Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think they were genuinely blindsided by Baby Yoda's popularity, given they had no merchandise ready to go.

Mind you, Star Wars has a bad history with forced cuteness for merch purposes, given Ewoks, Jar Jar and porgs, so maybe it's best to hedge their bets.

Either they were blindsided or they chose not to make merchandise to keep the character a secret. The latter would be pretty crazy for Disney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

MJeff posted:

Either they were blindsided or they chose not to make merchandise to keep the character a secret. The latter would be pretty crazy for Disney.
I swear there's a quote or story from Favreau that confirms the latter.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Star Wars is built around monetizing itself so I would assume they would keep it under wraps intentionally. The indignity of waiting three months for my Baby Yoda Pez Dispenser.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I really liked the pacing.

We're so used (in modern cinema/television) for a constant scene change to action. Mando took it nice and slow.

I've been rewatching older Samurai films (ex. Lone Wolf and Cub) and I feel the pacing does a lot for creating tension without being overly cheesey.

This was what I liked best about it, it wasn't breakneck JJ Abrams cram everything in and then more, it had time to breathe. It felt more like the old Lucas magic.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Among other things, the creators of the Mandalorian understand the format of a streaming TV show better than anyone at fuckin' Netflix. Also it feels like an episodic TV show with an overarching plot, instead of a 5 hour long movie.

I'm a casual Star Wars fan at best, but I'm totally cool with having as much wacky EU poo poo in this show as they want. I just need consistent and coherent writing and direction, not whatever made Rise of Skywalker happen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MJeff posted:

Could be a bit of both. Would not be surprised if Disney expected the show to be a sideshow to the movies.

Twitch posted:

Among other things, the creators of the Mandalorian understand the format of a streaming TV show better than anyone at fuckin' Netflix. Also it feels like an episodic TV show with an overarching plot, instead of a 5 hour long movie.

I'm a casual Star Wars fan at best, but I'm totally cool with having as much wacky EU poo poo in this show as they want. I just need consistent and coherent writing and direction, not whatever made Rise of Skywalker happen.

There's a lot to be said about the sequels, but overall I think the problem is they get the equivalent of focus grouped and edited to death and terrified of committing to anything, which ends up a horrible mix of both laboured and incredibly sloppy at the same time, since so many story and character decisions are made basically on a whim and they try to cram in as many setpieces as they can.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheesus posted:

I swear there's a quote or story from Favreau that confirms the latter.

It is in the first episode of the Mandalorian making-if documentary. That is, of course, assuming he is to be believed.

Seems genuine enough, though. Favreau has earned his power.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I don't want to put the Mandalorian on a pedestal, but the topic title sums up my experience very well.

Rise of Skywalker really had me down in a way I've never been about Star Wars before, even with disliking the Prequels. I'll restrain myself form going into obsessive detail since this isn't really the bitch about RoS thread.

When I watch the Mandalorian I have fun watching a Star War, and it feels like its made by people who also like the Star Wars but not the bad ones who want to tell you how the Empire was actually good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still glad that instead of watching Rise of Skywalker I watched Cats.