Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The one that had an underage Elle Fanning in a see-through night-dress, John Turturro as a Nazi mouse-man, and Nathan Lane as Albert Einstein.

There's also a clown that looks John Wayne Gacy.

quote:

The Nutcracker in 3D (released on DVD as The Nutcracker: The Untold Story) is a 2010 British-Hungarian 3D Christmas musical fantasy thriller film adapted from the 1892 ballet The Nutcracker.

:stare:

"3D Christmas musical fantasy thriller"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Who Greenknighted 2022: Wait that came out last year?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

:stare:

Also notable for literally no reviewers liking it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_a_0%25_rating_on_Rotten_Tomatoes

It's interesting to see what kind of films tend to end up in this category. Ultra-generic action movies (the kind where Bruce Willis has 15 minutes of screen time) are the most obvious category that jumps out at me.

Edit: Interesting how many 80s/early 90s examples seem to be sequels (Staying Alive, Jaws: The Revenge, Police Academy 4, Highlander 2), but after 1993 the only sequel appears to be Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 31, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's just such a bummer to me that none of the fantasy films that came out in LotR's wake were any good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Including the Hobbit trilogy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Also notable for literally no reviewers liking it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_with_a_0%25_rating_on_Rotten_Tomatoes

It's interesting to see what kind of films tend to end up in this category. Ultra-generic action movies (the kind where Bruce Willis has 15 minutes of screen time) are the most obvious category that jumps out at me.

Edit: Interesting how many 80s/early 90s examples seem to be sequels (Staying Alive, Jaws: The Revenge, Police Academy 4, Highlander 2), but after 1993 the only sequel appears to be Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2.

Some of the reviews of these movies are pretty interesting. Note that just because everybody hated it doesn't mean that everybody hated every aspect of it. Several reviewers of Dark Crimes, for instance, actually thought Jim Carrey's acting in it was pretty good, and suggested he should take more "serious" roles like that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Highlander 2 is a special kind of dumb that I couldn’t imagine actually getting mad at it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Silver2195 posted:

Some of the reviews of these movies are pretty interesting. Note that just because everybody hated it doesn't mean that everybody hated every aspect of it. Several reviewers of Dark Crimes, for instance, actually thought Jim Carrey's acting in it was pretty good, and suggested he should take more "serious" roles like that.

The thing that trips people up with comedic actors is that comedy is really hard. A good comic actor likely has the skills for pretty much anything else they want to do.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Casimir Radon posted:

Highlander 2 is a special kind of dumb that I couldn’t imagine actually getting mad at it.

I always chuckle a little whenever someone IRL brings up Zeist. Like, how the gently caress do you even come up with something like that!? (I know the answer is "probably drugs" but still).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The old theater joke is, dying's easy, it's comedy that's hard.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I always chuckle a little whenever someone IRL brings up Zeist. Like, how the gently caress do you even come up with something like that!? (I know the answer is "probably drugs" but still).
“Connor, promise me you will fix the Ozone Layer”

I didn’t watch Highlander II until a few years ago on Prime streaming. They have the Special Edition cut I think. Which gets rid of any mentions of Zeist, and makes the immortals comes from Earth’s prehistory. Pretty sure I actually had to read the wiki article to suss that out because the movie didn’t make it very clear as to what was going on.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Not to mention some of them were actual financial successes.

I was 6 years old in 1990, but even I was aware enough to know that Problem Child had gotten terrible reviews. Yet it was a big of enough financial success to warrant two sequels.

Police Academy 4 was highly profitable as well.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think Police Academy 4 was the highest grossing one and then it was all downhill from there.

What I'm saying is that Steve Guttenberg is a national treasure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I’ve heard the argument that for sequels there is a lag in box office where the bad ones don’t actually start to see results until the next one.

But that’s an incredibly hard theory to test

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

You can't work on a movie described like that and not know you've set out to make something terrible.

Like everyone involved must of known they were creating something that would make the world worse by it's existence, but they did it anyway.

I hope they were all haunted by many Christmas ghosts telling them they sucked, and what not.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I’ve heard the argument that for sequels there is a lag in box office where the bad ones don’t actually start to see results until the next one.

But that’s an incredibly hard theory to test

Look at the box office numbers of any long horror franchise and you'll see it.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse
Well it's a new year, time to create a new thread, call it Who Greenlighted 2022?: Maxwell is Found Guilty and The Hollywood Elliets are going to be making GBS threads Bricks.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
But it’s still 2021 tho?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Driftingmouse posted:

Well it's a new year, time to create a new thread, call it Who Greenlighted 2022?: Maxwell is Found Guilty and The Hollywood Elliets are going to be making GBS threads Bricks.

Why would they be making GBS threads bricks now? She obviously didn’t tell anyone anything.

Driftingmouse
May 26, 2021

by Fritz the Horse

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why would they be making GBS threads bricks now? She obviously didn’t tell anyone anything.

Just trust me, trust me :smug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
audiences dont want original years. They want 2020 II

greenlight the thread

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

OP of new thread is done, will go over it again after i wake up before posting in case I made some ridiculous error. Format is different from the usual just because of how weird things are.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

dr_rat posted:

You can't work on a movie described like that and not know you've set out to make something terrible.

Like everyone involved must of known they were creating something that would make the world worse by it's existence, but they did it anyway.

I hope they were all haunted by many Christmas ghosts telling them they sucked, and what not.

I liked Nightmare Before Christmas :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What I'm saying is that Steve Guttenberg is a national treasure.

That's one way to out yourself as a Stonecutter.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tars Tarkas posted:

OP of new thread is done, will go over it again after i wake up before posting in case I made some ridiculous error. Format is different from the usual just because of how weird things are.

R.I.P. to the last 2 years, lets hope 2022 is a slightly somewhat marginal improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

New two years, new thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989469