Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
We all have intentional collections, and many of us have had collections inflicted upon us when relatives find out we like something that is available in knicknacks -- I knew someone who ended up with a largish selection of Little Green Men. Today, while attempting to clean my closet, I found I have three collapsible plastic cups, like these. https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Striped-Solid-Folding-Cups/dp/B0050PIOVC

Not in those colors, obviously. Mine were all purchased separately, after forgetting I had the previous one. One is from Devil's Tower.

What accidental collections have you discovered in your storage boxes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

My Dad had basically every Mad Magazine from about 1955 - 1968 and they accumulated in a box that got passed, undisturbed from storage unit to storage unit for the better part of 50 years, and now I have them. They're in fairly bad condition, but still readable, so I browse through them every once in a while. It's funny how many cartoons they recycled from the 50s and 60s; I had already seen a fair number of them from my own Mad phase in the late 90s and early 2000s. Some humor is timeless, I suppose.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Riatsala: go here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887842&pagenumber=89&perpage=40

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
I'm not sure when it started exactly, but somewhere between my junior year of high school and graduation college, I evidently started collecting keys. Whenever I got a key to anything, it went on my keychain and never came off. House, apartment, girfriends' places, it didn't matter.

My prized key was a master key I got from the Manhattan, KS. Parks and Recreation Department. It opened City Hall, the Community Center, and every other city building, shed, shack, and facility.

These were all on one keychain and suddenly one day they just disappeared.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

That thread is glorious.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I feel . . . strangely but deeply honored that my thread was stickied so that everyone could watch it die. (insert :3: receiving a diploma here)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I have a lot of Garfield stuff, that I never bought. People just keep giving me Garfield Memorabilia.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I have a lot of Garfield stuff, that I never bought. People just keep giving me Garfield Memorabilia.

Is this a case of "oh this guy has a lot of Garfield stuff, I bet he likes Garfield and I'm gonna give him a Garfield-thing. He probably has all the Garfield books because he has so much Garfield, so I will give him this giant novelty Garfield beanbag, it goes great with his Garfield clock and Garfield chairs and Garfield shirt and Garfield Garfield Garfield"

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
More of a subconscious collection than an accidental, but I just realized I had like 15 'nice pens' that I've bought over the last 20 years, and now I get to try and break the cycle of thinking "hey, I should get a nice pen" once a year or so. Collection includes:
Pilot Metro fountain pen
Lamy Safari fountain pen
3 Retro 51 Rollerball pens
Schrade survival "tactical" pen (given to me as a joke, when I should've realized I had a problem)
Baron Fig Squire Rollerball pen
2 Cross Classic Century ballpoint pens
and a mug full of Pilot G2s and other attempts at finding the perfect gel pen.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
every time I go somewhere I get a pack of cards. It started when my boss brought be a pack of cards from vegas over a decade ago now, for the first while I just thought it was a decent compact souvenir but now I guess it's a real collection!

I do desperately want to get a second set of cards from Colonial Williamsburg so I can actually open and play with them because the packaging is nice enough that I don't want to mess with it.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I'm not sure when it started exactly, but somewhere between my junior year of high school and graduation college, I evidently started collecting keys. Whenever I got a key to anything, it went on my keychain and never came off. House, apartment, girfriends' places, it didn't matter.

My prized key was a master key I got from the Manhattan, KS. Parks and Recreation Department. It opened City Hall, the Community Center, and every other city building, shed, shack, and facility.

These were all on one keychain and suddenly one day they just disappeared.

I would keep my old keys i did not need anymore and discreetly add them to any of my bosses key chains. Just one a month or so. They did not know what the key was for, but they must have put it on there for a reason, so they never took em off.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I can now add "six sets of Salt & Pepper shakers" to my list. Mostly glass. This is AFTER making a distinct effort not to end up like a lady I knew who actively collected them as souvenirs. In the end, she had enough to stock a booth at the flea market by herself.

e: Make that seven sets. Two are from mom!

GoodyTwoShoes has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Jan 22, 2020

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Is this a case of "oh this guy has a lot of Garfield stuff, I bet he likes Garfield and I'm gonna give him a Garfield-thing. He probably has all the Garfield books because he has so much Garfield, so I will give him this giant novelty Garfield beanbag, it goes great with his Garfield clock and Garfield chairs and Garfield shirt and Garfield Garfield Garfield"

It's mostly coffee mugs and a few little trinkets here and there. One's a Garfield statuette that my Grandma had for like 30 years before she passed away. So I literally have an Heirloom Garfield.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I feel like this happens to a lot of kids from big families around Christmas, where the extended family hears "oh, they're really into $thing right now!" and all hit that theme. This is how I ended up with a dozen pairs of stud earrings and two dozen booster packs of Fallen Empires the Christmas after I got into M:tG and got my ears pierced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like this happens to a lot of kids from big families around Christmas, where the extended family hears "oh, they're really into $thing right now!" and all hit that theme. This is how I ended up with a dozen pairs of stud earrings and two dozen booster packs of Fallen Empires the Christmas after I got into M:tG and got my ears pierced.

If I didn't keep offloading them to a Disney friend or just tossing them, I would have one heck of a Nightmare Before Christmas collection. Did I like the movie? Sure, it's fine. But I think nobody realized my tweens when I wore NBC shirts was 20 years ago.

Also, costume jewelry rings. People think I like rings because I wear them on every finger. Despite telling them that I only wear those specific rings and never switch them up, I keep getting gifted rings.