Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

I got a stack of origami paper for Christmas and I've been playing around with it. I was enjoying myself but I ran into trouble finding resources online once I did the two interesting things on each site. There seemed to only be a couple of useful, non-kid-focused origami websites.

Do we have any Masters of the Fold here? Is my best bet just to find a book or something? What sites can you recommend?

I was thinking about finally getting down to do a thousand crane, but even then I imagine I'd want a break every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A former teacher of mine published multiple books on it. Look up origami chessset for a project that will take you an unbelievable amount of time and paper

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

We have youtube these days, so I recommend that. Books tend to run into the problem of getting confusing with the step-by-steps, even if you're a visually oriented person.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

HUG ME FOREVER posted:

We have youtube these days, so I recommend that. Books tend to run into the problem of getting confusing with the step-by-steps, even if you're a visually oriented person.

*reading a book*

I don't get it. :question:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Learn to make jumping frogs. Then whenever you get bored or suddenly have to deal with a small child out of nowhere you have a toy to kill time with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5t4klo-SA

HUG ME FOREVER
Dec 6, 2006

Gay for TF2! :love:

Literally A Person posted:

*reading a book*

We live in mysterious times

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Literally A Person posted:

*reading a book*

The female origami is a myth.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I'm disappointed in how poo poo this thread is so far because an origami thread could be really cool and this isn't.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

foldin' that paper

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I make lil origami book corners for all the books I read, and the occasional self-locking envelope note for a loved one. When I'm bored waiting somewhere I'll fold a couple butterflies and just leave them around. Who put these goddamn butterflies here, they'll say.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I used to do tons of origami as a kid. I could do a good bit of the intermediate stuff in the books I had, plus a few things on the lower end of advanced.

I can’t remember why I stopped doing it, but I think I quit sometime around middle school.

Origami is a pretty great way to kill time, although looking back, part of me wishes I had spent that time doing something useful instead. Like exercising or studying.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

doctorfrog posted:

I make lil origami book corners for all the books I read, and the occasional self-locking envelope note for a loved one. When I'm bored waiting somewhere I'll fold a couple butterflies and just leave them around. Who put these goddamn butterflies here, they'll say.

A couple weeks ago I taught my students how to fold three-corner hats. Then to dispose of the billions of hats they left in my classroom, I told a couple of students to thoroughly hide them throughout the school. They're gonna be finding hats long after I'm gone.

A lot of my students convert their worksheets into origami. :eng99:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I had a buddy in college from Japan that was always really paranoid because he'd overstayed his visa, also his english wasn't great, so maybe it was just that. He'd get like 2 beers in him, stop talking for the most part and then you'd look back over at what he was doing and he'd have made something like the entire star wars cast (correct colored lightsabers and all) out of origami paper. Guy was amazing, I'm pretty sure he invented his own designs, and would do some really crazy stuff on commission, the one I was most familiar with was a 4 ft tall optimus prime for one of the local bars.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i only commit tradition sudoku

pork steaks
May 30, 2017

a lovely boy
I used to be big into origami when I was on elementary school and now all I can remember how to make is a flapping bird. There are tons of books with easy to follow instructions for making origami. Hit up a library

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant believe no one has said it but feel free to post the Origami, both OP and anyone else in this thread who has papercraft they want to share

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Fun craft idea: Make a bunch of caltrops out of dress making pins and these and than throw a handfull of them in your enemies faces.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

Fun craft idea: Make a bunch of caltrops out of dress making pins and these and than throw a handfull of them in your enemies faces.

I love bees, thank you. Are you supposed to color the paper with markers though or what's going on here?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the chiefs beat the texans 51-31. that's a scorigami!

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the chiefs beat the texans 51-31. that's a scorigami!

No, man, you're thinking of a haiku.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I once made an origami hydralisk, it was pretty hard but looked surprisingly good.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Make a dodecahedron, OP. That's the best shape there is!

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
i do a fair bit of origami, here's a couple of pics of things i made:

generally i use books or find diagrams online but some people prefer videos. myself i prefer to make animals and things like that but there's also modular origami where you make big cool shapes out of a lot of small geometric folds

gotta go to work soon but will try to post more things tonight

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

These are going to look pretty rough compared to Jeb's above but here are some simple ones I did the other day. The better ones have been given away, so this is what's left.
I attribute the sloppy lines to imprecise folding, I'm assuming there's not much else you can get wrong.

Typically I don't like folding anything with curves on it instead of all folds but I tried this one anyways. I think I tried to make something else with this one but couldn't figure it out which is why you get the misfolds, which I feel deep shame about.

The best site I found so far is this one. I'm hoping there are some good other ones. I will have to drop by the library sometime soon to see the book selection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This site also has diagrams for all kinds of origami.

There's a bunch of sites if you look for 折り紙.

Edit: These are adorable https://origami-mobile.com/animal/animal-small/index.html

itry fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 14, 2020