Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the hover technology's not quite there yet but it's the next best thing

the future's so bright, I gotta wear an insulin pump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Segway Guy from Happy Wheels rides again.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I met the creator of the Segway, Dean Kamen, once. He's a real douchebag.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Lol remember when the Segway boss reversed one off a cliff and died?

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

sudonim posted:

I met the creator of the Segway, Dean Kamen, once. He's a real douchebag.

He has done great work. I was on a robotics team in high school and I coach one now.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
honestly can you think of a better metaphor for the future. like it was supposed to revolutionize everything and instead they just corrall the worst humans ever into the worst parts of every city. it;s exactly what we deserve.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

honestly can you think of a better metaphor for the future. like it was supposed to revolutionize everything and instead they just corrall the worst humans ever into the worst parts of every city. it;s exactly what we deserve.

One thing I thought was off point for wall e was that the fat people lived for hundreds of years

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Originally the Segway technology was developed for a wheelchair that would elevate and balance amongst other things so people with disabilities had better mobility and access to things up high.

Then I think DK has his ego get to him and marketed Segway as some revolutionary people mover, then after that flamed out he sold it to the guy who careened off a cliff.

Dean has a kinda eh personality but has started up some good stuff like FIRST and other noble medical devices.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
when i was a kid one of my friend's dads worked on it. it was all hush-hush back then so all i knew was that it involved a gyroscope somehow. much later after it didn't really take off they had one in their garage you could go around in circles on

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Segway still exists?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
want something to bridge the gap between my ambulatory years and the rascal scooter that will be my tomb

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
OP where do I pre order, my fat gently caress of a body wants to ride in comfort

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
2-3 days into 2020 and this is where you are as a person

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Segway still exists?

i think they still make a few for when they do one of those bits on tv where theyre all like "lol remember this?"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

the temptation to angrily write dystopian medical novels rises.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I remember back in the day when a large number of hopeful nerds speculated that the revolutionary "The Thing" would bring hover technology or some kind of anti-gravity to the masses. That this lone inventor had finally figured it out.

They were pretty disappointed.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Yo the it's the future, at least put the passenger in a plexiglass bubble like in a Jetsons car. Rocks and drinks will be thrown.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Mooey Cow posted:

I remember back in the day when a large number of hopeful nerds speculated that the revolutionary "The Thing" would bring hover technology or some kind of anti-gravity to the masses. That this lone inventor had finally figured it out.

Yeah, it was super hyped up. Didn't Steve Jobs say they'd design cities around it? Lol, nice scooter.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Mall cops, meter maids, those jerks at the airport that tell you to move your car. All users of the Segway.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Segway still exists?

Yeah, they were bought out by the company in China that made knock-offs of their products.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Segway still exists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5Rs8zdEHJw

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Mooey Cow posted:

I thought they were called it "It". But yeah it was so big it needed no name during the hype phase.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I remember going to a Gamestop in the mall like ten years ago and seeing some middle-aged guy in a suit looking at games while on his Segway.

I had a friend who got one of those Segway Minis after trying one out, saying it would revolutionize how he traveled since he taught at a school close to where he lived. I think he used it for maybe three months.

I had another friend who got a job doing Segway tours for some company. Apparently they tried to stiff him out of overtime pay.

I envy the guy who fell off a cliff and died.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Sten Freak posted:

I thought they were called it "It". But yeah it was so big it needed no name during the hype phase.

Yeah that's right! "IT" was what they were calling it. Truly one of mankind's greatest achievements, as far as wet farts go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I see people riding these one wheel scooter things around town

They do not look safe or even really that fun to ride, and I have to imagine they are a pain in the rear end to lock up or carry inside. Just get a loving bicycle you dork.

Having said that I do want to buy one of those kits that turns a skateboard into a self-propelling skateboard and build a kicker ramp to launch into my pool