Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A heavy implication from Rogue One given they use the same crystals to finish the Death Star superlaser as they do to make lightsabers is that the original Death Star is already basically a giant planet-piercing lightsaber.

If they had fleshed that out more, it could have been a nice thematic link to the PT. The basis for the weapon the Jedi have come to rely on most becoming the foundation for a fascist weapon of terror, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

If they had fleshed that out more, it could have been a nice thematic link to the PT. The basis for the weapon the Jedi have come to rely on most becoming the foundation for a fascist weapon of terror, and so on.

Seems thin, like trying to draw thematic resonance out of the fact that everyone uses laser guns.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The comparison isn't absent from the original films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSpDEFO3tY

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Cease to Hope posted:

Seems thin, like trying to draw thematic resonance out of the fact that everyone uses laser guns.

They don't make a big deal out of the thing that powers the laser guns.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A heavy implication from Rogue One given they use the same crystals to finish the Death Star superlaser as they do to make lightsabers is that the original Death Star is already basically a giant planet-piercing lightsaber.

There's also an episode of Rebels with that implication, where they find a giant kyber crystal en route to a secret Imperial project along with a bunch of kidnapped scientists.

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't think that's such a strong thematic link on its own, but the new canon did do something to add to it by establishing that the Empire got the crystals for the Death Star by stripmining Ilum, a planet the Jedi held sacred and got a lot of their lightsaber crystals from.

And then eventually it got established that the First Order stuck some stuff on that and Ilum was made into Starkiller Base, which seems like much more of of a waste of thematic potential, but I think the book that was finally established in was the Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary, which I think also had issues with having been made referencing an earlier draft of the movie's plot, so it's still technically vague.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Apparently Pablo Hidalgo mentioned that the Starkiller = Ilum thing was something they decided on when making The Force Awakens, since Rogue One was also in development and there was a lot of discussion happening about Kyber Crystals - they just waited a while to actually confirm it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Rogue One's score drags the film down a few points, wish they'd stuck with the original composer

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Robot Style posted:

Apparently Pablo Hidalgo mentioned that the Starkiller = Ilum thing was something they decided on when making The Force Awakens, since Rogue One was also in development and there was a lot of discussion happening about Kyber Crystals - they just waited a while to actually confirm it.

He should've spent more time figuring out how to say Tantive instead.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cross-posting from CineD:

Asgerd posted:

Mofference

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

So, Obi-wan is the most prequel thing to enter the dome in some time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Are we going to get the prequel dome re-opened so we can discuss Obi-Wan?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This is supposed to be a consolidated dome for prequels and sequels, but maybe we should get an Alderaandome or something.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I made a teeveedome a while back but it didn't take.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Maybe this thread is cursed and we need to close it off at sensible 69 pages to have a fresh Disney+dome.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
people could just post whatever thoughts they have about obi-wan in this thread

i have no thoughts, mandalorian s1 turned me right off and every tv thing since seems like it's worse

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I loving hate baby yoda. There I said it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Maybe people just don't have all that much to say about the TV shows? I too didn't make it past the second episode of Mando. I am going to watch Obi-wan though, just to see what my guy Hayden is up to, and I'm writing them up.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 4, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh i guess i do have a thought

did obi-wan finally get his revenge on dexter jettster

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
He left an anonymous complaint with the imperial health inspectors and Dexter was executed for his violations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Obi-wan opens with a cafe scene and I could not stop thinking how much better it'd have been with Dexter Jettster behind the bar.