Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

remigious posted:

I’m sorry, but it’s not really the landlord’s place to fix someone’s mental health issues.

Lol dont worry about it. This is the point in the thread where the goons start taking about how they were failures to launch and scold any one that disagrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
So this guy rents your space, keeps up on the payments, doesn't have loud parties or practice his violin at 2 am, but you know what? I really hate his face and since I work from home as a loathsome computer toucher/landlord combo, I have to see it every day!

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Shame is one more emotional distortion piled on whatever hosed up relationship with the world led to withdrawal. criminals focused on shame reoffend the most because all they learned was a new emotion to drag them around by the nose.

cyberia posted:

Don't get me wrong, I felt bad for the guy and if he had ever reached out to me I would have offered whatever help or support I could but at the same time how long are you meant to tolerate having some weird undead ghost man living in your house? Knowing that there's always going to be someone lurking in the background literally 24/7, watching them waste their life away gets to you after awhile.
were his takeout boxes and weed smoke becoming a problem? a reclusive goblin who stays away from everyone & keeps up the rent sounds like a p great tenant.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I haven't seen him in years, but there was one guy I met in my late 20's who was extremely awkward and a shut-in from society. He was bullied really bad in school, very sheltered and had a diagnosis of schizophrenia, but said that he didn't think he had it. However, when he had to go to the doctor to apply for PWD cheques, he went on multiple tabs of LSD to make his diagnosis more prominent because his mom needed the money too to help support him. Unfortunately he never graduated from high school due to the bullying and mental health issues, so he was basically unemployable. But the guy was extremely good at automating tasks on his computer with batch scripts and was meticulous at organizing files and folders of all of his stuff on the computer. He got one of his friends to get him a job at QA'ing at a large game company and he slowly started using his skills to automate a lot of the laborious tasks that the design team was having to do and made a name for himself there, eventually working up to working on major projects pertaining to security clearance software. Sadly, last I heard he was still living in the same place and still doesn't thrive, but he has some friends at the game company now so hopefully things are better for him.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Percelus posted:

you saw this guys mental health degrade over time to the point where he was no longer functioning at all and the only action you took was to remove him from his current residency

i hope if you ever have a mental health crisis the people you're living with you are compassionate and supporting instead of just evicting you

Yesss here we go

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's not the landlord's job to poke their nose in other people's business incessantly. Do they pay rent? Are they noisy or particularly filthy (hopefully measured against an openly stated standard and not arbitrarily)? If they pay rent and don't openly break any laws and rules of the house, gently caress off.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
The landlord's place is in the guillotine

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Damnit, Goons, between this and the confessions thread you're really digging the life-crushing moments hole.

And i cant stop reading.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A really good friend of mine from high school became fixated on his high school girlfriend and started stalking her when they broke up after Senior year.

This continued on for almost 6 years, before he finally showed up at the girl's new boyfriend's house.

The new boyfriend was putting Christmas lights up, my old friend pulls out a gun and tells the dude to go into the house with him. Somehow the new boyfriend manages to escape the house, call 911, and the cops show up.

My old friend decides suicide by cop is the best way out, starts shooting at the cops, and according to the official police report he blew his brains out in front of them.

This dude was the nicest guy but apparently he just really got fixated on his high school girlfriend for some reason.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I actually knew a dude back in Baltimore who fits the bill perfectly. He lived with his parents into his 30s, and he was actually a pretty decent-looking guy. He actually thought that living with his parents was an asset because it let him womanize and then when he got tired of the girls he could invite them back home and they would dump him.

Anyway his parents hired a "moving out" expert who would get guys like this out by pretending to have a relationship with them to build their confidence up and get them out in the world on their own.

The dude found out about this after they slept together and got pissed and broke things off but then his friends kidnapped him and tied him up in a room while the expert poured her heart out to him because she actually developed feelings for him even though it was supposed to be just another job for her. Anyway he got back together with her instead of pressing charges for commiting several felonies. Last I heard they were sailing around the world on a boat they bought so good on him I guess.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I actually knew a dude back in Baltimore who fits the bill perfectly. He lived with his parents into his 30s, and he was actually a pretty decent-looking guy. He actually thought that living with his parents was an asset because it let him womanize and then when he got tired of the girls he could invite them back home and they would dump him.

Anyway his parents hired a "moving out" expert who would get guys like this out by pretending to have a relationship with them to build their confidence up and get them out in the world on their own.

The dude found out about this after they slept together and got pissed and broke things off but then his friends kidnapped him and tied him up in a room while the expert poured her heart out to him because she actually developed feelings for him even though it was supposed to be just another job for her. Anyway he got back together with her instead of pressing charges for commiting several felonies. Last I heard they were sailing around the world on a boat they bought so good on him I guess.

Were the parents expecting the expert to have sex with their son? Hiring a prostitute for your child seems to be at best a mixed message...

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

So the parents hired a hooker with extra steps?

Wait......are you pitching Pretty Women 2020?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Imagine thinking Something Awful is the place where your thread for making fun of weird shut-ins is going to be a big hit.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
A guy I went to high school with slowly devolved into a barely functional alcoholic after a series of train wreck relationships and what I assume to be a constant battle with depression. He seemed a likely candidate for failure to launch in high school due to a poor home life and crippling self esteem issues that he tried to mask with an excessive, overbearing personality. His parents were not in the picture (both addicts), and he spent most of his childhood being raised by his (insane) grandma who had the most awful case of OCD I've ever seen in my life. Shortly after graduation, his grandma died and left him her four bedroom home, and since then he's rented out rooms to his friends who are also miserable alcoholics that piss on everything because they're usually too wrecked to be able to find the bathroom successfully.

For a while, it was ok because they threw great parties and we were still in college, so the constant drinking was normalized as a part of being a young 20 something, but as we aged into our 30's, it got a lot sadder as the alcoholism got more serious. They all put on a poo poo ton of weight, started playing bad Korean MMOs, and basically now only leave the house to go to the liquor store or to one of the bars down the street that opens at 6AM and is full of sad old dudes. Now every time I go back home for a visit, I inevitably see him at one of the local bars with a new, equally obese girlfriend and he's so utterly destroyed on cheap vodka that he comes up and enthusiastically introduces himself to me like we've never met before even though I spent like 3-4 nights a week partying at his house for eons.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Do "Fool's Gold" next

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
my wife had to leave her beetle husband once it got cold and they crawled into the frames around all our windows.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!

A Fancy Hat posted:

A really good friend of mine from high school became fixated on his high school girlfriend and started stalking her when they broke up after Senior year.

This continued on for almost 6 years, before he finally showed up at the girl's new boyfriend's house.

The new boyfriend was putting Christmas lights up, my old friend pulls out a gun and tells the dude to go into the house with him. Somehow the new boyfriend manages to escape the house, call 911, and the cops show up.

My old friend decides suicide by cop is the best way out, starts shooting at the cops, and according to the official police report he blew his brains out in front of them.

This dude was the nicest guy but apparently he just really got fixated on his high school girlfriend for some reason.

I think you're confused, he was "the nice guy-est"

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

My mothers best friend is in her 60's. She lives with her mother and her alcoholic brother. She had a really messed up childhood, married and then divorced an abusive woman-hating rear end in a top hat, and then moved back in with her mom about - fifteen? years ago now. She at least had a relationship (with a 60-something manchild) and a job, but she got in a terrible car accident last year and broke several vertebra. Now she doesn't do much. My folks have pretty much accepted that after her parents die they will wind up 'adopting' her since none of the rest of her family will take care of her.

It's honestly the saddest thing. When I was a kid she was my hero, but she's expressed pretty clearly in the last fifteen years that she isn't interested in moving on or improving her life past subsistence in mom's basement. Hard to watch that with someone you love... You can't help people who aren't receptive to it or who don't want help. It took me longer to learn that with her than it should have.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Sometimes life's bullshit shapes people a certain way and they don't have good friends or family who can do the needful and so they continue to rot.

TeachesOfPeaches
Jan 25, 2019
I dunno, a kid that doesn’t have Kaiser Permanente? :shrug:

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
is this the new all landlords are bastards thread?

remigious posted:

I’m sorry, but it’s not really the landlord’s place to fix someone’s mental health issues.

no, its the landlords job to take the money in exchange for a room; as opposed to evicting them when they're making rent and not causing meaningful problems besides 'i was constantly disgusted by his shameful existence'

Sorry you lived in your home for too much of the time! That was apparently part of the deal, that you must not live in your home too much!

TheMaskedUgly fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 22, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A friend's brother never did much college and spent his 20s working sporadically at things that only paid ok. Now he's 30, only a year younger than I am, and working for a food delivery company where he's barely making anything back after gas and insurance costs. He's living with their mom who doesn't want to push him to do something better with himself. He's getting married to his girlfriend soon and is upset that her parents don't care for him.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I knew a kid growing up who would open swinging doors with his head. I mean walking super fast and slamming his forehead into the door to swing it open. He lived across the alley from me and spent most of his time after school climbing up onto the roof and smoking cigarette after cigarette. I saw him in the principal's office a lot.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

drat what a cool kid I bet he went places

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
My ex was failure to thrive as a kid. She went on to fail to thrive in a romantic relationship lmao

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Grem posted:

Imagine thinking Something Awful is the place where your thread for making fun of weird shut-ins is going to be a big hit.

I think most people are fine making fun of ourselves but the OP specifically told us not to :argh:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

TheMaskedUgly posted:

is this the new all landlords are bastards thread?

no, its the landlords job to take the money in exchange for a room; as opposed to evicting them when they're making rent and not causing meaningful problems besides 'i was constantly disgusted by his shameful existence'

Sorry you lived in your home for too much of the time! That was apparently part of the deal, that you must not live in your home too much!

I don't know if you've ever shared a house with other people but one of the small, rare pleasures is when everyone else is out and you get the place to yourself for a little while. Knowing that I would literally never be home alone because of my housemate's hermit lifestyle was frustrating. Also, his habit of ordering delivery in the middle of the night and not answering the door so I got woken up by the doorbell at 2am, or his tendency to stay up all night and have a shower at 4am, just when I needed to get up and get ready for work, despite the fact that he could shower literally any time because he never did anything or went anywhere.

He was a lovely and weird housemate even before you get into the depressed self-imposed isolation stuff but I didn't feel like those details were relevant to the story. Sorry that so many goons see themselves in his behaviour and are getting triggered.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My brother is a NEET. He’s probably on the spectrum, but has never been officially diagnosed. He’s 25 now and still lives in my mom’s house where he plays video games all day and she buys him whatever toys he wants. She also buys him pepperoni pizza to eat every day. He pretty much lives off the stuff and eats very little else, mostly meat and breads. He won’t even eat French fries and hasn’t eaten a fruit or vegetable in 23 years.the onl6 reason he doesn’t have scurvy is because he drinks Sunny D.

He had an obsession with facial hair as a child (probably because our dad, who we rarely saw, had a moustache). When he started growing facial hair, he never shaved it, so now he has a gross, unkempt beard. He never combs his hair either, so it’s long and messily put in a ponytail. Like, you have to actually make an effort to style your hair this bad.

He’s very anti-social and will sometimes need to be prodded to even respond to a relative asking him a question. He was a teenager the first time he ate at the dinner table with the family for Christmas dinner (prior to that, my mom just gave him a bun and sausage and he’d go eat and watch movies in the car). When he first sat at the table, he filled his plate with turkey and began eating it with his hands. He also once snarled like a dog at my cousin for asking him what video game he was playing. He was never reprimanded for this behaviour by my mom.

My mom is hoping to move to the city, so my brother can live with her and go to college. He has no idea what he wants to take in college and has never had a job of any kind. He will probably flounder in school and be a leech on my mother for the rest of her life. :/

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

whats cool is i never saw this movie and know nothing about it but was able to guess the movie based on the trailer

looks like im never seeing saving silverman now

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

I'm not sure how someone breaks out of that. What happens when his parents die?
My uncle is in his 60s and never moved out of his bedroom in my grandparents' house. This was beneficial for my grandmother when she became feeble. Now she's gone, he has the house, and he's depressed. This is in the south where men are expected man up, work hard and trust in Jesus, and "therapy" isn't well established. He hoards, hasn't worked in years (previously a forklifter), doesn't attend church, hardly eats, and reportedly drinks which he didn't used to. He's always been rather naive, as you would expect for someone who hasn't pushed his horizon, but there are other naive people around who made a life. Nobody knows what to do. Shaming has been counterproductive.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Hate when a guy doesn’t attend church

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah the drink and lack of proper spiritual guidance is one of the top ways to fail to thrive.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
sometimes i take the pee bottles out and pour them down the drain at night, so i don't make eye contact with the neighbours

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

TheMaskedUgly posted:

sometimes i take the pee bottles out and pour them down the drain at night, so i don't make eye contact with the neighbours

Speaking of a failure to socialize, my neighbor runs inside his house every time I come home. Just because my pants are full of poo poo and I’m eating a fist-full of my own hair doesn’t give you Carte Blanche to be a dick, Tyler.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Speaking of a failure to socialize, my neighbor runs inside his house every time I come home. Just because my pants are full of poo poo and I’m eating a fist-full of my own hair doesn’t give you Carte Blanche to be a dick, Tyler.

Maybe he has social anxiety and is terrified of you approaching him and wanting a favor or some poo poo?

I'm tyler

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

we're all tyler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Some people just dont wanna do poo poo