Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
shut the gently caress UP OP!!!
Xbox
Playstation
Nintendo
PC SUPREMACY BITCH
Gokustation
View Results

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Not really

The licensing thing did several things.

1) Nintendo limited how many games a company could put out per year (this was especially true on the NES). Though there were some real bad games on the NES, the idea was that it prevented companies from just flooding the market with every piece of poo poo game they could think of, which is what killed Atari, and they didn't want that to happen again

2) Unlicensed NES games literally sent a jolt of electricity through your NES, so the license was a way of assuring the game wasn't going to destroy your toploader or whatever.

The way that people have this fawning adoration for early Nintendo's ruthless exploitation of game developers with their forced scarcity and hugely expensive proprietary cartridges and labeling their products as toys rather than electronics to avoid regulations and taxes is really weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

P~5

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sleeveless posted:

The way that people have this fawning adoration for early Nintendo's ruthless exploitation of game developers with their forced scarcity and hugely expensive proprietary cartridges and labeling their products as toys rather than electronics to avoid regulations and taxes is really weird.

There's generally this bizarre notion amongst gamers that Nintendo is some consumer friendly company that really "cares" about the gamers while consistently being one of the most stubborn, draconian, and difficult companies in the medium.

I mean, just look at the manufactured scarcity of Switch's physical copies in order to cut down on used sales and funnel people onto the Switch digital store to buy games that are hardly ever marked down at any signifigant or noticeable rate.

They're just as bad as anyone else and always have been.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

There's generally this bizarre notion amongst gamers that Nintendo is some consumer friendly company that really "cares" about the gamers while consistently being one of the most stubborn, draconian, and difficult companies in the medium.

I mean, just look at the manufactured scarcity of Switch's physical copies in order to cut down on used sales and funnel people onto the Switch digital store to buy games that are hardly ever marked down at any signifigant or noticeable rate.

They're just as bad as anyone else and always have been.

Thankfully that all came around to bite them in the rear end with the Playstation and here we are celebrating the upcoming fifth entry in the Playstation family :cheers:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

I'm not sure if you are referring to me but I think Nintendo was one of the most anti-consumer companies on the planet, especially from the mid 80s to late 90s. They're still poo poo with the way they treat their fans (youtube copyrights, suing people who make fan games); the whole Game Genie thing soured me on them permanently. Also they used to make you file a loving police report if you wanted to get your 3DS download purchases back lmao

They're a despicable company but the licensing thing made sense. And they just happen to make incredible games.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

His uncle died for Nintendo

lol

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
drat i hosed up my vote. mods please change my vote to the "shut the gently caress UP OP!!!" option. thanks

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
PeniS 5 (inches)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i'm fatter with age and can see my less of my dick as you'd expect but at least my console numbers are pretty big, bigger than average even

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i'm fatter with age and can see my less of my dick as you'd expect but at least my console numbers are pretty big, bigger than average even

There were 64 N's before Nintendo gave up because they realized if they didnt quit while they were ahead people would notice how many times they said the Gamer word

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

There were 64 N's before Nintendo gave up because they realized if they didnt quit while they were ahead people would notice how many times they said the Gamer word

64 N's for a 32 bit console stealing bit valor lmao, also them lovely controllers that only work as sextoys, then ninty followed up with Lunchbox Console For Squares

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

watch me bash and belittle that miyamojo itt

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

voting sega saturn, fools tryna stop me get 32Xed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyv6ZehQyTQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

64 N's for a 32 bit console stealing bit valor lmao, also them lovely controllers that only work as sextoys, then ninty followed up with Lunchbox Console For Squares

N64 controller buttons broke more than any controller I owned before or since not to mention the analog sticks becoming loose and drifting those things sucked huge rear end