Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
original canadian version of holmes on homes was much better

lot more practical fixes, and they spend most of their time fixing brand new badly-constructed shitboxes which is v helpful knowledge for the average person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I like "Holmes on Homes" and all the other Mike Holmes shows

he has written books packed with knowledge

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

seriously though how much acreage is required to shoot guns as part of my day to day

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

GORDON posted:

Harrison Ford put up a massive wall of boulders so rafters couldn't see his house from the river.

Harrison Ford flies his own helicopter to help rescue stranded / missing hikers. He’s probably one of the few rich elites I wouldn’t eat when the revolution comes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Harrison Ford flies his own helicopter to help rescue stranded / missing hikers. He’s probably one of the few rich elites I wouldn’t eat when the revolution comes.

He smokes enough weed that he's give you the same effect as edibles if you did.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Blistex posted:

He smokes enough weed that he's give you the same effect as edibles if you did.

Hmmm... maybe in that case I’d have to rethink my position and save him for last.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

rap music posted:

he has written books packed with knowledge

- if you're going to do it, do it right the first time
-

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mozi posted:

- if you're going to do it, do it right the first time
-

- Hire 11 different crews to make things right.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
":( The bathroom doesn't have a double vanity. We can't buy this house."

*house has 4 loving bathrooms with sinks

Also:

lambskin posted:

Here's the fireplace and brown decor moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E50LlhmMwKA

This is amazing. You can hear her weeping in the other room. I can't stop laughing this poo poo is awesome.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 23, 2020

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

It's on DIY network, but Renovation Realities is pretty drat entertaining. Watching regular schlubs try to install a bathroom tub while everything goes wrong is my kinda TV. Great drinking games, too. Take a shot every time there's a leak, they have to return something to a store, an 80lb wife wields a sledgehammer, someone gets hurt, the counter installers arrive early, or someone says "It doesn't fit."

Sure, half the time the husband is in construction so he actually knows what he's doing, but you're still just as likely to see a total trainwreck where at the end of the show the kitchen is gutted but the owners ran out of time and money.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I am actually considerably depressed because despite the "lol pick is rich" jokes (I've always clarified I'm not), I just cannot afford a house here at all. Every time I look at one it's already 150% list, cash-offer only. so cram it, you turds

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Pick posted:

I am actually considerably depressed because despite the "lol pick is rich" jokes (I've always clarified I'm not), I just cannot afford a house here at all. Every time I look at one it's already 150% list, cash-offer only. so cram it, you turds

But a fixer upper and fix it upper.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

rap music posted:

seriously though how much acreage is required to shoot guns as part of my day to day

Depends on the configuration. I would say minimum 20 if you're willing to build a berm and back it up with trees.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

rap music posted:

The correct answer is "check your municipal bylaws". Some places outright ban all firearms use within certain limits (sometimes nothing allowed within 5km of city limits) and sometimes there isn't anything in the books and you have to refer to state/provincial law. Laws differ massively, and in some places you can blast glass bottles sitting on the fence between your quarter acre yard and the school next door, and in other cases you have to be target shooting in conditions that are more suited to testing nuclear weapons. If you're serious about this, read up so you don't make a mistake that gets your rear end shot by the cops or thrown in jail.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Texas is apparently the place to get a house. My brother put 20k down last year and moved into a pretty cozy one in a quiet neighborhood. Doing the rent to own thing for the ten years which is running him the cost of a one bedroom apartment but in the meantime his daughter and his dog get a nice backyard with a swing set and he gets to throw BBQs and live out all his old self sufficient gardening fantasies.

He was a highschool dropout and dealt with a lot of other issues until five years ago he suddenly he turned normal at 35 and got married and a job repairing ACs. It's pretty alarming having him suddenly not be the fuckup of the family anymore, because it leaves me thinking that maybe the fuckup is me.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 27, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pick posted:

My town publishes a magazine and they also post the highest and lowest home purchases in the year (not by name or address just amount) and mine ended up being the lowest that year.

A quarter million for a 740 sq ft condo lmao. They're putting up townhouses near me and they're 1.1 million.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 27, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Half the people in this thread are reading these "outrageous" home prices and going "holy poo poo, that's cheap as gently caress I want to move there"

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zoe posted:

It's pretty alarming having him suddenly not be the fuckup of the family anymore, because it leaves me thinking that maybe the fuckup is me.
He has to live in Texas, but then, you're posting here. So I can't decide.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Being an AC guy anywhere in the south is a guaranteed way to always have a job. Even if you're terrible, you can always take home warranty jobs from American Home Shield.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Groovelord Neato posted:

A quarter million for a 740 sq ft condo lmao. They're putting up townhouses near me and they're 1.1 million.

In Toronto, for a condo the average cost per sq foot in Oct 2019 was $1,275.

e: roughly 4x

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

rap music posted:

If you live in Florida you can put a mound of dirt in the backyard and fire away, even if there's a school nearby. This has been an ongoing issue for years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zoe posted:

It's pretty alarming having him suddenly not be the fuckup of the family anymore, because it leaves me thinking that maybe the fuckup is me.

Once you're the family gently caress up, it doesn't matter if you win the Nobel Peace Prize, you're still going to be the gently caress up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Another Bill posted:

In Toronto, for a condo the average cost per sq foot in Oct 2019 was $1,275.

e: roughly 4x

As expensive as my area is (I wanna say the Boston area is third or something nationwide and if I was in Boston proper my condo would cost twice as much) we don't have rich Chinese buying up all the real estate.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 27, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, one of my brothers and I routinely trade the "idiot" child title in our family. We're kinda tied right now.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Groovelord Neato posted:

As expensive as my area is (I wanna say the Boston area is third or something nationwide and if I was in Boston proper my condo would cost twice as much) we don't have rich Chinese buying up all the real estate.

I love Boston fwiw, I'm hoping to get on a business trip there next month. I haven't been there since I went to MacWorld Expo a million years ago

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Pick posted:

Hey Pick wanna eat trash, be gay, do crimes, and go flip off all the rich people up on council crest?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pick posted:

you're in Portland, right?

if your primary concern is really the developers/flippers/etc. coming in with cash offers and you can get pre-approved for a mortgage that will cover the list price of properties you're interested in I'd encourage you to keep looking - my wife and I thought we'd stuck with a condo/townhome but since we'd gotten all of our financial ducks in a row we decided to look at single-family houses that we could juuusssssst about swing and ended up getting a really nice one in SW for list (through a combination of having visited it the day before the open-house and then looking at a few others that same day and going "oh poo poo we should really put in an offer" and getting that first-mover advantage, and seller circumstances - they were getting divorced and apparently were a couple of weeks from a tax write-off, so we pushed the close date and gave them a month of free "rent," which I think they valued significantly more than what it cost us to stay in our apartment, and they essentially paid for everything substantial that came up during our extensive home inspection)

that's obviously pretty specific and lucky circumstances, but that was also the case when my friend did the whole "look what a cute and charming breeding pair of Timbers mega-fans we are" thing - the point is that there is stuff out there if you're ready to move on it

still really brutal out there though, especially if you want a good location (and you do, though what a "good location" is will obviously vary, since while I have very good bus access/drive time to downtown my neighborhood is undeniably an old unhip upper-working->middle class suburb) - we've kept up on other homes in our area/price range and I do not have buyer's remorse

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 27, 2020

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

If you live in Florida you can put a mound of dirt in the backyard and fire away, even if there's a school nearby. This has been an ongoing issue for years.

nice I see there’s no income tax either

all of florida is a bog right? how prevalent are feral swamp folk?

e, speling

rap music fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 27, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

rap music posted:

nice I see there’s no income tax either

all of florida is a big right? how prevalent are feral swamp folk?

My Boomer boss will occasionally stroll into my cube and rave about how in Florida, if you don't have kids going to public school, you don't have to pay taxes for schools.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I suspect that's bullshit besides maybe in those retirement communities, where you have to be lame and 55 to get in.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The most depressing thing about hgtv is walking through properties soldflipped by people who watch it.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

the yeti posted:

The most depressing thing about hgtv is walking through properties soldflipped by people who watch it.

I'd say the "every object and surface in this home has to be stark white" trend that it exposed to the masses is one of it's most depressing aspects outside of the, "it's not a home, it's an investment". My wife and I saw an open house and we decided to check it out for fun (2000 sq ft, 1.2 million) and I'm not kidding that it was like being inside an Apple store. The place had just been put up, the previous week, and already you could see smears around all of the light switches and scuffs in the stairs and closets.

Also the place had 13 sinks! 2 in the kitchen, 1 in the pantry, 1 in the main floor half bath, 2 in the master bedroom bath. 2 in the upstairs shared bedrooms bathroom, 1 in the upstairs half bath, 1 in the basement half bath. 2 in the basement full bath, and 1 in the basement wet bar. It was a 5 bedroom home. 3 upstairs, 2 in the basement. Surprisingly the place was not "open concept, and the closets, main floor half bath, and pantry cupboards made it a loop that you had to walk around. You could see the kitchen or the front entrance from the dining room, but not the living room. You could see the kitchen or front entrance from the living room, but not the dining room, etc. Most of the places that we took at peek at were just massive caves of everything on the main floor being exposed, and were quite shocked to see a new build that didn't echo this.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Blistex posted:

I'd say the "every object and surface in this home has to be stark white" trend that it exposed to the masses is one of it's most depressing aspects[...]

"entire house done in clearanced materials from Home Depot in white and 2 shades of grey" isn't your aesthetic? :monocle:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

the yeti posted:

"entire house done in clearanced materials from Home Depot in white and 2 shades of grey" isn't your aesthetic? :monocle:

You forgot the "pallet wall" accent in the living room and rolling "rustic" door on the kitchen pantry.

That said, just think about how much money they saved on finish materials by taking out the kitchen and living room walls and completely vanishing the dining room. Who needs doors?

corgski fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 28, 2020

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm watching more Home Town and I think this is the best show on the network.

Aside from the charisma the hosts Ben and Erin have, they actually work on real properties. Houses that actually have limitations like small spaces and owner preferences, it's all fun to watch. The houses and owners they work for actually feel like they exist in the real world, rather than examples of the rich and famous with unlimited funds. The show makes an approach of something not unlike, "hey, making something like this in my own home looks like it could actually be feasible."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Also, they are pretty conscious about reusing things and dont do "yay demo day" dumb poo poo with a bunch of sledgehammers.

The more I see hometown, the more it rubs in how dumb the rest of the networks shows are.