Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
When talking about scifi shows a coworker said I should check out dr Who so I watched two Eccleston episodes and was like "what the gently caress" and then I watched two Tennant episodes and was like "what the gently caress"

That's my dr Who story and I still get angry just thinking about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
If you want old British sci-fi that isn't poo poo just watch Red Dwarf until season 6. Namaste.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

TheMCFriedMyBrain posted:

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/479492-black-female-doctor-who/
Welp, the show looks like it's going to be cancelled because of this dumb decision.

What dumb descision

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Dr Who is garbage, so is anyone who watches that crap.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Drunken Baker posted:

If you want old British sci-fi that isn't poo poo just watch Red Dwarf until season 6. Namaste.

Ah! No! Red Dwarf is just like Modern Family. It's a comedy, but somehow they forgot to put even one single funny thing in it.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Drunken Baker posted:

I have watched the first episode and but I haven't watched the other episodes

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
My entire life experience with Dr Who is every once in a while some dorky friend or another convinces me I should give it a shot because there's a totally amazing episode I have to see, and then every single time I relent and watch it and it turns out it's poo poo and then I tell them that and they say "Yeah I guess that episode is pretty bad, but you have to watch *this* episode because it's really good" and then I say "no thank you" and I'm good for another five years or so.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

roomforthetuna posted:

Proper Doctor Who from the old days was already woke, but done right, where the Doctor was a maniacally ranting idiot, the sidekick was a young woman whose proposed solution to every problem was to throw explosives at it (and sometimes the Doctor even agreed), and an example villain was essentially Bertie Bassett running an evil space hotel.

Now the story is essentially the same but the villain is a boring faceless spacesuit, the sidekicks are boring identityless nothing, and the Doctor is just an amalgam of quips in imitation of Joss Whedon writing. It doesn't matter who the actor or actress is, when the writer is 4 pieces of poo poo wanking together around a table.

Edit: to be clear, I'm still not saying old Doctor Who was *good*, but it was fun and stupid, now it's just stupid.

Bloody killjoys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkjc_5yGCmM

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Umm these ones are actually pretty good.

Not least because you will slay nerd girl pussy when they see them and you say "It's bigger on the inside".

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Stopped caring about Dr Who nearly a decade ago. What little I've heard over the years sounded bad.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxS-AhY2h24

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
I’ve only seen a handful of tenant episodes and read that one Gaiman Dr Who fanfic short story so I’m really not invested in the British show that never ends but hoo boy this news sure gets me mad

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Blackfyre posted:

dr who gives a gently caress

Ha this

Show has always been bad and I loved BG, original Star Trek, and B5

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The only Doctor Who I saw was with C. Eccleston and one episode was like a bunch of aliens constantly farting non-stop 100% of the time. The whole episode was one big long fart. I think the doctor also farted and Rose too, maybe there was a shart, I don't remember.

The point is:

Someone decided in their heart of hearts that "yes, this is the media I'm gonna invest my personality into caring about. The fart show"

And I think that's marvelous.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
The only thing i saw from dr who was some bad terrible monster being a trash can covered in corrugated pipe and welp this is dumb as hell

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Frankenstyle posted:

Ah! No! Red Dwarf is just like Modern Family. It's a comedy, but somehow they forgot to put even one single funny thing in it.
__________________/

and that is tea

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
TBH the title sequence is better than the show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNszKKAtEwU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

An an american, we fought the god drat revolutionary war so we wouldn't have to put up with weird British TV anymore. Anyone who says different doesn't support the troops :colbert: :patriot:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Mooey Cow posted:

The only Doctor Who I saw was with C. Eccleston and one episode was like a bunch of aliens constantly farting non-stop 100% of the time. The whole episode was one big long fart. I think the doctor also farted and Rose too, maybe there was a shart, I don't remember.

The point is:

Someone decided in their heart of hearts that "yes, this is the media I'm gonna invest my personality into caring about. The fart show"

And I think that's marvelous.

that episode is loving awful, even compared to other awful Doctor Who episodes, which there are plenty of. I think it's the first or second episode of the rebooted series too. People like to point to the last couple seasons and say it "got bad" but that episode is proof that it was always bad, and the good seasons are the exception.

Most of David Tennant's run is good though. The worst parts were always episodes where they brought back "classic" villains like the Daleks and Cybermen, like maybe those worked on a zero-budget show in the '60s but they are loving dumb today. The Matt Smith seasons start fine but get worse over time, and the last 6 seasons or so have been bad. I've only seen them because my partner still watches it and I usually play games or browse the forums on my tablet in the same room.

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
dr who gives a gently caress

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
dr. who is bad because the doctor is an overpowered character and the baddies aren't menacing because the doctor is too good at sorting them out.

case in point: the episode that everyone raves about, where they introduced the statues that only move when you're not looking at them. That episode is suspenseful and tense precisely because the doctor isn't around to save the day

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

2005- Doctor Who did predict the Joss Whedoning of nerd culture ahead of time. along with nerd franchises becoming entirely about themselves, their 'legacy' and sucking their own dicks, although that goes back to the 80s.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Honestly the trend where they replace pop characters in a franchise by using literally the same character but changing their ethnicity, gender, or orientation it does always come across a bit cynically pandering to me. It’s a superhero series why not just invent and add a new one rather than changing an old one, heck with how long some of these cinematic universes have been running they coulda snuck in several background origin stories that’d be a decade old and established by now, it’s just so lazy.

However when there’s literally a plot device for a character to pass the baton onto the next like with Dr. Who, sure why not, feels like a solid gesture to be more inclusive.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I couldn't get into Dr. Who but half of my friends didn't just get into it- they went balls deep into it. So I tried to give it an the ol' college try and put it on in the background while doing other stuff and I kept catching myself thinking, "what the hell is this garbage?" I just couldn't do it. I don't think I've met anyone who wasn't either really into it or disliked it, there doesn't seem to be a middle.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I think it helps if you watch from 'the beginning' whenever that is. Part of the appeal is the companion is a normal person living a humdrum life and this guy comes along and takes them away on adventures. If you tune in to some random show, it's just 2 people fighting someone in a bug costume and it probably sucks even more than it actually does. I watched the Christopher Eccleston series when it was on and it was not bad. It helped that Billie Piper was cute and not a fat old lady.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

TheMCFriedMyBrain posted:

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/479492-black-female-doctor-who/
Welp, the show looks like it's going to be cancelled because of this dumb decision.

Comments are pretty crazy. And on RT too!

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

I think it helps if you watch from 'the beginning' whenever that is. Part of the appeal is the companion is a normal person living a humdrum life and this guy comes along and takes them away on adventures. If you tune in to some random show, it's just 2 people fighting someone in a bug costume and it probably sucks even more than it actually does. I watched the Christopher Eccleston series when it was on and it was not bad. It helped that Billie Piper was cute and not a fat old lady.

Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper were great. I watched a few David Tennant episodes but stopped after the one where Buddhist monks take over a Scottish castle in a plot to assassinate Queen Victoria using a werewolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aWIYQHxXEo

There was even a wire fu sequence at the beginning. It's like they used mad libs to write an episode.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Extra Large Marge posted:

There was even a wire fu sequence at the beginning. It's like they used mad libs to write an episode.

the reference is lost now and was already dated back then but this episode was almost certainly inspired by 'brotherhood of the wolf' a trashy French horror/action movie which American critics were fooled into thinking was good because it was subtitled

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
I haven’t watched since David Tennant but as trash as the show was even then it was better than at least half of all the other shows being broadcast.

I’m not saying it’s good. I’m saying all TV is garbage.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The one where squid faced aliens got possessed by the devil and killed some dudes was pretty sweet you gotta admit.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
lol RT has a gift shop.

a bit too on the nose imo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ArbitraryC posted:

However when there’s literally a plot device for a character to pass the baton onto the next like with Dr. Who, sure why not, feels like a solid gesture to be more inclusive.

The "why not" is that the show's most devoted fanbase wrote so much dr who supernatural gay erotic slashfic that it had it's own separate genre on tumblr. With many flourishing sub-genres.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Icochet posted:

When talking about scifi shows a coworker said I should check out dr Who so I watched two Eccleston episodes and was like "what the gently caress" and then I watched two Tennant episodes and was like "what the gently caress"

That's my dr Who story and I still get angry just thinking about it

agreed, i had a similar experience and now i hate doctor who and i question the intelligence of anyone who mentions enjoying it

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Dr. Who fans always feel it necessary to prepare you in some way for what you are about to view. They either need to give you some hyperbolic exposition or prepare the throw pillows "just so", so that everyone in the room is prepared for prime Dr. Who viewing. If you were feeling depressed or emotionally neglected in any way you could just tell a Dr. Who fan you've never seen the show and they would give you a solid 20 minutes of attention in exchange for vacantly watching a single episode of their bad show.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Not gonna lie, I'd watch Dr. Who if they got The Iron Sheikh to play the titular Time Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
RTD’s run on the show is pretty cringey despite it being way better than anything that followed it.

I still rewatch the starship titanic Christmas special with Kylie Minogue every year and cry when she dies though.

Jon pertwee is the best doctor and I respect your right to disagree but you are wrong and to support my evidence I put forth Sarah Jane Smith, the jalopy and his multi episode cross vehicle chase scene.

These are pretty much the only opinions about doctor who i have that are worth sharing thanks for making this thread so I didn’t have to open tv iv to do so