

*Disclaimer* I chat with Nick on Facebook occasionally, he and I are now working the same job, Online Grocery at Walmart. It's nice to talk about how our stores are different yet still very much the same, like Saturday was crazy busy but Sunday was hilariously slow as soon as the game started. If I didn't know Uli's social status, I would consider him just another normal "boring" person.

The Uli-puter is alive, Nick is trying to get a full dark scheme but Windows 10 is fighting back. This is deemed necessary for things like being able to work on the near black backgrounds of Carnivelista with eyes fully dilated in order to add more detail. The default options are of no use as Windows 10 simply doesn't allow as much customization in the setting of colors, Nick did manage to dive into the registry and find where a lot of the values for things like ActiveTileBars are stored and manually changed some of the values, but the context menus still remain a stark white. I've tried my best to answer his questions about Windows 10 and attempt try to resolve his color scheme issue, I'm more than happy to help test settings one of my spare PCs. Nick mentioned on Facebook that he does not have a router, just plugs one PC into his modem, so he has his new PC and also his old PC as a backup which I assume is just sitting unpowered doing nothing. This seems like a slightly unsafe idea, if anything the fact that his cellphone (I believe it's a smart phone of some kind) is always using wireless data while at home seems slightly limiting. I can see how some people might consider this like an obsession, but I simply see it as Uli really needs (wants) a fully dark color scheme in Windows 10, and Windows 10 sucks at providing it. Should we all just bow down and accept whatever settings Microsoft forces upon us, or is it legitimate to consider there are potential advantages to a dark color scheme? After looking into, I'm merely at a point where I feel the Windows 10 UI is a mess in part because some apps use an old GUI API and some use a new API.

PC issus aside, I did mention I work the same job as UIi. Nick has made his employer and position publically know (on Facebook) so I don't believe disclosing that is an issue. TO MY KNOWLEDGE, THIS IS NOT PUBLIC ALLY AVAILABLE INFORMATION , I mention this primarily because I hope I'm doing the right thing. In chat, so possibly not public knowledge, Nick did mention that he feared backlash if he tried to like take charge of situations, he has abandoned his desires to seek a management position. In a way, I think the the fact that he just switched departments is likely to make him still be seen as the new guy for a long time. Sure he has worked for Walmart for years, but he is new to OGP, and OGP is extremely different than the rest of Walmart. Bottom line is I like Nick, I don't want to hurt Nick, I try my best to chat with him about work since he seems eager to find a friend, he asks me questions about work a bit. I think he just needs to be a little more aggressive at work instead of passive, specifically I told him how he can check his stats at work and he basically said that his manager didn't show him how so won't do it for fear of retaliation. But I know I have heard my own HR say they expect people in my department to be capable of working without immediate supervision. Maybe Uli is right, just do what the managers say and DO NOT try to exceed their expectations because if you mess up, they will throw you under the bus, but on the other hand, my manager is overworked and doesn't have time to fully train every employee and expects people to learn things on their own. Who is right, me or Nick? At the very least, Nick did mention that he got a couple hours of overtime each day last weekend and he likes the increased pay, OGP is a good department for workaholics. . . I have a family, I want to leave on time, Nick has nobody and wants to earn as much as possible to potentially have more money to enjoy hobbies on his days off. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, if anything I think I am simply hoping to motivate more people to get on Facebook and actually talk to Uli to show him he has friends or followers.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is it wrong to discuss Uli?

Yes, please leave the nice man alone instead of spending over a decade obsessing over the minutiae of his existence.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Mr. Fruit. I think the Walmart might be owning you.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

Yes, please leave the nice man alone instead of spending over a decade obsessing over the minutiae of his existence.

people who get real torn up about folks liking uli's public posts are creepier than the people they imagine like uli's posts

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I just want him to work and finish his game, to see his dream realized. :(
He is an interesting guy, for sure, but I don't really need to know about his private life. If he has disengaged from the internet to re-integrate into society and doesn't want weirdos following him anymore we should respect that.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Mr. Fruit. I think the Walmart might be owning you.
This place is a poo poo hole to work at, I've got my feelers out. I think OGP is better than the rest of walmart if only because my department is still giving out overtime when necessary but other departments are on restricted hours this month. I got an unrelated story I want to share.

Most of my coworkers are kinda cool people, a lot of high school drop outs or older retired people, but decent friendly people. One guy though was a real piece of work, lets call him Dude. Dude really wanted to be a manager, Dude was newer than me but one day put on a radio and just started trying to boss people around, if you second guessed Dude he would radio the real manager right in front of you and either get shut down or relay whatever the manager said. Eventually a couple even newer employees started just listening to Dude since it was easier than arguing. I had to work late one day, I was closing with Dude and 4 other people, it was a slow day already and we were way overstaffed. For the last 2 hours of my shift I was bored out of my mind, I was looking for things to do just to make time go by faster, I swept the hall, helped prep carts, finished the returns, just whatever I could find to work on to try to make time go by faster while Dude was sitting on his phone. Right before close we got a customer, 2 people started running to go get the customer, I clocked out on time. The next day, one guy said the order was kinda hosed and he stayed 10 minutes late, then my manager asked me what time I left and I told him everyone was goofing off and I left on time because I didn't want to just ride the clock any longer, at which point my manager laughed and said I did the right thing. Later Dude came up to me and got up in my face less than a foot away telling me everyone is expected to stay late when they close and people get write ups for what I did, and I just chuckled and told him everything I cleaned the last hour, another employee said "Dude, you were on your phone the last hour" and Dude just doubled down on "people can get in trouble for what you did" so I told him the manager already asked me exactly what happened. About a week later Dude got fired*, rumor is he was accidentally grabbing the girl's butts a lot, he was telling girls he was a manager (he wasn't) and could make them managers to, I saw him tell a girl "every happy marriage needs a side ho", and he supposedly was texting nudes to these girls. *Yesterday my department manager just out of the blue said "does anyone know what happened to Dude? Is he coming back?" I hate my job, but besides that one lousy coworker and the total lack of any future in the company, it could be worse. Dude was a piece of poo poo, but he got fired pretty quick too.

Entorwellian posted:

I just want him to work and finish his game, to see his dream realized. :(
He is an interesting guy, for sure, but I don't really need to know about his private life. If he has disengaged from the internet to re-integrate into society and doesn't want weirdos following him anymore we should respect that.
The last time I asked Nick he said he still owns his domain names but cant afford to pay for hosting, so I don't think he is necessarily disengaging from the internet or trying to hide his online personality. Maybe it is, but at least Uli himself said he just doesn't have the money for it right now. I hope I am not invading his privacy, I have relayed a few things Nick posts on Facebook since that is his online presence now, and he seem quite open (so long as you don't swear too much on his feed). I did mention one thing which, to my knowledge, he did post publicly on his feed, and I mentioned it because I honestly just didn't know what to say to Nick at the time. The general consensus seems to be "leave him alone" and I will respect that. I don't plan to shun Nick, I will still chat with him about work or whatever, I will try to be as much of a friend as I can be.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 5, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

All the footage that wasn't in the documentary has been released on YouTube. The official unreleased director's cut (same length and content as the full unreleased director's cut but with a higher video bit rate) and one of the episodes were removed from YouTube but are available on archive.org

https://archive.org/details/the-platform-master-full-movie-official-unreleased-directors-cut-2012
https://archive.org/details/the-platform-master-episode-2-nicks-video-games-collection_202007

After nine years the Ulillillia documentary is finished or at least as finished as it can be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgh4vmzhNMI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNfB8p2ZIOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoDa5Re6BkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFIY9oE3jbg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ2GhdDYMFk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz-nMVIB6S4

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 29, 2020

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Bringing back this thread to say that Uli has a new game that is supposed to come out this year! He is also out of a job due to a fear of seeing other people in masks, so he started a Patreon to fund it.

Support our guy!

https://www.patreon.com/ulillillia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Harminoff posted:

Bringing back this thread to say that Uli has a new game that is supposed to come out this year! He is also out of a job due to a fear of seeing other people in masks, so he started a Patreon to fund it.

Support our guy!

https://www.patreon.com/ulillillia

Nice! I'll be a patron of his.