Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ArbitraryC posted:

Was in seattle with the fiancee for a wedding the other year and we hit up a place she heard about through taiwanese social media as serving good taiwanese food, place had a line out the door and an hour wait, when we finally got in I think I was the only white dude there.

One time on a date with an Asian girl she chose some Korean place for us to go, in the "Asian" area of San Diego. I sat down and looked around and there was exactly one other white guy in the place, everyone else was Asian (in a packed restaurant). We gave each other bro nod from across the place and I just thought to myself "hell yeah, this is gonna be the real deal here". It was pretty good. They served soup dishes in these stone bowls that stay super hot, and the had raw eggs (like, in the shell) on the table. You could take an egg, crack it, and drop the yolk into the soup and it would cook right then and there. Was pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I just think it's funny some goon was like "you can't use that as a barometer, maybe they have poo poo tastes and even if they didn't, white people would overrun the place anyways" and it's like bro you ever been to a major coastal city, there's tons of incredibly authentic places and you absolutely can find them by asking people from other cultures where's good and they really won't have a frothy swarm of white people because they mostly do go to americanized places instead.

That said you're not SOL in smaller cities or towns either, lot of the americanized places do have "hidden" menus for people who speak the language. I go to a monthly dinner party in typical conservative city, eastern washington, hosted by a local group of taiwanese people and while the place they mostly host at is your typical small town "asian" restaurant with a mishmash of starchy fried western friendly options that span an entire continent for origins, the owner is from China and works with the group to provide a bunch of options they don't have on their normal menu, so we get a family style feast of fair you typically couldn't find around here.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ArbitraryC posted:

I just think it's funny some goon was like "you can't use that as a barometer, maybe they have poo poo tastes and even if they didn't, white people would overrun the place anyways" and it's like bro you ever been to a major coastal city, there's tons of incredibly authentic places and you absolutely can find them by asking people from other cultures where's good and they really won't have a frothy swarm of white people because they mostly do go to americanized places instead.

I'll try and explain my knee jerk reaction better. Naturally, there are plenty of awesome restaurants that serve members of their own immigrant community. The super hot tip of "only go where there's no white people" usually also coincides with tips like "only grimy Mexican restaurants serve authentic food" and other things about how the only worthwhile restaurants are actually cheap, dirty, holes-in-the-wall. That's a harmful stereotype that boxes immigrant-run restaurants into one very specific trope that disincentivizes anything other than what's deemed "authentic." So a place with amazing, inexpensive food starts out with a spot in an old ramshackle building with cheap rent, and they make money. They upgrade to a new space, newer building, get a website, pay their employees more, raise prices to pay for it all, all that. Now they don't get any new customers who don't want to pay more for something that doesn't match their idea of what good Mexican restaurants should be. It's a catch 22 for restaurateurs, and that sucks.

I used to believe the same tips, but I learned more about the situation and how they're part of a bigger problem.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Never go to a german restaurant with tons of white people in it. German people only

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Relayer posted:

Never go to a german restaurant with tons of white people in it. German people only

I’m going to Helen, GA to eat spaetzle and to sing the two forbidden verses.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mostly I just think the "I was the only white person in the place" story is just the most White Guy thing possible, regardless of the economics or societal connotations.

Bereft of further continents to discover, the white man instinctively searches for the last remaining un-colonized land: the authentic ethnic restaurant. Entering such an establishment in the heart of a minority community, he looks around carefully. Perfect! No other white people to be seen. It is a new frontier uninhabited by others of his kind. In the back of his head a flag is planted in the ground. "I claim this eatery in the name of the Anglo-Saxons!" The genetic memory of his ancestors is satisfied; he has found a New World unsullied by other whites, and tasted its bounty.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

If you like Indian food you may also like Ethiopian food.
For those that cook, here’s your secret word for today: berbere.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Nepalese restaurant.

Start with mango lassi and some lentil soup.

I don't know what happened to the lassi, it was there one second then it was empty :iiam:

Then momo and some spicy shrimp korma:

Delicious.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Klyith posted:

Mostly I just think the "I was the only white person in the place" story is just the most White Guy thing possible, regardless of the economics or societal connotations.

Bereft of further continents to discover, the white man instinctively searches for the last remaining un-colonized land: the authentic ethnic restaurant. Entering such an establishment in the heart of a minority community, he looks around carefully. Perfect! No other white people to be seen. It is a new frontier uninhabited by others of his kind. In the back of his head a flag is planted in the ground. "I claim this eatery in the name of the Anglo-Saxons!" The genetic memory of his ancestors is satisfied; he has found a New World unsullied by other whites, and tasted its bounty.

Columbusing at its laziest

you must give the :smug: face while proclaiming your conquest

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Nepalese restaurant.

Start with mango lassi and some lentil soup.

I don't know what happened to the lassi, it was there one second then it was empty :iiam:

Then momo and some spicy shrimp korma:

Delicious.

drat you just reminded me of a momo food truck that disappeared years ago and now I'm sad. You could get momo with curry fried rice on the side, it was the best

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Klyith posted:

Thank you for putting into words what it's felt like to read the last couple pages. It's very weird to pat yourself on the back for being the ~only white person~ in your quest for the ultimate ethnic restaurant authenticity. Food is good, or it's not, and it's not that big a deal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Crusty Nutsack posted:

you have big white guy energy, congrats

It’s weird how racists keep erasing POC in this thread and accusing them of being white, and then calling them racists when corrected them. It’s just bizarre, lol! This is a very racist thing to say to a POC, FYI. You might say you have “big racist energy”

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 18, 2020

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao he's doubling down!!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

lmao he's doubling down!!

Telling a Mexican guy “you talk like a white guy” is actually racist, I’m sorry you had to find out this way

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

The Dregs posted:

You had it backward. If you want authentic Mexican food, don't look at the cooks. Look at the other customers. If they're white, you're probably at La Parilla or some poo poo.

So then Taco Bell is authentic since it's so popular with latinos

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
White people are so insanely happy if they're the only white person in a restaurant. It just makes them feel so special and good

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Crusty Nutsack posted:

you're doing that projecting thing where you call everyone racist and angry, but it is in fact you who are those things

Lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

JK Fresco posted:

White people are so insanely happy if they're the only white person in a restaurant. It just makes them feel so special and good

You guys got a real weird axe to grind on this one, it’s just an easy way to tell you’re at a place that caters to a different audience than you. It’s not about being special it’s about having an experience and enjoying some food you can’t find at a heavily Americanized place.

I don’t go out of my way to find somewhere that specifically doesn’t have white customers, you end up at a place like that by having friends that want to share some authentic cuisine with you.

If you’re reading some weird posturing into it like someone would only enjoy that to brag to their friends or something it’s prolly you that’s projecting here.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i had a taste of phaal once. it was incredible but I wanted to die afterwards.

Used to go to a place in Montreal all the time where the owner was from Goa, the seafood curries were just out of this world good, and he did something with lamb dhansak ive never tasted anywhere else. miss that place.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s weird how racists keep erasing POC in this thread and accusing them of being white, and then calling them racists when corrected them. It’s just bizarre, lol! This is a very racist thing to say to a POC, FYI. You might say you have “big racist energy”

It is even weirder that a white guy who started it all by saying that he can tell if a Mexican restaurant is authentic by seeing if the cooks are authentic Mexicans is the one pointing fingers here.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 18, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

JK Fresco posted:

https://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m house sitting and my client had some frozen Tikka Masala ‘burritos’ that was actually just long rear end Samosa stuffed with Tikka Masalaa chicken. If I’m being honest they were PRETTY GOOD.

Probs hitting up my 2nd Choice Indian Buffet this week, since my first choice and my favorite take out place are closed for the season.

I guess I just also reject the idea that people stop going to restaurants when they are nicer and more expensive, I lived in Philly for like 10 years and have never heard anyone express that or a similar opinion. We had every form of cuisine under the sun, across the entire spectrum of hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese soup shop to fancy candlelight Indian buffets and whether or not it was “too fancy to be authentic” never crossed anyone’s mind.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 18, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bust Rodd posted:

I guess I just also reject the idea that people stop going to restaurants when they are nicer and more expensive, I lived in Philly for like 10 years and have never heard anyone express that or a similar opinion. We had every form of cuisine under the sun, across the entire spectrum of hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese soup shop to fancy candlelight Indian buffets and whether or not it was “too fancy to be authentic” never crossed anyone’s mind.

I'm a little split on the idea, because depending on how the question leads I come up with different answers.
Do I expect a "fancy" chinese restaurant to cost as much as the french restaurant? Not really.
Would I pay a $30 entree price at a chinese restaurant if I'd heard the place was great from someone? Sure.

But I think I can reconcile the two answers and propose a non-racist reason for the struggles of high-end ethnic dining: booze. I don't expect a meal at an asian or indian place to cost as much because I probably won't be getting a bottle of (heavily marked-up) wine. Maybe a beer, maybe not, depending on what I'm eating. Meanwhile, booze is the main profit center of a french or italian restaurant.

So maybe the problem isn't that people are racist and don't want to spend money on ethnic food. Maybe what's happening is that some culinary traditions are inherently disadvantaged by their lack of alcoholic tradition, so they just can't operate the same as other high-end restaurants.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That makes a lot of sense. as an American I didn’t realize that other countries didn’t drink the same way that we do at basically every meal until I was in my early to mid 20s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

I'm a little split on the idea, because depending on how the question leads I come up with different answers.
Do I expect a "fancy" chinese restaurant to cost as much as the french restaurant? Not really.
Would I pay a $30 entree price at a chinese restaurant if I'd heard the place was great from someone? Sure.

But I think I can reconcile the two answers and propose a non-racist reason for the struggles of high-end ethnic dining: booze. I don't expect a meal at an asian or indian place to cost as much because I probably won't be getting a bottle of (heavily marked-up) wine. Maybe a beer, maybe not, depending on what I'm eating. Meanwhile, booze is the main profit center of a french or italian restaurant.

So maybe the problem isn't that people are racist and don't want to spend money on ethnic food. Maybe what's happening is that some culinary traditions are inherently disadvantaged by their lack of alcoholic tradition, so they just can't operate the same as other high-end restaurants.

If Chinese places sold marked up Baijiu they would either make bank because it’s dirt cheap, or be burnt to the ground by angry people hosed up on something that tastes like a gas station smells. There is no middle ground and I don’t know which way it would go.