Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

the giant of kandahar is a pretty cool cryptid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
All those paranormal/conspiracy/weird mystery shows from the 90's were seemingly required to have at least one episode asking the question that keeps us all up at night: Are there BIG CATS in Britain??!!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ooh, I used to read tons of books about cryptids as a kid. I’ve always been a fan of Nessie, the Jersey Devil, Mkele Mbembe (sp?) and the Yeti/Sasquatch. I’ve always liked the idea that hairy ape men legends from around the world are all connected to gigantopithecus, which existed alongside humans at one point.

Some of them I think really could exist as just species that haven’t been officially recognized yet, particularly in largely unexplored areas where locals are familiar with the creature. Like maybe the giant bat cryptid in Madagascar exists and reports of it’s size have been exaggerated. Madagascar has some pretty interesting animals due to it’s isolation, so I think something like a large bat is fairly plausible.

It’s neat to see how so many different cultures have similar sorts of myths and legends. Sometimes the legends of a “beast” turn out to just be a displaced, but recognized animal that locals weren’t familiar with, like a hyena in France.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
So wait is the guy with a gun a cryptid now? Cause the only other thing I see in that picture is a big kitty. Maybe they are one being that only looks like a guy with a gun and a kitty cat?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Colonel Cancer posted:

So wait is the guy with a gun a cryptid now? Cause the only other thing I see in that picture is a big kitty. Maybe they are one being that only looks like a guy with a gun and a kitty cat?

"Good guy with a gun" is definitely a cryptid

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Good guy with a gun" is definitely a cryptid

I'd even stop at "good guy" there bud :smugbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Animal-Mother posted:

All those paranormal/conspiracy/weird mystery shows from the 90's were seemingly required to have at least one episode asking the question that keeps us all up at night: Are there BIG CATS in Britain??!!

I've always felt that these have been some of the most plausible cryptids because there's a lot of people secretly keeping exotic animals as pets and they occasionally escape and run loose. There's been a bunch of documented cases:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A guy in Harlem went to hospital torn to shreds and tried to tell the staff he was mauled by a pit bull and they went "You think WE don't know exactly what pit bull bites look like, dumbass??" and tipped off the cops

Of course the vast majority of reported sightings turn out to be mis-identifications, such as that time in 2011 when the police in Hampshire evacuated a bunch of people, asked the local zoo to get a dart gun ready and sent a chopper to investigate a vicious wild tiger on the prowl which turned out to be a stuffed toy.
Edit: and again on a farm in Scotland in 2018. (This one lead to a one hour standoff with the cops)

Back in 2012 there was a reported sighting of a lion in a field in Essex which prompted a search by 25 police officers and two helicopters with thermal imaging cameras, but it turned out to be a fat maine coon cat called Teddy bear..

There was also dozens of reports of a lion running loose in Milwaukee in 2015 and someone even caught it on video. In the end some guy shot a large white pit bull dog (he just winged it, it recovered) and the sightings ended.

Apparently the RSPCA in the UK get called out to rescue 'exotic' animals all the time which turn out to be stuffed animals or plastic toys or caterpillars.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 23, 2020

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
last podcast on the left has some episodes about cryptids

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

People loving suck at size recognition at long or even moderate distances. That’s why “pterosaurs” and “thunderbirds” are a thing, cause people see bats or condors and think they’re huge. There was an episode of that old Monster Hunters show about big cats in North America and even when they had video clips to analyze they were like “yeah that’s definitely a regular rear end housecat”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hazo posted:

People loving suck at size recognition at long or even moderate distances. That’s why “pterosaurs” and “thunderbirds” are a thing, cause people see bats or condors and think they’re huge. There was an episode of that old Monster Hunters show about big cats in North America and even when they had video clips to analyze they were like “yeah that’s definitely a regular rear end housecat”

Here's a similar video debunking a "panther" sighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7jSZuRgVQ

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
heres a cryptid:

OPS MOM

Gross

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

My Canadian girlfriend isn't a cryptid :smugbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blackfyre posted:

heres a cryptid:

OPS MOM

Gross

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoQ0r2ligPg

Colonel Cancer posted:

My Canadian girlfriend isn't a cryptid :smugbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqyG50-CjY

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Giant stick insects that make you horny

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Jasus Christ posted:

Tata Duende is the one I'm most familiar with.
Big Daddy Spider Monkey.

Here's an SUPER terrible Tata Duende. I like that they hide in the walls waiting to clip your kiddo's toenails/toes off. That's an especially fun bit of creepiness.

Buckets posted:

the chupacabre and flatwoods monster are both alien cyptids

I like how graphical all the images of the Flatwoods moster I could find were. I'm imagining it looking like a short three-legged something out of a Grimm's fairytale.

hate hoot posted:

I wish more time was spent discussing how hominid cryptids (e.g., Yeti, sasquatch, Almas) may be folk memories of when prehistoric Homo sapiens existed alongside Neanderthals, H. erectus, H. floresiensis, etc. Actual relict populations seem ridiculously unlikely at this point, but who knows what (who?) could have survived into, say, the medieval period?

I just wanna hang out with some evolutionary cousins (not chimps, though).

I have always thought about this. Don't forget about tiny folkloric creatures like dwarves and hobbits too. Homo Floresiensis is the prime example of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_floresiensis

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Go with the Jersey Devil or Mothman instead (though Mothman doesn't look like a moth, all the prior descriptions before the name was coined describe a winged man with big red eyes/a bat-like creature, "Mothman" was a Batman reference of all the drat things).

Here's my terrible Jersey Devil just for you...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

yes, the British nobility murdered every interesting and dangerous animal on the island by the end of the 15th century so now overfed housecats is all theyve got. let them have their cat panics

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zoesdare posted:

Here's an SUPER terrible Tata Duende. I like that they hide in the walls waiting to clip your kiddo's toenails/toes off. That's an especially fun bit of creepiness.

If folkloric monsters are kosher, then here's a bunch of obscure Trinidadian ones. Half of my family's from there and I lived there until I was about 15 and definitely read all about them.

Douen posted:

It is believed that they are the lost souls of children who have not yet been baptized or christened. Their most recognized characteristic is their feet are said to be backwards, with the heel facing the front and the knees are backwards, too. If they hear a child's name, then they will call to the child in a parent's voice and try to lure the child into the forest. They wear a big, floppy straw hat to hide the fact that they have no face except for a small mouth to speak with. Largely mischievous, they play pranks on people, raid gardens, and seem to enjoy leading children astray until they are thoroughly lost in the woods.

Lagahoo posted:

Lagahoo, Ligahoo or Lugarhou is a mythical shapeshifting monster. It is cousin to the French loup-garou and the Germanic werewolf, yet not restricted to the form of a wolf.
It seems like a normal human by day, but this creature takes on the form of a man with no head, who roams the night with a wooden coffin on its neck. On top of the coffin are three lighted candles and the long loose end of a heavy iron chain, noosed around its waist, trails behind him. Often, it is seen with chains around its neck, which change size.[1] One appendage is said to be turned backwards.
It can shapeshift into various animals, including horses, pigs or goats, and said to often take the form of a creature similar to a centaur; is also thought to be a blood sucker which is less than particular about its food source, making do with such animals as cows and goats. The Lagahoo also possesses the ability to alter its size from tiny to gigantic in an instant.

Papa Bois posted:

His appearance is thought to be that of a short, old man of African descent with cloven hooves (or at least his left leg ends in a large hoof) and a beard of leaves, who, despite his age sports strong muscles and can run faster than a deer. His body is completely covered with hair like that of a donkey and small horns sprout from his forehead. He is also known to carry a hollowed-out bull's horn, which he uses to warn animals of hunters' approach. He is also known to have the power of metamorphosis and is commonly thought to transform himself into a deer, luring hunters deep into the forest and getting them lost.

Soucouyant posted:

The Ol'Higue is a shapeshifting Caribbean folklore character who appears as a reclusive old woman by day. By night, she strips off her wrinkled skin and puts it in a mortar. In her true form, as a fireball she flies across the dark sky in search of a victim. The soucouyant can enter the home of her victim through any sized hole like cracks, crevices and keyholes.
Soucouyants suck people's blood from their arms, legs and soft parts while they sleep leaving blue-black marks on the body in the morning.[9] If the soucouyant draws too much blood, it is believed that the victim will either die and become a soucouyant or perish entirely, leaving her killer to assume her skin.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mordja posted:

If folkloric monsters are kosher, then here's a bunch of obscure Trinidadian ones. Half of my family's from there and I lived there until I was about 15 and definitely read all about them.

Soucouyant sounds like the Boo Hag from Gullah legends.

OP please draw Papa Bois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

Mordja posted:

I've been going case-by-case for creatures of folklore. I think La Llorona would count - she's like a boogeyman. That's part of what I liked about the suggested Tata Duende too. Going to take some time to look into your suggestions though! I love reading about all creatures of folklore and myth.