Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

yikes! posted:

I basically never watch long standup videos, but this was absolutely fuckin worth it. Thanks for sharing, I like this guy a lot.

I love Stewart Lee. He has this incredible ability to craft a 90 minute long set that weaves in on itself in a way that blindsides you, but leaves you completely satisfied.

He wrote a book dissecting one of his sets a few years ago that I would recommend to anyone with even a passing interest in the craft of stand up comedy. I have no pretensions of becoming a stand up myself, but the craft fascinates me.

There was a noted racist British comedian in the 70s and 80s called Bernard Manning. His material is abhorrent by modern standards (and standards at the time really) but he was so technically skilled. Lots of the left-wing stand ups who ended up replacing his style of comedy tell stories of playing his club and him standing behind the curtain teaching them how to work the crowd. John Thomson was among them and ended up completely skewering him with the character Bernard Righton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A Cosby bit I like is about Carol Shelby personally delivering a custom twin supercharged 427 Cobra, one of only 3 built. It's a neat bit because it isn't actually very funny, but it is a good contemporary piece about americana and late 60's automotive culture. Specifically I had heard rumours about that car over the years but wasn't aware that Cosby actually had a first hand story about it.

I think he ended up giving the car back as it was pretty much the epitome of murder cars, and whoever ended up buying it died (?).

For those wondering why this is significant: There were only a handful of Shelby Cobras built. like 400, of those the 427 variety are extremely valuable. Like $5,000,000 to collectors. If one of those 3 supercharged cars went up for sale, they would probably be approached by the smithsonian.