Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A recent example - the international version of Dragon Ball Fusions removed all swords from the game and replaced them with sticks, for no discernible reason. Satan still shoots people with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Let's post about Videogame Censorship: Satan still shoots people with a gun.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Do games that have most of their characters edited for didn't-want-to-pay-the-license reasons count as censorship?

If so, look up Dragon Power for NES and Black Belt for Sega Master System. I bet you can't tell what games those were supposed to be!

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Do games that have most of their characters edited for didn't-want-to-pay-the-license reasons count as censorship?

If so, look up Dragon Power for NES and Black Belt for Sega Master System. I bet you can't tell what games those were supposed to be!

Dragon Power is totally going to be Dragonball isn't it? I'm just guessing because it's the funniest option considering Dragonball just got talked about.

Looking at Black Belt's screenshots, is it Fist of the North Star?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Haha, “Black Belt, full game play through” 9 minutes.

That’s some bang for your buck

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kchama posted:

Dragon Power is totally going to be Dragonball isn't it? I'm just guessing because it's the funniest option considering Dragonball just got talked about.

yes and yes.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
in dragon power isntead of giving bulma's panties to roshi you give him a ham sandwich

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mycophobia posted:

in dragon power isntead of giving bulma's panties to roshi you give him a ham sandwich

And they just turned the underwear sprite upside down to create the sandwich! Brilliant.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

The weirdest example of game censorship I can remember was NES Bionic Commando. In the Japanese version, titled "Top Secret - The Resurrection of Hitler" you're fighting against a Neo-Nazi army whose goal is--unsurprisingly--to bring Hitler back to life, which they succeed in doing.

Bionic Commando on the other hand had you fighting against the "Badds" who were trying to resurrect "Master D". What's weird is that the only graphical censorship they did was replacing all the swastikas in-game with eagles. They didn't make "Master D" look anything less like Hitler and, most bizarrely, they didn't censor the gory cutscene where Hitler's head explodes when you shoot him with a bazooka. How that slipped past the censors escapes me.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Kchama posted:

See also Last Battle for Genesis. I always assumed that they were rebranded because fist of the north star was not well known or main stream in any way in the west. These were both in the 80s.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

ColdPie posted:

PROBOTECTOR
I'd love a better reason for this. Is it simply that human looking things can't shoot human looking things?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Join the army, become a robot killing machine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Genpei Turtle posted:

The weirdest example of game censorship I can remember was NES Bionic Commando. In the Japanese version, titled "Top Secret - The Resurrection of Hitler" you're fighting against a Neo-Nazi army whose goal is--unsurprisingly--to bring Hitler back to life, which they succeed in doing.

Bionic Commando on the other hand had you fighting against the "Badds" who were trying to resurrect "Master D". What's weird is that the only graphical censorship they did was replacing all the swastikas in-game with eagles. They didn't make "Master D" look anything less like Hitler and, most bizarrely, they didn't censor the gory cutscene where Hitler's head explodes when you shoot him with a bazooka. How that slipped past the censors escapes me.

Best part is the manual being somewhere half between and calling the army the "Nazz". Subtle.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Ace Attorney localization changing the setting to Los Angeles is so distracting that I mentally just replace every reference to America with Japan. Yeah there are multiple Japanese mountain villages in California with Shinto shrines. gently caress off

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it true that instead of certain versions of Splatterhouse 1 being heavily censored, that it was because of system limitations that removed a layer of mutilated corpses from appearing in the foreground? The mask was still obviously censored another color.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wasn't the masked changed to be less obviously Jason's?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Ace Attorney localization changing the setting to Los Angeles is so distracting that I mentally just replace every reference to America with Japan. Yeah there are multiple Japanese mountain villages in California with Shinto shrines. gently caress off

this owns tho

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I love the case entirely about yokai, it's like the Japanese authors wanted to deliberately mess with the localizers. "Here, have a case entirely about Japanese folklore, have fun making that work in California."

So the NA version has the case set in a tourist trap town made by Japanese immigrants who claim their guardian spirits followed them to the new world. Almost felt like a cop out.

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

They didn't make "Master D" look anything less like Hitler and, most bizarrely, they didn't censor the gory cutscene where Hitler's head explodes when you shoot him with a bazooka. How that slipped past the censors escapes me.

It’s very likely nobody in charge of monitoring that kind of thing played all the way to the end of the game.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

It’s very likely nobody in charge of monitoring that kind of thing played all the way to the end of the game.

Was Sega made aware of ABACABB and DULLARD before MK was released on the Genesis?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

Could be, I guess. Though I can think of some other "missed censorships" in NES games that came earlier on. Like for example the first Golgo 13 game, which did remove the pixellated nudity in the sex scenes, but left in the blood spurts when you shoot people in the head. Also come to think of it that game was also about Neo-Nazis reviving Hitler from the dead, but when they changed Hitler to "Smirk", it was less noticeable because "Smirk" looked a lot less like Hitler than "Master D" did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am still surprised how many games have nudity in them, because holy poo poo that concept was seen as the end of all humankind not that long ago.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I am still surprised how many games have nudity in them, because holy poo poo that concept was seen as the end of all humankind not that long ago.

A large portion of this is because nudity isn't nearly as abhorrent in the rest of the world as it is in the mainland United States. I mean, generally you're not supposed to go around completely nude in other countries, but seeing a titty is not considered nearly as horrible as seeing a violent, gory decapitation is.

The USA is the backwards rear end country, it's just that we have a stranglehold on media representations that is (slowly) loosening.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
There's a weird double standard even regarding violence, though. Even as adult content gets more and more violent, the Looney Tunes cartoons I grew up watching on Saturday mornings can barely be found anywhere other than DVD/blu-ray because they're now considered to be much too violent for children. The fact that they're now considered to be adult content means that almost no one is willing to air them anymore. :psyduck:

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

...! posted:

There's a weird double standard even regarding violence, though. Even as adult content gets more and more violent, the Looney Tunes cartoons I grew up watching on Saturday mornings can barely be found anywhere other than DVD/blu-ray because they're now considered to be much too violent for children. The fact that they're now considered to be adult content means that almost no one is willing to air them anymore. :psyduck:

Granted, a lot of those WERE more adult content in their originating years, and only became kids-only as culture started deciding that animation was only for kids.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

...! posted:

Even as adult content gets more and more violent, the Looney Tunes cartoons I grew up watching on Saturday mornings can barely be found anywhere other than DVD/blu-ray because they're now considered to be much too violent for children. The fact that they're now considered to be adult content means that almost no one is willing to air them anymore. :psyduck:

This is one of those situations that's actually a lot more complicated than it looks. It's not the violence that's keeping them off the air.

Firstly, to my understanding, only one channel (or network of channels) can actually have the rights to air them at any given time. For almost as long as I've been alive, this has been Turner, which meant that you could find them relatively easily on Cartoon Network (and later Boomerang) but nowhere else.

Secondly, from a technical perspective they're... not appealing. As a result of being old as hell, they're all 4:3 aspect ratio and only a fraction of them are available in HD (with transfer quality varying wildly across the remaining ones). Boomerang, of course, gives no fucks about this, because their entire reason for existence is to show classic cartoons that Turner has in their library, but there's more or less no way in hell Cartoon Network, which currently only runs HD material, will ever run them unless there's a large-scale restoration and remastering project for them.

Thirdly, I just went and looked up specific edits that have been made to the cartoons over the years, because there's a page that lists them all in exhaustive detail. As it turns out, the vast, vast majority of the violence edits were done by syndication networks in the early 90s, with Cartoon Network showing nearly all of the affected cartoons uncut (aside from some edits to jokes surrounding suicide, which tended to stay). However, CN made some of their own edits, and while they aren't for violence, well... I'll just quote some of them, and you'll probably get the picture.

quote:

"Ain't That Ducky" (Freleng; 1945):

CN: The scene in which Victor Moore fires his rifle at Daffy, causing bows to appear in Daffy's hair and giving to him the hairstyle of a stereotypical black girl, has been eliminated.

quote:

"Ali Baba Bound" (Clampett; 1940):

CN: Cartoon Network initially ran this short unedited. After the September 11 attacks, however, the scene referring to one of Ali Baba's men (who has a bomb strapped to his head) as a member of the "suicide squad" was omitted.

quote:

"Doggone Cats" (Davis; 1947):

CN: Removed from this cartoon is the part where a trash can cover lands on Wellington's head and Wellington does an impression of a Chinaman.

quote:

"I Like Mountain Music" (Harman and Ising; 1933):

CN: A short scene in which Zulu natives are seen flapping their oversized lips in tune with the music is gone.

quote:

"Porky's Baseball Broadcast" (Freleng; 1940):

CN: Just after Porky says, "The tickets are selling like hotcakes," and one sees the accompanying gag, there is another gag wherein he says, "The scalpers are havin' a big day." Coincident to this was a scene of Native Americans howling and chasing game-goers around with tomahawks. When first aired on Cartoon Network, this cartoon ran entirely unedited with the latter gag intact. Beginning around 2001, however, the "scalpers" gag was edited from the short.

quote:

"Southern Fried Rabbit" (Freleng; 1953):

CN: This scene is gone: To pass the Mason-Dixon Line guarded by Yosemite Sam, Bugs disguises himself as a black man playing a banjo and singing a sombre song. Sam allows him to pass into the South ("One of our boys"), until Bugs starts a rendition of "Yankee Doodle" and his "cover" is blown. Bugs then acts like a poor slave ("Please don't beat me, massa! Don't beat this tired old body!") and places a whip in Sam's hands, before then appearing as Abraham Lincoln to scold Sam ("What's this I hear about you whippin' slaves?"). The first instance of Yosemite Sam yelling, "Charge!" has now been removed, probably because of the Confederate flag which is seen at that point in the cartoon when it is watched uncut.

They're... a little racist. And by a little racist, I mean holy loving poo poo they're racist. Other than this, the only edits CN retained (or made themselves) were to suicide jokes and references to tobacco and alcohol, which are generally way more minor.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think aside from the Censored Eleven (though they may have come out since I last checked), many are available unedited on official DVD releases. I was fairly impressed with the message given before the DVDs containing some of the more racist episodes.

quote:

The cartoons you are about to see are products of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in the U.S society. These depictions were wrong then and they are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, these cartoons are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming that these prejudices never existed.

Doesn't try to pretend it never happened, and acknowledges that it was messed up and wrong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kurui Reiten posted:

A large portion of this is because nudity isn't nearly as abhorrent in the rest of the world as it is in the mainland United States. I mean, generally you're not supposed to go around completely nude in other countries, but seeing a titty is not considered nearly as horrible as seeing a violent, gory decapitation is.

The USA is the backwards rear end country, it's just that we have a stranglehold on media representations that is (slowly) loosening.

Yea but like Mass Effect Andromeda had nudity, so did Dragon Age Inqusition. GTA5 is still of tits and you can see Trevors cock and balls a few times. Bunch of other games from the last 5 or so years have had nudity in it.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I think aside from the Censored Eleven (though they may have come out since I last checked), many are available unedited on official DVD releases. I was fairly impressed with the message given before the DVDs containing some of the more racist episodes.

Doesn't try to pretend it never happened, and acknowledges that it was messed up and wrong.

This is super important because a lot of times people try to pretend these were some aberration or these attitudes were only held by a few. Any even cursory look into American history can show that racism was a big part of life and its language and imagery was everywhere. Those cartoons were as mainstream as the Simpsons.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Anyone know why Japanese versions of games used to be quite violent and now they aren't?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turner is a Warner company, so I imagine they're never leaving now.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

This is super important because a lot of times people try to pretend these were some aberration or these attitudes were only held by a few. Any even cursory look into American history can show that racism was a big part of life and its language and imagery was everywhere. Those cartoons were as mainstream as the Simpsons.

Yeah, from what I understand, Disney just tries to pretend they never made any racist cartoons at all.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Flannelette posted:

Anyone know why Japanese versions of games used to be quite violent and now they aren't?

Suda 51 posted:

While doing these interviews, there’s been a lot of stuff I’ve remembered suddenly — one of those things is working on Moonlight Syndrome at Human, before we started Grasshopper. So a kind of strange thing happened while I was working on the game - it was known as the Sakakibara murders [or the Kobe Child Murders]. Basically a young guy in Japan murdered a bunch of little kids, cut their heads off, did some really hosed up stuff.

It was a huge deal in Japan. So because of that, my games and games in general had a bunch of government [censorship] limitations placed on them. It wasn’t just games, but general entertainment, too, TV shows, and movies, all of a sudden they had all these limits — “oh, you can’t do that, you can’t touch on that.” So after that I wasn’t able to make Moonlight Syndrome the game I originally intended.

Given all the government restrictions back then, I decided I wanted to delve into the themes of serial killers, how people can end up like that. You know, like what creates a serial killer.

Is it because of something in their DNA? Is it because of their family or their environment? Or where they live, their schools or the government? What pushes a person to do something like that? So after a lot of thinking and putting stories together, I came up with Silver Case’s character.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Was it a gradual thing? I remember around that time the Japanese console and arcade things suddenly got less violent but there was still violence in a lot of there games around early 00's, now they don't even have decapitations usually.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It's one more instance of Japan being the Bizarro US, basically. They had one or two high-profile murder cases around that time, and immediately responded by pretty much making gore in anything a hard no (aside from DVD/BD releases of anime and foreign movies).

Also, parent-teacher associations there have a WEIRD amount of power over anything that might even slightly be targeted at kids.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There was a crime in Japan, so Squaresoft censored Final Fantasy 6 by removing the scene of Celes getting beaten by a soldier, in their latest port of it at the time. This is something that happens every couple of years and I am sure the crime was some sort of terrible murder.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

TheBystander posted:

I love the case entirely about yokai, it's like the Japanese authors wanted to deliberately mess with the localizers. "Here, have a case entirely about Japanese folklore, have fun making that work in California."

At this point it's basically confirmed that they're doing it entirely on purpose: the next game in the series involves a case revolving entirely around rakugo, with the difference between various kinds of ramen noodles being a major plot point. You can read about the details yourself here, although there's some overall spoilers for the game, so take note if you haven't played the games yourself: http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2016/10/01/one-grand-finale-weddings-rakugo-and-succession

Ironically enough, since Japan is more strict when it comes to use of alcohol within the CERO rating that was given to the game vs. the rating the game got elsewhere, the localized version of the case was allowed to mention it directly, while the Japanese version had to resort to mentioning in a roundabout way via a specific rakugo routine about "liquified Castella cakes".

Genpei Turtle posted:

They didn't make "Master D" look anything less like Hitler and, most bizarrely, they didn't censor the gory cutscene where Hitler's head explodes when you shoot him with a bazooka. How that slipped past the censors escapes me.

What's great about this is that the remake of the game, Bionic Commando: Rearmed, is otherwise pretty similar to the NES version when it comes to overall level of violence, but the only reason the game got a M rating was most likely because they wanted to include the Hitler headsplosion in glorious HD CGI animation which is more or less the only prerendered cutscene in the entire game.

AnotherGamer fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 24, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AnotherGamer posted:

At this point it's basically confirmed that they're doing it entirely on purpose: the next game in the series involves a case revolving entirely around rakugo, with the difference between various kinds of ramen noodles being a major plot point. You can read about the details yourself here, although there's some overall spoilers for the game, so take note if you haven't played the games yourself: http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjections/blog/2016/10/01/one-grand-finale-weddings-rakugo-and-succession

I mean, realistically speaking, this doesn't seem like evidence they're doing it to gently caress with the localizers; they're just writing for a Japanese audience, who would be fairly familiar (if not necessarily intimately so) with rakugo and would understand the ramen thing, and probably just aren't considering at all that it's a bastard to translate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
USGamer caught up with Ted Woolsey to talk about the FF6 translation process, which was heavily affected by Nintendo's content guidelines at the time.

quote:

Major parts of Final Fantasy 6's storyline involve suicide, teen pregnancy, and mass slaughter. Its length, depth, and gravity make it a difficult translation under the best conditions. But when Final Fantasy 6 was being localized, Nintendo disallowed words like "die" and "death." Ted Woolsey was expected to tell North Americans a story about the Apocalypse, and he had to do it without inferring that anyone actually dies.

We see poor little NPC character sprites get stabbed, choke on poison, fall into chasms, and even get squished between tectonic plates when a piece of earth heaves to life and launches skyward. But they're not dead. They're "doomed." They've "passed on." When your party falls in battle, they're "annihilated." It was OK for Final Fantasy 6's translation to suggest the party had been obliterated. What matters is they didn't "die."

I ask Woolsey a simple question about Final Fantasy 6's translation: How on earth did he manage?

As he played, Woolsey was able to identify some of the narrative arcs that probably wouldn't get through Nintendo of America's content filter. He devised ways around them whenever possible. "I wanted to pull as much of the drama in as possible, to try and retain what I could of the more shocking events in the game," he says. "I did my best to try and find alternatives and work around some of those blockers."

Woolsey found some interesting ways to make Final Fantasy 6's startling moments more appropriate for western audiences, and it's interesting to look back on what Nintendo gave a pass. A subplot involving a pregnant 16-year-old and her terrified boyfriend could remain—as long Woolsey made the two a married couple. The conflicted heroine Celes was still allowed to attempt suicide when she hit rock bottom in the second half of the game—as long as Woolsey made it seem as if she jumped to "perk up."

Celes' jump doesn't make sense in the context of the game either, but suicide was obviously a firm "no" in Nintendo of America's books. Woolsey did what he could, which forced him to come up with creative solutions for several despair-ridden NPCs who likewise jumped to their deaths. Celes learns these NPCs actually "passed away from boredom and despair." This is another instance where the "softened" localization winds up being more disturbing than the source material. A quick end by suicide seems preferable to wasting away on a lonely island surrounded by poisoned water. It's like seeing your party "Annihilated" versus just being told "You have died."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

There was also the thing with Soulcalibur where Korea in particular shunned depictions of samurai, so Mitsurugi went blonde, got renamed to Arthur and..uh, that was it. New character, totally not a samurai.
Saw this when going back through the thread and remembered something.

South Korea has a long history, only really easing up in the early 2000s, of censoring or disallowing Japanese media, and a number of Japanese games were altered as a result. As another example, the "Asia" version of Marvel vs. Capcom 1 (distributed in Asian countries outside of Japan) deletes all the Japanese-language voiceover from all of the Capcom characters, replacing most of them with just generic grunts or whatever English dialogue they remembered to record during development (and replacing Roll's theme with an instrumental version).

I find all these little unexpected changes caused by the looming shadow of history to be oddly fascinating...