Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So last year I learned a good chunk of my lineage on my mother's side, including one ancestor who played an unfortunately grim role in a civil war. I've been researching and finding conflicting accounts of whether his son was really his, or whether he had him with his first or second wife, etc. so I'm thinking of getting my DNA tested and seeing where the lines connect.

As I understand it, the main players are Ancestry DNA, 23 & Me, FamilyTreeDNA, and MyHeritageDNA. I vaguely recall hearing last year that one of them was the one that didn't sell/share your personal info, but I can't remember which one or if that's still the case. I'm also curious as to which one is the best for getting accurate family tree info, and if there are benefits to doing more than just one of them.

Cursory Googling says Ancestry is better for your family tree info while 23 is better for your health profile. Anyone know anything about the other two I mentioned? I'm hoping that this thread can become a handy reference for goons, I figured there'd already be one but a quick search didn't find one, I was kinda surprised at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
THere is a genealogy thread called "Your ancestors sucked too".

E: Its in DIY

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777244

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

wesleywillis posted:

THere is a genealogy thread called "Your ancestors sucked too".

E: Its in DIY

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777244

Thanks!