Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Longshot but could be Revenge of a Kabuki Actor (1963)? Protagonist is a female impersonator, out for revenge, lots of very stylish set design and cinematography.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

magic cactus posted:

I'm positive this wasn't a 60s/70s set film. One of those typical samurai era flicks. I might have to poke around the lady snowboard sequels and see if something jogs my memory. That scene of the village with the deep purple night sky is very vivid in my mind's eye, but I don't have anything else firm to go on. I might try contacting the owner of the little theater in NYC that showed it a few years back, maybe he kept an archive program or something. I checked their website from the year I remember seeing it (2020), but looks like the web archives don't go back that far.

Thanks a bunch for attempting to track this down!

Edit: Does anyone know if Lady Snowblood had completely unrelated films released baring the Name to cash in on the hype? Maybe it's one of those?

are you positive it wasn't a well loved print? Colors can get.....colory (im not a projectionist idk what to call it)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Also that entire era was awash in weird day-for-night shooting. I’m colorblind so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as if I’m gonna notice purple, but they certainly seemed to be trying some wild poo poo.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014

magic cactus posted:

Howdy!

Trying to track down an old kung-fu movie but the name has escaped me. late 60's-mid 70s at the latest, 98% sure it's not shaw brothers. Plot concerns a woman out for revenge. What struck me was the set design, particularly one scene that takes place in a village at night, with the sky being this deep purple color that almost looked like an expressionist painting. I'm almost certain "snow" or "lady" or "vengeance" was in the title somewhere. I checked Lady Snowblood but that wasn't it. Thanks for any help.

Sounds like the finale of Blind Woman's Curse (1970).

It was one of Meiko Kaji's first starring roles, a couple years before she was Scorpion and Snowblood.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Wow, that's stunning.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I'll have to check that out

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Horse in Tears posted:

It was one of Meiko Kaji's first starring roles, a couple years before she was Scorpion and Snowblood.

streaming on arrow, hell yeah

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Tim Burton's Kill Bill

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

The Horse in Tears posted:

DING DING DING that's it thank you so much! I was gonna call the theater but you got it in one, can't forget that sky.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
That looks amazing.

A stupid one: Anyone recall a 70'sish spaceship movie where the ships computer travels around the ceiling on rails? Probably not Dark Star. Possibly English, definitely boring.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Failson posted:

That looks amazing.

A stupid one: Anyone recall a 70'sish spaceship movie where the ships computer travels around the ceiling on rails? Probably not Dark Star. Possibly English, definitely boring.

Moon - Gerty does this

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
That’d make sense because Jones has said he included a lot of little references in the film - like GERTY has HAL design with the single lens, the plants called Ridley and Kathryn (Scott and Bigalow).

Does the computer in Flight of the Navigator come from the roof? I can barely remember it except circles of light, maybe on the walls or out of the walls or from the roof.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Moon - Gerty does this

I forgot Gerty in Moon! But it wasn't Moon. Moon was good.

Google actually spit out the answer, guess it isn't completely dead after all.
Turns out I was remembering Lifepod (1981). Here's the scootin' ceiling computer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSnIX6FZ8EM&t=3490s

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failson posted:

I forgot Gerty in Moon! But it wasn't Moon. Moon was good.

Google actually spit out the answer, guess it isn't completely dead after all.
Turns out I was remembering Lifepod (1981). Here's the scootin' ceiling computer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSnIX6FZ8EM&t=3490s

Scooting’ ceiling computer would make a good username.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

therattle posted:

The avatar is a Sony Aibo dragging it's rear end across the ceiling.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cat Hatter posted:

The avatar is a Sony Aibo dragging it's rear end across the ceiling.

That reminds me, I saw a clip from a lovely old action movie recently and the killer assassin robot was a 1980s Tomy Omnibot 2000 with a headset and a fake nose

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 17, 2024

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Mods, please change my username.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That reminds me, I saw a clip from a lovely old action movie recently and the killer assassin robot was a 1980s Tomy Omnibot 2000 with a headset and a fake nose

Shoulda gone with sunglasses instead.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Guy yelling "POINTLESS... SO POINTLESS!!!" as he's falling to his death

Some lesser or unknown YouTube guy used this in his review of the 1988 Felix the Cat movie. Movie (show? :confused) appeared to be low production, not new, probably 70s or earlier.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
This is the beginning of the movie, I think. You see a ballerina dancing, close-up of her feet. As she keeps dancing, you notice the tips of her shoes getting red, until she is dripping blood on the dance floor. My guess is something italian from the 80s, but that's just a wild giallo guess.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

busalover posted:

This is the beginning of the movie, I think. You see a ballerina dancing, close-up of her feet. As she keeps dancing, you notice the tips of her shoes getting red, until she is dripping blood on the dance floor. My guess is something italian from the 80s, but that's just a wild giallo guess.

I've seen a scene like that. I think it's John Wick 2?

The only other movies with ballerinas I've seen in recent years were Black Swan and the original 1977 Suspira, so it could be one of those too.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

busalover posted:

Save The Last Dance has scenes with a ballerina practicing to open the movie (IIRC) and then just past the mid-point she's practicing again in a montage, and we see her feet being blistered and bloody. Been a while since I've seen it, and I can't really recommend it.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
Film around 2008 a girlfriend at the time got from Netflix when they mailed you dvds. It was horror/suspense film set on a sailboat. A group of friends drift into a fog that is kind of like a purgatory. Some of the friends disappear and later reappear but act strange. It had a very low budget look about it. Did not come out in theaters, straight to dvd. Its not Triangle. I'll add addition info if i can remember.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The Reeds?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I got an easy one.
Don't know why I can't remember it but a knight on a horse calls for his squire (possibly calls him sword boy) and a decrepit old man holding a big sword runs up to him. The knight proceeds to put one foot up on the old man's shoulder/chest while grabbing the hilt and pushes/kicks the old man to the ground as a way of drawing his sword from the sheath the old man was holding.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
army of darkness, or something referencing it I'd imagine.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

army of darkness, or something referencing it I'd imagine.

90% certain that's correct. Off-chance, Jabberwocky.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
It is correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6D28bfIWf8&t=130s

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

safe harbor posted:

Film around 2008 a girlfriend at the time got from Netflix when they mailed you dvds. It was horror/suspense film set on a sailboat. A group of friends drift into a fog that is kind of like a purgatory. Some of the friends disappear and later reappear but act strange. It had a very low budget look about it. Did not come out in theaters, straight to dvd. Its not Triangle. I'll add addition info if i can remember.

The Ferryman? https://letterboxd.com/film/the-ferryman/

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

CzarChasm posted:

Save The Last Dance has scenes with a ballerina practicing to open the movie (IIRC) and then just past the mid-point she's practicing again in a montage, and we see her feet being blistered and bloody. Been a while since I've seen it, and I can't really recommend it.

Hannibal Rex posted:

I've seen a scene like that. I think it's John Wick 2?

The only other movies with ballerinas I've seen in recent years were Black Swan and the original 1977 Suspira, so it could be one of those too.

No, I remember the film grain, it's definitely something shot in the 70s or 80s, italian or french. Suspiria is close in style, but I don't remember that scene.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I don't think it's Suspiria 77 either, I've seen that movie many times and don't recall that scene being in it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Hannibal Rex posted:

90% certain that's correct. Off-chance, Jabberwocky.

Actually I think it is Jabberwocky, no wonder I couldn't remember.