Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Have you ever seen an illustration and thought to yourself, “I wish I could draw something as beautiful as that.” Well, I believe anyone can become a competent artist with practice and dedication to the craft. But, where to start? Many of the art-touching goons in Creative Convention recommend “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” by Betty Edwards. So, when Keetron offered up his copy, as well as a complimentary workbook and some art supplies, I greedily took him up on his offer. But, why should I be so selfish? Why not share this with any goon who might be curious about becoming a more skilled artist? Thats where this thread comes in.

I figured we could all learn from Betty Edwards lessons together. I will be going through the book, pulling whatever pearls of wisdom I think are worth sharing, paraphrasing where I can, as well as posting exercises to follow along with. I encourage anyone who’s interested, to join in and draw with me. Regardless of any previous experience, or talent, we can always strive to improve.

First, lets begin by gathering our supplies for our artistic journey. You don’t need to use the exact tools I’ll be using, but they are recommended, and perhaps you’ll find them useful too.

Pencils:
#2 Writing pencil with an eraser top
#4B drawing pencil (Turquoise, Faber Castell, or similar brand)

Eraser:
A white plastic erasure (Staedtler) or Pink Pearl eraser
Pencil Sharpener:
(I’ve always found the small hand-held ones work best.)
Graphite Stick:
#4B
Charcoal:
6 sticks of natural charcoal
2 sticks of synthetic charcoal (CharKole or similar brand)
#4B charcoal pencil

Conte Crayons:
1 black
1 sanguine (reddish brown)

Chalk:
1 pale gray, or 1 pastel crayon
Erasable felt tip marker:
1 black (Crayola, Sharpie, or a similar brand)
Ink:
1 small bottle of India ink
1 small bottle of brown writing ink

Brush:
#7 or #8 watercolor brush
Alarm Clock or Kitchen Timer
Paper Towels or Tissues
Clear Plastic:
8” x 10”, to make a Picture Plane (Tapered Glass can also be used) Use a permanent marker to draw two cross hairs on the plastic, vertical and horizontal crossing at the center.
Lightweight Cardboard:
[i]2 Pieces, 8” x 10”, to make a view finder. From one cut a rectangular opening of 4 1/4” x 5 1/4” and from the other, cut out a larger opening of 6” x 7 5/8”

2 Alligator Clips to fasten your viewfinder to the picture plane.
Drawing Paper or Art Journal

Finally, for those who wish, a copy of The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and its accompanying Workbook.

Now, none of these supplies are completely necessary, (I would personally love to see some one follow along using only a copy of MS Paint) but to get the most out of our lessons together, they have been recommended. Now If you don’t have everything at once, don’t worry. The first few exercises only ask for a sharpened pencil and enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

My partner does the illustrating, I just do engineering and videogames. sorry op.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

Drone_Fragger posted:

My partner does the illustrating, I just do engineering and videogames. sorry op.

No problem, but if you change you're mind, feel free to follow along. I'd assume engineering and drawing kinda go hand in hand. This method is especially meant for beginners.

Preface and Introduction

Betty Edwards had always had a background in fine arts, but believed anyone could learn to draw. So when she began teaching she was astonished by how difficult her students found drawing. One day, she had all her student copy a Picasso drawing upside down. To everyones surprise their drawings were extreemly well done.

The following year, 1968, Roger Sperry began releasing report on his research on human brain-hemisphere. His work suggest that the brain uses two funamentally different modes of thinking. The left focusing on verbal and analytical, and the right focusing on visual and perceptual. Learning this herself, Betty embarked on a quest to create a curiculum ustilising that discovery.

“Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” is the culmination of her lessons. It’s focus is on teaching five skills
One: the perception of edges
Two: the perception of spaces
Three: the perception of relationships
Four: the perception of lights and shadows
Five: the perception of the whole, or gestalt

Chapter I: Drawing and the Art of Bicycle Riding

The first chapter serves as an introduction to dispell any intimidations about drawing. While seeing someone’s master work can instantly make you feel like anything you could draw couldn’t compair, you shouldn’t simply surrender. Anyone can learn to draw. Much like riding a bike, instruction about drawing almost always proves more confusing than the actual act of practice.

All you need to draw is average eyesight, and decent hand eye coordination. We will be learning how to see differently. When you decide to sit down and draw a particular object, whatever it is, you may suprise yourself with how many details you might have not have noticed earlier. And the more you draw like this you’ll begin looking at everything in a different matter.

“Learning to draw is reall a matter of learnng to see- to see correctly- and that means a good deal more than merely looking with the eye.” - Kimon Nicolaides

“It is in order to really see, to see even deeper, ever more intensly, hense to be fully aware and alive, that I draw what the Chinese call ‘The Ten Thosand Things’ around me. Drawing is the discipline by which I constantly rediscover the world. I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen, and that when I start drawing an ordinarything, I realize how etraordinary it is, sheer miracle.” - Frederick Franck

Now that you’ve begun looking at things like an artist, you’ve unlocked that creative part of your brain and can begin utilizing it. To borrow from the bicycle metaphor again, you’ve begun to find your feet and can pedal withconfidence. All you had to do was start.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Chapter II: The Drawing Exercises: One Step at a Time

All right, time to actually start drawing. Obviously I haven’t given you any actual instructions yet so these drawings will act as a starting point for your artistic journey.

Exercise #1 “Pre-Insruction Self-Portrait”

For this exercise all you will need is your #2 writing pencil, drawing paper, and a mirror. Simply sit down in front of the mirror and draw what you see. Spend as much or as little time as you want, it’s recommended to spend about 30 minutes, but I probably banged mine out in about 10.

Don’t be upset if your first drawing isn’t as good as you’d like it to be. We’ve only just started and haven’t had any real instruction yet. Do take some time to take a look over your drawing and pick out a few areas where you think you succeeded in capturing, and don’t forget to sign, date and title it.

Exercise #2 “Pre-Insruction Drawing of your Hand”

For this exercise all you will need is your #2 writing pencil and drawing paper. Once again sit down somewhere comfortable, and examine your non-dominant hand. Try out a few poses until you find one you feel you can hold and draw, then get started. Try to spend at least 15 minutes on this drawing. Once you’ve finished sign, date, and title it.

Exercise #3 “A Person, Drawn from Memory”

For this exercise you will once again need your #2 writing pencil and drawing paper. This time when you sit down to draw. Recall someone you familiar to you, whether it be a family member, a friend, or lover. Perhaps, you maybe even want to draw a celebrity. Whoever it is, once you’ve locked on to them in your minds eye, begin drawing them. You’re welcome to just do a portrait, or full body sketch.

You probably found this drawing even more difficult than the first two. Without a reference even the most skilled artist would find it difficult. The purpose of this drawing was to train your mind in recognizing and refining common symbols and shapes that you’ll repeat in any portrait of any person. If you compare it to your self portrait you might notice that their are several similarities in how you drew certain characteristics. Don’t forget to sign, date, and title it.

Exercise #4 “Pre-Insruction Drawing of the Corner of a Room”

For our last exercise of the day, all you’ll need it your #2 writing pencil and drawing paper. Look around the room you’re working in and choose a corner of it to draw. It can be a fairly spruce corner, or a complicated scene with lots of furniture and/or items. Just draw as accurate to the best of your abilities.

Now you might have found this easier, or maybe more difficult. Since this drawing focused more on geometric shapes rather than organic shaped, you might have discovered where you specialize. Don’t forget to sign, date, and title it.

Congratulations! You’ve finished your first few exercises, and hopefully gained some more confidence in your drawing ability. Perhaps you’d like to post them and share with your fellow students. Peer review is an important part of any artist journey. It is one of the most difficult parts too, as I’ve seen more than just a couple artist burst into tears after a critique. But if you’re thick skinned and can listen to someone tell you where you did poorly, than you can learn the areas you can improve. Besides, people will also tell you where you succeeded, and that's a very nice feeling. Also feel free to do the same for other artists and we can all gain from one another’s experience.

That will be it for now. If there are any questions or comments, I will reply to them. But I need to read ahead for a little bit, and finish the rest of Chapter II.

Johnny-on-the-Spot fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 2, 2020

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Totally discriminatory against those of us without a visual imagination.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

goatface posted:

Totally discriminatory against those of us without a visual imagination.

By no means do I mean to discriminate against those who suffer from aphantasia. This method (from what I read,) focuses on drawing from life. If you can see it, you can draw it. Admittedly, I have no experience with aphantasia, so I cannot relate, but I do imagine it would make any of the excercises that ask you to draw from memory extreemly difficult. If you do not want to participate in those, by no means do I require you to. This is just suppose to be a fun little thread for those who desire to develope drawing skills.

Johnny-on-the-Spot fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 2, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

Exercise #3 “A Person, Drawn form Memory”

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Excellent job! Your subject is immediately recognizable, and illustrates an important part of the exercise, recognising common symbols and shapes used in drawing. I wonder if you started with the "G" of the ear? Using easily repeatable and familiar shapes in your drawings can help build the frame of your art work. I commend you for your start.

While I really like your claw, but I assumed you were trying to draw a hand. Hands are very difficult to draw, (my hand drawing looks very clawish too,) so I implore you to challenge yourself and continue the exercises with the hand drawing. Once again, I really do like the hand you drew.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

This is very good. I’m done reading ty!

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you
Less text more art!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

https://twitter.com/PopeCorkytheIX/status/480045502650937345?s=20

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
are we just posting this sort of thing now?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

the door for you

While I do like to encourage this sort of silly nonsense, I wouldn't mind see more people post their own art.

:bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

we used that book in my high school drawing class, good choice keep it up art goons