Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
This is Irek Ismaren.

As you can see, he has lightsabers coming out of his elbows, forearms, wrists, and knees. Also he's the child of one of Palpatine's gently caress toys and may or may not be his son. Also he's a cyborg who can control droids via the force because reasons. Also he thinks he's the Literal Boogeyman.

I contend that he is the dumbest thing to come out of the Expanded Universe. Are there any contenders to his throne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Obligatory Bug Orgies

quote:

A weight lay across Jaina's chest, and the inside of one ear was being warmed by a soft, pulsing growl. The dormitory air was filled with a comforting melange of refresher soap and body smells from a dozen different species, but the predominant odor, familiar and musky and strongest, was human.

Male human.

Zekk.

Jaina reached down and felt his arm across her, and his leg a bit lower, then slowly turned her head. Through a lingering fog of membrosia excess, she saw the familiar chiseled features surrounded by a frame of shaggy black hair. Thankfully, he was still clothed.

The previous night came flooding back to her: Unu's arrival at Jwlio, the Dance of Union, the Taat drifting off into the Harem Cave, the Joiners leaving in twos and threes and fours, her hand in Zekk's...

Zekk's green eyes opened, and the smile on his face was replaced by a confused squint. He blinked two or three times, then glanced at the lightly-clothed female body over which he'd draped himself and raised his brow. Jaina sensed a distinct click in the back of his mind. His eyes slid away from hers, and she felt his emotions swinging from disbelief to bewilderment to guilt.

"Well," Jaina said, hoping to set a casual tone. "Interesting night."

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

OctoberCountry posted:

Obligatory Bug Orgies

What the gently caress book is this from? I wanted to talk about Darksaber and that's why I came into this thread and you have to quote this. Is this New Jedi Order?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
at one point they had to invent a new enemy for the good guys to fight so they had like extradimensional bugs invade the galaxy or something and at one point they crashed a moon into chewbacca because that was the only way to kill him

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Their homeworld was at first in a different galaxy and was called Yuuzhan'tar, which was destroyed in the Cremlevian War. Some went to a seed that was produced from the ashes of Yuuzhan'Tar which was first seen by people in the Unknown Regions and was called Zonama Sekot.

imagine being able to make sense of these two sentences

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

vyelkin posted:

at one point they had to invent a new enemy for the good guys to fight so they had like extradimensional bugs invade the galaxy or something and at one point they crashed a moon into chewbacca because that was the only way to kill him
R. A. Salvatore killed Chewbacca and I love him for it

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It’s not the craziest thing out there but to me the worst EU stuff is making it so that Han was telling the truth about the Kessel Run (which made it into canon in Solo) and that Palpatine was telling the truth about Darth Plagueis, when in the movies those were both very obviously meant to be lies

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It’s not the craziest thing out there but to me the worst EU stuff is making it so that Han was telling the truth about the Kessel Run (which made it into canon in Solo) and that Palpatine was telling the truth about Darth Plagueis, when in the movies those were both very obviously meant to be lies

my brain cannot accept that plagueis is supposed to be real, every time i see reference to that fact i just think haha nah

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'd always taken the Kessel run as poor/uninformed writing, rather than lying.

Every time I hear anything about the EU I'm shocked at how incredibly stupid it is and amazed that it's as large as it is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

No they weren't. There's nothing in the text or subtext that makes what Han says a lie.

With Palpatine, his story of Plagueis was his way of telling Anakin his story (and influence) him without straight up telling him he's a Sith dude.

George Lucas is about the most unsubtle screen writer there is. He's not clever enough to pull that stuff off.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

This is what the script for ANH says:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

This is what the script for ANH says:

Obviously a preretcon, considering:

Han shot first posted:

Suddenly the slimy alien disappears in a blinding flash of light. Han pulls his smoking gun from beneath the table as the other patron look on in bemused amazement. Han gets up and starts out of the cantina, flipping the bartender some coins as he leaves.

That's actually really interesting

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Can we talk about the Lizard aliens

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Isn't therr a point where some Imperial admiral figures out that to defeat a lightsaber with a blaster you just use the stun setting because it shoots a big circle and a Jedi can't block it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

According to RA Salvatore, who wrote the book wherein Chewbacca died, it was in the contract that Chewie had to die and not his decision.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Roth posted:

Isn't therr a point where some Imperial admiral figures out that to defeat a lightsaber with a blaster you just use the stun setting because it shoots a big circle and a Jedi can't block it?
There's a bit during the Mandalorian Wars where the Mandalorians switch to regular guns that fire regular bullets instead of blasters because when you try block a bullet with a lightsaber it shatters and the Jedi gets a face full of shrapnel

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Froghammer posted:

This is Irek Ismaren.

As you can see, he has lightsabers coming out of his elbows, forearms, wrists, and knees. Also he's the child of one of Palpatine's gently caress toys and may or may not be his son. Also he's a cyborg who can control droids via the force because reasons. Also he thinks he's the Literal Boogeyman.

I contend that he is the dumbest thing to come out of the Expanded Universe. Are there any contenders to his throne?

i wish he was the protagonist of the sequels

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Roth posted:

Actually this showed up in Clone Wars and it turns out you can block the things with a saber, so they thought of that at least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
57230857348570395945093689345 planets and no homosexuals

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Who What Now posted:

According to RA Salvatore, who wrote the book wherein Chewbacca died, it was in the contract that Chewie had to die and not his decision.

imagine being the hitman that had to take out chewbacca

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Froghammer posted:

There's a bit during the Mandalorian Wars where the Mandalorians switch to regular guns that fire regular bullets instead of blasters because when you try block a bullet with a lightsaber it shatters and the Jedi gets a face full of shrapnel

i want a story about an insurgency against some sith where the locals are lobbing molotovs at anyone holding a lightsaber

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

moff otov cocktails

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

ptkfvk posted:

every night

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

So that's what you called it. "Taking out Chewbacca". Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ptkfvk posted:

He wasn't told how to kill Chewbacca, so the defiant yowl at the falling moon was all him.

That's what he told me at a book signing anyway. So take this with a grain of salt. He was a super nice guy, though. He had no problem chatting with fans for as long as they wanted and matched their energy really well.