Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE WEEKEND, THIS THREAD IS ABOUT ALL WALKERS (of the starwars)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

AT-ATs are elephants because that's the only animal that has 4 knees in the same orientation.

Who What Now posted:

The dumbest part about AT-AT's is how much wasted real estate they have that could have been utilized. At the very least they could have had additional guns on the sides and/or especially an AA-turret on the top.

There were actually plans for something like that as part of the Kenner plot extension toyline pitch to Lucasfilms.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kenner's thirst to put out as many Star Wars branded things as possible, no matter what or how stupid they were warms my heart for some strange reason.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Who What Now posted:

Sorry but the AT-RT (All Terrain Recon Transport) has two legs.

Well I'll be damned.

Cool of them to armor everything except uhhhh where the guy sits.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

SlothfulCobra posted:

AT-ATs are elephants because that's the only animal that has 4 knees in the same orientation.

There were actually plans for something like that as part of the Kenner plot extension toyline pitch to Lucasfilms.

Well, that not what I imagined, but alright.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
General Veers! Prepare your men!

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Naturally, in the EU the Empire fixed the AT-AT tow cable weakness in the stupidest way possible.

Elite AT-AT posted:

A modified AT-AT, the Elite AT-AT was armed with thicker and darker armor, and heavier laser cannons. It was piloted by an elite vehicle crew who were among the best pilots in the Galactic Empire. The vehicle had built-in saws in its legs, making it near-impossible to take down by a cable. The only weapon that could take it down was an ion explosive.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Voting Floater posted:

Naturally, in the EU the Empire fixed the AT-AT tow cable weakness in the stupidest way possible.

Because a dedicated smaller laser for breaking any offending tow cables would make too much sense of course. After all, this is the same Empire which figured that throwing their resources into one giant moon-sized battle station would be a better idea than building several hundred more fleets of Star Destroyers.

Twice.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Ahh yes. Making the armor darker means that it's better. Or more evil. Whatever

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I gotta say that "Atha Prime" fellow looks pretty awesome and the story is a lot more original than the Disney movies.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

mongo beefheads gang-tag when

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Who What Now posted:

The dumbest part about AT-AT's is how much wasted real estate they have that could have been utilized. At the very least they could have had additional guns on the sides and/or especially an AA-turret on the top.

this is a consistent thing in star-wars - warmachines that aren't actually built around war. Real warships are basically built around their weapon system - either guns that are basically as deep as the ship, or an airstrip that is functionally the the entire top deck. Star Destroyers are like a cruise ship with a couple of rifles, proportionally speaking.

What I'm saying is that 6mo before Hoth, AT-ATs were winnebagos.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Star Destroyers aren't solely warships, they're also carriers, and a troop / armor transport. They're also like the empires only unit of force, presumably because they look cool and save on making new ship designs.

Also why the hell do they have the relatively large and lightly armed millennium falcon leading the attack on the second death star?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

ItBreathes posted:

Also why the hell do they have the relatively large and lightly armed millennium falcon leading the attack on the second death star?
Well, it's because it's got some amazing plot shields swirly force so they figured why not really. They were already throwing everything down to and including barely-armed transports and their medical ships into the fight might as well include the definitely-functional clunker that dude Princess Organa's banging is so proud of.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You could just as easily ask why they've appointed the failed mayor of Cloud City to lead the attack.

Either he's that good at talking, or somebody lost a bet.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

You could just as easily ask why they've appointed the failed mayor of Cloud City to lead the attack.

Han wouldn't let anyone else fly the ship.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ItBreathes posted:

Star Destroyers aren't solely warships, they're also carriers, and a troop / armor transport. They're also like the empires only unit of force, presumably because they look cool and save on making new ship designs.

Yeah but they don't really have huge amounts of space for launching fighters either, unless you mean they're cargo carriers, in which case yeah they do seem to be like space barges with a bunch of aftermarket conversions.

The actual lesson is that the designers didn't really put a lot of effort into hiding that they started with a silhouette (elephant for AT-AT, pizza slice for Star Destroyer) and then added some accessories/toppings.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I can't find a single clip of them launching fighters, but that opening is massive relative to a tie.

But a. Yes you're right, and b. They're the only ship the empire has (on film), they have to do everything.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

SlothfulCobra posted:

You clearly didn't hear about the sick move he pulled at the Battle of Tanaab.
*Links to 10,000 word Wookieepedia article to explain that one line*

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why the gently caress is Han a general while we're at it? What happened to all the trained and tested rebel officers?

Surely someone like Wedge should be in command?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why the gently caress is Han a general while we're at it? What happened to all the trained and tested rebel officers?

Surely someone like Wedge should be in command?

'General' is kind of like an honorary doctorate I guess.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He was overall commander of ground forces on Endor because no one else more qualified would take the suicide mission I guess.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

He was in charge of 10 guys. That door also put up a hell of a fight.

Han Solo is kind of a useless character in Jedi, and almost a joke.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Orrimaarko posted:

But when it came to choosing the leader for the shuttle team, I felt I was the best candidate because of my espionage experience. Instead, Han Solo, a man who barely graduated the Imperial Academy, was elevated to the level of general and given command. I submit to you that I would have had the shield down faster and more efficiently. I only hope that in the future the best person for the job is chosen based on skill rather than what is most popular or convenient.
_______/

Han did really gently caress up a lot of the mission until his rear end was pulled out of the fire by Leah having made friends with the Ewoks, and you'd think Leah would be in command of the mission anyways. Or does she not count as a combatant and just not have a military rank?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

She's a diplomat with no combat background. She shouldn't have been there at all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Except they needed some diplomacy to recruit local turbolaser fodder

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm the eyeball guns

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

"Don't talk to me or my youngling ever again."

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Who What Now posted:

An elephant also isn't 80% leg, some stylistic departures are expected

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gT0ej86lwU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

No Carry-alls? That's like half the fun using of gdi walkers!