Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I think I would describe this as a movie that is set in a war, rather than a warmovie. It's not a movie about the war in itself. Kind of like Ad Astra isn't really about space exploration, it just uses that setting to play around with other ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

BigglesSWE posted:

I can see a bit of a meta-thing in the parts of the main and secondary characters in this movie. Essentially, all high ranking officers are played by big names Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott) whereas the main characters and really all regular soldiers are played by either completely or relatively unknown actors. The way I see it is this: Once an actor has gotten a real proper name to his career, he can relax a bit, and pick and choose movies and roles at will. New, ambitious actors however, need to crawl through the dirt and pick risky, sometimes disastrous roles, in order to get that big breakthrough. We see the same in the trenches: The high-ranking officers are more likely to be in the background while the lower ranks are thrust into the fray.

This isn't how it was in reality, though. The proportion of ordinary soldiers (British Army) KIA in WW1 was 12%. General officers (Brigadier and above) was 18.5%, officers in general (2LT and up) was 17%. Eton (big posh school) lost 20% of those who served, and it can be reasonably assumed that they all did so as officers.

According to John Ellis' 'Eye Deep in Hell: Trench Warfare in WWI', subalterns (2LT & 1LT) had a mortality rate of 65-81%. Andrew Scott's character was definitely of one of those ranks; no wonder he seemed to stoical about the whole situation.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

duckmaster posted:

This isn't how it was in reality, though. The proportion of ordinary soldiers (British Army) KIA in WW1 was 12%. General officers (Brigadier and above) was 18.5%, officers in general (2LT and up) was 17%. Eton (big posh school) lost 20% of those who served, and it can be reasonably assumed that they all did so as officers.

According to John Ellis' 'Eye Deep in Hell: Trench Warfare in WWI', subalterns (2LT & 1LT) had a mortality rate of 65-81%. Andrew Scott's character was definitely of one of those ranks; no wonder he seemed to stoical about the whole situation.

That may be so, but in the context of the movie, they clearly weren't in obvious danger.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The biggest takeaway I got from this movie is that we are being criminally deprived by the lack of Mark Strong playing Ibram Gaunt.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Mark Strong leaves a strong mark on any film.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BigglesSWE posted:

That may be so, but in the context of the movie, they clearly weren't in obvious danger.

A more practical reason for the two leads being played by less well-known actors is that there are very few actors (especially British) in their late teens or early twenties who are stars, whereas there are lots on their 30s and 40s. Who is more famous and a good actor who could have played those roles at those ages? (I see a lot of casting discussions around younger actors, and generally one has to go with a less known name as there are so few well-known ones).

Also, the officers clearly were in danger: Blake' brother was in great danger of the attack went forward. That is a key factor in the story. And why would the captain be crying if he wasn't terrified, because he was about to be in danger too?

At one point the average life expectancy for a 2nd LT was something like 2 weeks.

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 7, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The point is that you cast unknowns as the characters that the audience can identify with, whereas the big name stars are people-you-would-not-be. We encounter them fleetingly but do not establish a relationship with them because they are too important, regardless of how sympathetic they are.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
If you're a fan of the long take style of this, Long Day's Journey Into Night has a hour-long sequence with 0 cuts that has a ton of complex camera moves and is shot/shown in 3D. Pretty wild

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

This is probably my favorite movie trivia ever

https://twitter.com/mavericksmovies/status/1225860253595529216?s=21

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

zer0spunk posted:

If you're a fan of the long take style of this, Long Day's Journey Into Night has a hour-long sequence with 0 cuts that has a ton of complex camera moves and is shot/shown in 3D. Pretty wild

It's funny, I remember next to nothing about the first half of that movie but I can picture that entire single shot 3D dream sequence very vividly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

The point is that you cast unknowns as the characters that the audience can identify with, whereas the big name stars are people-you-would-not-be. We encounter them fleetingly but do not establish a relationship with them because they are too important, regardless of how sympathetic they are.

I am pretty sure that they would have cast bigger names had they been available. A film of that budget would need names to support the marketing etc; they couldn't get them for the leads (where you'd usually have stars), so they packed the supporting roles with stars to up the wattage and give it a good ensemble. That is common in cases where the scope to cast stars as the lead (usually due to age) is limited. I know how these discussions go. If they wanted complete unknowns that nobody had any associations with they wouldn't have cast someone from GOT.