Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

rate my ricer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

Maybe you’d still be a car enthusiast if you ever owned a car that wasn’t a 4 cylinder

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I got a fast car real fast, V8, supercharger, 6 speed, big dick, everything

This means despite dick ur still insecure about how others perceive your masculinity

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

in Australia it is called 'sex spec' which is a better term than ricer imo, racial argument aside.

it never really went away, the scene just changed, arguably for the better.

gone are decals, chrome, swoopy body kits and big stereos.

now its one of a few different kinds of builds:

- factory optioned/certain trim spec low-key styling
- time attack inspired (big wings and lots of aero stuff)
- drift missile/pig (ugly rear end beat to poo poo cars, no fucks given sorta attitude, basically skateboarders with a drivers license)
- slammed

everything will pull bits and bobs from each of these styles to some degree.

basically the ricer culture has gone from form over function to (perceived) function as form.

depends how you look at it because people are definitely building nicer looking cars these days than say the early 00s but its also been distilled down to essentially a scene-approved 'best' path of modifications that results in every single car looking basically the same.

the toyota 86/subaru BRZ/scion FR-S is a great example of this. every single 'big' build using that car as a base ends up the same way - a rocket bunny (brand) widebody kit, lowered suspension with huge hellaflush wheel/tyre combo that both ruins the handling of the car.

everything is kinda homogenized now which sucks because it used to be a fun way to express yourself but now its like 'make it like this, this is the gold standard, anything else is rubbish'

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
completely over the top Time Attack rear diffusers FO LYFE

UNGFH MY DOWNFORCE BRREH.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

This means despite dick ur still insecure about how others perceive your masculinity

No it means I like fast cars and fast women and fast drugs and fast tug jobs

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No OP you don't, you've been waiting all this time to drive my car into your heart and change your life

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
has the dork that imports lame 80s japanese cars posted yet, those are always kind of interesting

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I'll agree that modern cars do take away some of the fun and necessity of customization. I have a Chrysler 200S (yeah, I know) and it came from the factory with an Alpine stereo, 19inch rims, leather racing seats, upgraded exhaust, 300hp AWD, etc. I was looking around for fun, cheapish little aesthetic touches and there's almost nothing available these days. Or maybe I just got old and anything fun is now just a waste of money...

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Like, I think there's something special or appreciable about being young, irresponsible with money, and having your first car that's a real piece of crap but you love it to death because it's yours. And you can't afford the nice model, or an engine swap, but you grew up with dreams of Lambos and Supras so those red-trimmed floor mats, fake leather seat covers, neon interior kit, "chrome" exhaust tip, and shifter knob will have to do (all bought from AutoZone, of course). And a nice stereo can be built $100 at a time if you don't mind buying secondhand.
But then some people grow up and decide that this phase isn't something they're willing to grow out of so now they own an $80,000 VW Golf that they can't actually drive. Meanwhile, the 19-year-old next door has a crappy Honda with a self-installed ill-fitted body kit and in ten minutes he's gonna floor it down Chestnut Street and see if he can catch air off that speed bump, come check this poo poo out guys it's gonna be so sweet.

Eclipse12 fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 6, 2020

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Live fast, die tugged

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

crabcakes dogg posted:

has the dork that imports lame 80s japanese cars posted yet, those are always kind of interesting

There's nothing lame about 80s cars.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
*makes YouTube car video that begins with a series of motion closeups and zero full body shots of car, set to that chill dub-step with that warped, short, female hi/lo ehw.. ewh.. ehw-EHW vocalisation*
*has stickers and fashion sense that would imply teenagehood but is 35*
*definitely vapes*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
SEMA definitely still exists. Even my garbage local auto show had a hall dedicated to riced-out tuner cars.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I see a dude cruising on rte 50 (northern virginia) sometimes in an s14 Silvia (or more likely a 240 with silvia headlights) that COULD be the coolest car for miles if he'd put some loving paint on it. And some dickhead in my neighborhood drives the only Scion TC I've seen in years and it has a big can exhaust, a big cat-claw-scratch decal over one headlight (?), and is slow as gently caress. besides that I havent seen anything like a "ricer" car in forever.

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 6, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In the 90s I had a teal Honda CRX Si that I put a giant Supra wing on it loving owned

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

In the 90s I had a teal Honda CRX Si that I put a giant Supra wing on it loving owned

crx is unironically cool as gently caress

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

I got a fast car real fast, V8, supercharger, 6 speed, big dick, everything

What kind? Roots? Twin-screw?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

What kind? Roots? Twin-screw?

Eaton M112

axolotl farmer