Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

So what is a normie anyway

Stalin-Chan posted:

What even is a normie.

Someone who only likes popular things to an extreme degree (i.e because they're popular), and has no interest in exploring beyond that.

In the 00s it would basically be someone who only watched things like naruto, one piece and bleach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I still remember this conversation between 11 y/o boys at a summer camp I went to in the 90s.

Boy 1: My favorite anime is Dragonball Z!
Boy 2: Mine is Tenchi Muyo!
Boy 1 isn't that for girls?
Boy 2: what no way! It's full of babes!
Boy 3: I really like Cardcaptors! ..... :shobon: for the art I mean, it's really good

I think I was like 9 at the time so it was a really seminal lesson to me on gender politics

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Same thing with Sailor Moon and Magic Knight Rayearth. I feel ya'. :(:hf::(

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I remember watching some magical girl shows when I was young and liking them. I have vague memories of watching Tokyo Mew Mew and I don’t know why it sticks out to me so much

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Smoking Crow posted:

So what is a normie anyway
riajuu, posited as the opposite of otaku. 4chan translated it to a non-pc slur before we got to normie in the modern day

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Goku is a bad dad

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I've watched all the anime classics, like naruto

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Ya'll ever watch dbz abridged

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
You mean Japanimation?

Penis Inspection
Jan 11, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Isn't that this weird stuff with like incest, nonsensical plots, dragons and excessive violence? No thanks, I'm a normal adult. Anyway have you started watching Games of Thrones? Trust me it's really good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The lion the witch and the wardrobe is isekai lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
idiocracy is isekai

Penis Inspection
Jan 11, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is the first isekai, then?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sword art online

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Netflix had a fascinating documentary about anime recently

EdgyCoffeeMug
Jan 11, 2019

ive actually been watching the first 30 episodes of the original pokemon over the past few months and its already my favorite anime, does this make me a normie?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This Ping Pong bs looks like garbage what is this rotoscoping poo poo??

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

EdgyCoffeeMug posted:

ive actually been watching the first 30 episodes of the original pokemon over the past few months and its already my favorite anime, does this make me a normie?

Pokemon is good. You should also check out the pokemon Sun and moon anime at some point-a very different style of animation, but it honestly works to make the show much more lively and charming.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
one of my former coworkers named two of his kids kenpachi and jiraiya

EdgyCoffeeMug
Jan 11, 2019

Julias posted:

Pokemon is good. You should also check out the pokemon Sun and moon anime at some point-a very different style of animation, but it honestly works to make the show much more lively and charming.

i definitely will...just checked and sun & moon is in the same torrent that i'm using so i'll get to it eventually

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Let me be clear. Eroticism has its place and I welcome it, but immoderate, over the top fanservice is only desired by cringe-lords. I don't watch too much anime but even shows I think of like Bebop have their share but it seems like there was a clear point in the past where it became especially egregious.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I PLAY THE MAGIC CARD POT OF GREED. THIS CARD ALLOWS ME TO DRAW TWO CARDS TO MY HAND

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Reads the latest chapter of Beastars: Lol what is this Jojo bullshit

Narrator voice: Actually it's Baki bullshit

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Penis Inspection posted:

What is the first isekai, then?

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Japanimation is pretty good because they're very attentive to detail and respectful of the work of artisans in Japan!