Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

gary oldmans diary posted:

individual atoms basically act like magnets. they have that electron in its usually oddly-shaped shell spinning around the nucleus. the same way 2 magnets with the same poles repel each other is the same way the atoms in your hand dont pass straight through your keyboard or through itself. and usually the atoms of things are aligned randomly and just like randomly aligned magnets the forces cancel out. but sometimes a majority are aligned a certain way and they reinforce each other and extend that magnetic field a larger distance

so its because of how electrons spin. and why certain atoms are magnetic by themselves is due with how many electrons are in the outer shell and even though we dont think of many elements being magnetic there are many more that are also naturally magnetic but at lower than normal room temperature

magnets are nuclear powered. got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

gary oldmans diary posted:

individual atoms basically act like magnets. they have that electron in its usually oddly-shaped shell spinning around the nucleus. the same way 2 magnets with the same poles repel each other is the same way the atoms in your hand dont pass straight through your keyboard or through itself. and usually the atoms of things are aligned randomly and just like randomly aligned magnets the forces cancel out. but sometimes a majority are aligned a certain way and they reinforce each other and extend that magnetic field a larger distance

so its because of how electrons spin. and why certain atoms are magnetic by themselves is due with how many electrons are in the outer shell and even though we dont think of many elements being magnetic there are many more that are also naturally magnetic but at lower than normal room temperature

Alternatively: a wizard did it

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Why it rain?

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Rain is Zeus peeing through a sieve

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

why do metals change color when they get hotter -> invention of quantum mechanics

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Why can't we eat spoiled food? Doesn't it have roughly the same nutritional value as fresh food?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Microorganisms digest some of the good stuff and also poop in it, and that's bad 4 u

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Telebite posted:

Some cats are "polydactyl" and due to some genetic thing can be born with usable, opposable thumbs. It can happen in all felids, wild or domestic.

So, why doesn't natural selection favor the thumb?

Apparently a lot of study went in to finally concluding that a cat with thumbs doesn't hunt prey and flee predators any better than a cat without thumbs.

my housemates cat has thumbs. his name is "Thumbs the Cat". we thought it was because of the air from the chemical plants :shrug:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Colonel Cancer posted:

Lemme tell you all about metaphysics :smuggo:

oh yeah? well why don't ya take a gander at paraphysics :fella:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

isn't this entire thread just a Cracked.com listicle?

OP, are you the guy that fired all the good Cracked writers? be honest

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Why does the tide go in? Why does the tide go out?

I bet you can't explain it!

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
just what ARE birds???????????????????????????????????????????

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

What is wind anyways?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Gosh! That spear really tore me a new one. How do I....stop....the bleedi.....

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Hell Yeah posted:

how come i have diarrhea all the time???

I'll have what he's having

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Aaugh!!! Where hide from bear!?!?!

(invents architecture)

Hmmm. Wear hide from bear???

(invents clothing)

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Why do some asses got dimples on em

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Why do some asses got dimples on em
Why do some asses got feet broken off in em?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

numberoneposter posted:

Why do some asses got feet broken off in em?

I.. don’t know

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

just what ARE birds???????????????????????????????????????????

Tiny men with feathers, Greeks proved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Telebite posted:

Some cats are "polydactyl" and due to some genetic thing can be born with usable, opposable thumbs. It can happen in all felids, wild or domestic.

So, why doesn't natural selection favor the thumb?

Apparently a lot of study went in to finally concluding that a cat with thumbs doesn't hunt prey and flee predators any better than a cat without thumbs.

And now you know what makes a Jellicle Cat