Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We're currently our 40 person ad agency on an old Avaya Merlin Magix system. It's rear end.

It's time to upgrade and, now that we've added a satellite office a few hours away, we wanted a decent VOIP system that can seamlessly connect the two.

We don't want to maintain the phone system on premise and we like a lot of the cloud based solution features so it seems that's the best way for us to go. We also are in an area where weather knocks out the internet a lot but not the cell towers, so it's nice as having that as a backup.

Our internet is totally capable for the phone systems and we're actually upgrading to a faster fiber connection anyway.

Currently we're looking at OnSIP (which a new employee used at her previous employment and loved it) and Command Link (our current reseller wants to sell us that one and they have a better phone offer).

But as it's new to us, I'm nervous. Any experience with this kind of service or those providers specifically?

Do internet providers like to throttle SIP traffic if it's not through them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
At my last job I did setup and support for Digium Switchvox (now Sangoma), both their on-site and cloud-hosted PBXes. One of our cloud-hosted clients was a credit union with five branches, ~80 phones, and they had very few issues with it (at least any they reported to us). Not sure about the pricing though, as I wasn't involved in sales.

Some big problems we had with Digium (and other cloud hosted phone systems in general) was that a few times their regional DC would break, preventing any calls in or out, or an ISP would mess up somewhere across the state and now incoming voice traffic doesn't reach the intended destination. Support was pretty good, with the techs knowledgeable about the products they were supporting and would even look at packet captures.

We never had any issues with call quality w/r/t ISP throttling (Charter/Spectrum Business), but this will likely depend on your local ISP.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Actuarial Fables posted:

At my last job I did setup and support for Digium Switchvox (now Sangoma), both their on-site and cloud-hosted PBXes. One of our cloud-hosted clients was a credit union with five branches, ~80 phones, and they had very few issues with it (at least any they reported to us). Not sure about the pricing though, as I wasn't involved in sales.

Some big problems we had with Digium (and other cloud hosted phone systems in general) was that a few times their regional DC would break, preventing any calls in or out, or an ISP would mess up somewhere across the state and now incoming voice traffic doesn't reach the intended destination. Support was pretty good, with the techs knowledgeable about the products they were supporting and would even look at packet captures.

We never had any issues with call quality w/r/t ISP throttling (Charter/Spectrum Business), but this will likely depend on your local ISP.

Thanks for the info! According to our reseller (which... who knows) AT&T is notorious for throttling third party SIP traffic. We're switching to a different fiber provider (we were doing this anyway) so hopefully no issues there. Both OnSIP and Command Link promise 100% uptime through regional redundancy so hoping we don't run into any issues.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

BonoMan posted:

Both OnSIP and Command Link promise 100% uptime through regional redundancy so hoping we don't run into any issues.

Companies will promise anything if it means getting your money. If you start to get quotes and contracts, look into what that 100% uptime actually means and what happens if they don't meet their promise.