Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

2021 MOTYC: Emi Sakura vs Antonio Honda vs Rin Rin vs Obihiro Sayaka vs Chon Shiryu in a New Year's Deathmatch - Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #77, 1/1

2021 HM: Rin Rin vs Antonio Honda - Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #78, 1/3 (local time)

2021 MOTYC: Emi Sakura vs Minoru Fujita - Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #78, 1/3 (local time)

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

12/20 | RED vs. Toryumon Generation in a No DQ Elimination Losing Unit Disbands Match - Dragon Gate Final Gate (4 votes)

This is probably my Match of the Year and the most Five Star Match that Dragon Gate's done in a very good year for them. It might not hit as hard if you're not deep into Dragon Gate/Toryumon but the drama still pops off the screen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dango Bango posted:

Jerusalem, do you keep track of total votes for matches? I'm curious what PSP's top vote-getting match was this year.

I don't, no, while it would be fun there's so many nominations that once something reaches the 7 vote threshold I just mark it as complete, add it to the first page lists and move on. I could add an extra field to track overflow numbers but it would be adding more work to something that is already a lot of work.

What I think might be neat is once the 2020 thread is closed, maybe doing a vote on the legit MOTY (and WMOTY) from the lists on the first page. Probably the best way to do that though would be through another Top 10 ranking like we're currently doing for our favorite active wrestler of the year, but I'd rather not be responsible for two of those tournaments at the same time. If somebody else wanted to take the lists and run a tournament for it though, by all means please do!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I don't, no, while it would be fun there's so many nominations that once something reaches the 7 vote threshold I just mark it as complete, add it to the first page lists and move on. I could add an extra field to track overflow numbers but it would be adding more work to something that is already a lot of work.

What I think might be neat is once the 2020 thread is closed, maybe doing a vote on the legit MOTY (and WMOTY) from the lists on the first page. Probably the best way to do that though would be through another Top 10 ranking like we're currently doing for our favorite active wrestler of the year, but I'd rather not be responsible for two of those tournaments at the same time. If somebody else wanted to take the lists and run a tournament for it though, by all means please do!

No worries at all. You already do more than enough for this thread. Was just curious is all.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I like that our list doesn't necessarily exist to find a single "Match of the Year" but instead accurately reflects all of the different promotions we watch and enjoy. Nobody else's year end list is going to have every match from TJPW's November Show on it, for instance. Or a ton of Gatoh Move.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Dango Bango posted:

Jerusalem, do you keep track of total votes for matches? I'm curious what PSP's top vote-getting match was this year.

Willing to bet it was Omega/Page vs. Young Bucks.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Bray Wyatt vs John Cena, Mania

Finally took the time to look it up and it sure was a thing.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I don't mind handling that if nobody else has stepped up. I've got two months off from the end of January which I imagine would be a good deadline for lists so I won't be too busy to compile the lists

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Two of you cowards need to step up and MOTYC Jay/Yujiro :colbert:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Neodoomium posted:

2021 MOTYC: Emi Sakura vs Antonio Honda vs Rin Rin vs Obihiro Sayaka vs Chon Shiryu in a New Year's Deathmatch - Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #77, 1/1

2021 MOTYC: Emi Sakura vs Minoru Fujita - Gatoh Move/ChocoPro #78, 1/3 (local time)

Nth, Gatoh Move is only 2 MOTYCs below main roster WWE and should be beating them but these are also great matches

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 3, 2021

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Neodoomium posted:

Nth for all.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HM - DDT New Year's Gift January 3rd 2021
Sauna Club (MAO, Shunma Katsumata, Konosuke Takeshita & Yuki Ueno) vs Akito, Shota, Kazuki Hirata & Keisuke Ishii
Yuji Hino, Soma Takao & Tetsuya Endo vs Chris Brookes, HARASHIMA & Kazusada Higuchi

A couple of real good tag matches featuring a ton of great wrestlers

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

SG Bamboo posted:

Sauna Club (MAO, Shunma Katsumata, Konosuke Takeshita & Yuki Ueno) vs Akito, Shota, Kazuki Hirata & Keisuke Ishii
Yuji Hino, Soma Takao & Tetsuya Endo vs Chris Brookes, HARASHIMA & Kazusada Higuchi

Nth to both. Fun multiman nonsense with both of them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

You can post them in here, I'll keep track of them until I put up the new thread on January 4th.

Right you are boss man

HM
1st January
Gatoh Move ChocoPro 77
5 Way New Year Death Match
Emi Sakura vs Antonio Honda vs Rin Rin vs Obihiro Sayaka vs Choun Shiryu

A very silly match featuring Antonio Honda going insane. The aim is to place the mandarin that is hanging from the ceiling on top of 2 mochi. I'd be lying if I said it made sense but it did make me laugh.

HM
1st January
Gatoh Move ChocoPro 77
Best Bros (Baliyan Akki & Mei Suruga) vs Pencil Army (Lulupencil & Minoru Fujita)

Pencil Army isn't for everyone, but if you can take silliness & immersion breaking nonsense in your wrestling then you should really enjoy Lulupencil & friends. Here Big Japan Death Match Champion Minoru Fujita puts on the dungarees & baseball cap to join the army as they try to vanquish the dastardly Best Bros. There's table spots & a ludicrous dive onto a pile of stools & Akki doing some very cool dives using the windows. Utterly unique.

HM
2nd January
All Japan Pro Wrestling New Year's War Night 1
Enfants Terribles (Hokuto Omori, Shotaro Ashino & Yusuke Kodama) vs Akira Francesco, Jake Lee & TAJIRI

Maybe I'm just really wanting this to be the year that AJPW actually get behind Enfants Terribles like they should have in the back half of 2020 but this was a real nice undercard 6 man tag. It goes under 10 minutes, Akira gets ragdolled by Ashino's suplexes, & it teases a potential feud between the leaders of Enfants & JIN so that's cool.

HM
2nd January
Astronauts (Fuminori Abe & Takuya Nomura) vs Ikuto Hidaka & Koji Iwamoto

Astronauts are the BJW Heavyweight Tag Team title holders, Nomura & Abe are two of the most exciting talent on the Japanese indies (Abe works everywhere from Gatoh Move & 666 to Basara & Big Japan, Cagematch has him at 139 appearances in 2020 despite it being a plague shortened year, & they don't even have all his appearances according to Strigga). They are also growing into my favourite tag team of the moment. They just hit guys really hard, so does Hidaka (at one point Hidaka & Nomura start slapping each other & the ringside camera ends up with saliva on the lens because hey, Hidaka hits that hard). Really loving hope they stick around All Japan this year because Astronauts rule, more of this please.

HM
2nd January
All Japan World Tag Team Titles
Violent Giants (Shuji Ishikawa & Suwama) vs NEXTREAM (Kento Miyahara & Yuma Aoyagi)

That's twice in a fortnight I've watched Ishikawa prove he can actually still be really good in tag team matches. It's real good.

HM
3rd January
All Japan Pro Wrestling New Year's War Night 2
All Asia Tag Team Titles
Purple Haze (Izanagi & Zeus) vs Enfants Terribles (Hokuto Omori & Koji Doi)

HM
3rd January
GAORA TV Title
Table, Ladder & Chairs
Yoshitatsu vs Jun Kasai

You've got a death match legend against the long running TV champ (587 day reign as of this event!), there's a ladder set up in the middle of the ring, there's a table in one corner, a pile of chairs in another. Okay, it's weird seeing a TLC match in a very traditional champion but Jun Kasai knows what he's doing & this worked well. They didn't over do the crazy spots, but they did do plenty of traumatic brain injury inducing stuff (Yoshitatsu has the ladder & spins around & Kasai walks into it repeatedly & the first one, holy poo poo), I laughed, I was entralled.

MOTYC
3rd January
Triple Crown Title
Suwama vs Yuma Aoyagi

A match that started slow & built to a bit of overkill, but watching at 5am a bit of overkill was exactly what I needed to stay awake. It probably went a little long but I thought it was Suwama's best title defence since Ashino last summer.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I'll squeeze in a couple more nominations for last year before the thread closes.

HM - DDT/BJW Toshikoshi Pro-Wrestling 2020 ~ Toshiwasure! Shuffle Tag Tournament December 31st

Shunma Katsumata vs Ryuji Ito - Lighttube Death Match
A ten minute sprint where Shunma wrestles most of the match with two dozen thumbthacks in his back. Hard to believe it was only three days before todays DDT show. Shine on Lego Boy, you crazy fucker.

Konosuke Takeshita & Takuya Nomura vs Yuji Okabayashi and HARASHIMA
I knew I was in for a good time when Okabayashi came out in a HARASHIMA ring jacket that was way too small for him, which his usual tag partner Sekimoto would ape in the following match with Endo. Solid action at a great pace considering they were on their second match of the night, and a really creative solution to the time limit draw - sudden death, first team to get a one count wins which I don't recall ever seeing before.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Dimebags Brain posted:

12/20 | RED vs. Toryumon Generation in a No DQ Elimination Losing Unit Disbands Match - Dragon Gate Final Gate (4 votes)

This is probably my Match of the Year and the most Five Star Match that Dragon Gate's done in a very good year for them. It might not hit as hard if you're not deep into Dragon Gate/Toryumon but the drama still pops off the screen.

I'll nth this.

Didn't RED's theme use to be a New Japan guy's? I really recognize it but can't quite place it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Punch McLightning posted:

I'll nth this.

Didn't RED's theme use to be a New Japan guy's? I really recognize it but can't quite place it.

PAC used it while he was Dream Gate champ because he was in the unit.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, that's where I heard it, his European dates last year.

nth to these MOTYCs:

01/26 | HARASHIMA (c) vs. Masato Tanaka for the KO-D Openweight Championship - DDT Sweet Dreams (4 votes)
02/08 | Mayu Iwatani vs. Takumi Iroha - Stardom The Way to Major League 2020 (4 votes)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Punch McLightning posted:

Oh yeah, that's where I heard it, his European dates last year.

if you watch AAA at all you may have heard it there as well as daga uses it based on doing one tour with the unit, which is by this point unsusually long lived by company standaerds

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This thread is way too positive, we need more bullshit to nominate

WMOTYC

01/15 | Hikaru Shida & Kris Statlander vs. Brandi Rhodes & Mel - AEW Dynamite (4 votes)

06/14 | Randy Orton vs. Edge in a The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever match - WWE Backlash (3 votes)

12/20 | The Fiend Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton in an Inferno Match - WWE TLC (3 votes)

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Thauros posted:

if you watch AAA at all you may have heard it there as well as daga uses it based on doing one tour with the unit, which is by this point unsusually long lived by company standaerds

I don't remember Daga using it, but I didn't see a lot of Daga over the past two years.

MOTYC to 03/07 | Jamie Hayter and Bea Priestley (C) vs. Momo Watanabe and Utami Hayashishita for the Goddesses of STARDOM titles - STARDOM No People Gate (4 votes)

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

SG Bamboo posted:

NTH.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TJPW Korakuen 2021 - January 4th

MOTYC
Miyu Yamashita vs Maki Itoh

Fuuuuuck

HM
Hyper Misao vs Shoko Nakajima
100 Gatcha Rope Deathmatch. Absolute Insanity

Saki-sama & Mei Saint Michel vs Sena Shiori & Hikari Noa
Mei-san and Saki-sama rule hard

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

Fuuuuuck

HM

nth.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

Fuuuuuck

HM

nth and i cannot overstate enough how insane the miyu vs maki match is.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC

Fuuuuuck

HM

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i cannot overstate enough how insane the miyu vs maki match is.

Seriously go look up that match it fuckin ruled.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I was planning to wait until the event finished and do it in one go but Miyu/Maki was too good to wait

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

HM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Senerio posted:

Seriously go look up that match it fuckin ruled.

Just to confirm, you're seconding the matches you quoted, right?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm nthing every match I quoted yes.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

MOTYC: Rika Tatsumi versus Yuka Sakazaki

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

MOTYC: Rika Tatsumi versus Yuka Sakazaki

nth.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ItohRespectArmy posted: