Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for January, 2020?
This poll is closed.
:nallears: Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Champion) 44 46.32%
:judas: Chris Jericho (AEW Champion) 26 27.37%
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (FORMER IWGP Champion) 5 5.26%
:catstare: Mayu Iwatani (World of Stardom Champion) 5 5.26%
:stoked: Riho (AEW Women's Champion) 3 3.16%
Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion) 3 3.16%
:yowie: The Fiend (WWE Universal Champion) 2 2.11%
:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 2 2.11%
:nono: Bayley (Smackdown Women's Champion) 1 1.05%
Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 1 1.05%
:livintrope: Masato Tanaka (KO-D Openweight Champion) 1 1.05%
:clint: Becky Lynch (Raw Women's Champion) 0 0%
:D HARASHIMA (FORMER KO-D Openweight Champion) 0 0%
:iit: None of the Above 2 2.11%
Total: 95 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jerusalem posted:

Statistics for 2019 showed six promotions couldn't manage double digit votes across all of the year. As a result, IMPACT, NWA, NXT & PWG have been temporarily removed from the eligible promotions for 2020. I will consider re-adding these to the poll if there appears to be the momentum to warrant it - I have included NOAH this month because of their recent sale marking a seeming fresh start, if there remains no interest I will drop them from the list again.

Looking at the numbers, WWE has an uphill battle to stay eligible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
They'll stumble rear end backwards into a champion the forum is desperate to pretend means the company has done right by them and win a random month or two between April and August.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

karmicknight posted:

They'll stumble rear end backwards into a champion the forum is desperate to pretend means the company has done right by them and win a random month or two between April and August.

Oh right, they’ll slap a belt on Edge at some point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Based on last year's numbers the Raw Women's Champion is legit at serious risk of falling off the poll. The current Raw Women's Champion is the same woman who won 4 straight months at the tail end of 2018 :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bumping with a reminder to vote, this isn't Iowa so your vote will actually count I promise.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just now noticed this notice and now I'm laughing that the TJPW champion has tied with the entire WWE at 3 entire votes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TJPW was actually one of the stronger performers of 2019!

code:
PROMOTION			TOTAL VOTES

NJPW				187
WWE				185
AEW				176
AEW Women			64
AJPW				60
ROH				46
TJPW				42
STARDOM				38
Smackdown Women			34
WWE Universal			20
Dragon Gate			17
Raw Women			17
DDT				12
NWA				9
NXT				8
IMPACT				6
NXT Women			5
NOAH				4
PWG				0

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Would it be fair to count DDT, TJPW, and NOAH as a single entity now since they definitely have cross-over regularly like WWE/NXT/NXT UK (The NJPW/Stardom partnership is still young but I don't think they'll ever have people regularly interacting)

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

Would it be fair to count DDT, TJPW, and NOAH as a single entity now since they definitely have cross-over regularly like WWE/NXT/NXT UK (The NJPW/Stardom partnership is still young but I don't think they'll ever have people regularly interacting)

WWE/NXT/NXT UK are not counted as a single entity though? Also NXT UK isn't real.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah the WWE stuff isn't counted as a single entity, and even if you lumped DDT/TJPW/NOAH together for a larger number, you'd also have to lump all the WWE stuff together which would make for an even larger number than that.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

If January is an indicator so far, WWE might not even make it to 50 votes all year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If Drew wins the title from Brock at Mania I'm expecting he'll pick up a good amount of votes even if he doesn't win. Also there's always a chance that WWE accidentally stumbles rear end backwards into a hot talent getting over with the fans and there are a couple of months before they realize and decide to start "helping" by taking over complete control of their entire character and turning them into nobodies again.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

at some point this year wwe will put the title on someone dumb and everyone will vote for them ironically for a month

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

5 years from now people will be going,"Who was this Mojo Rawley and why was he Champ of the month for 3 months straight?"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'll vote the hell out of Keith Lee or Io Shirai if they stay exclusively in NXT and the product remains largely unchanged but that's about as far as I'm willing to stick my neck out for WWE right now. I hate sounding cynical because I've enjoyed RAW lately but the main product is where people go to kill their careers. Ricochet went from one of the hottest prospects in wrestling right back to the doofus he was in CHIKARA before they put a mask on him and made him stop talking.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

RealFoxy posted:

There is limited crossover but it's not like NOAH & TJPW are feeder leagues to DDT. Unlike NXT definitely being regarded & treated as a tier below Raw & Smackdown. The crossover is no different to Big Japan guys regularly appearing in All Japan or any other number of crossover gigs that happen in most of Japan outside of NJPW. Dragon Gate guys are also appearing on NOAH (Masaaki Mochizuki is one half of the tag champs in NOAH!). To me a Marufuji joining Disaster Box is different to Walter appearing at Survivor Series.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

5 years from now people will be going,"Who was this Mojo Rawley and why was he Champ of the month for 3 months straight?"

Jinder winning champion of the month says a lot about the state of WWE and how it's been treated here

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Whoops wrong thread

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 2020s started the same way the last four years all began, with the IWGP Champion winning the first month of the poll on the strength of the Wrestle Kingdom event. But this wasn't the usual suspects, because finally a years old storyline culminated, as Tetsuya Naito FINALLY got his Wrestle Kingdom main event against Kazuchika Okada, won the belt AND all with the love and support of fans who had once humiliatingly rejected him. Naito's victory was sullied (but also set up an amazing new feud) by an assault from KENTA but the belts were his, and nobody could deny that Naito had finally TRULY reached the top of the mountain. Yes he's been the IWGP Champion before, and he's won the monthly polls before (just not for several years) but this January felt like something new and special for the Double Champion. He's the IWGP Heavyweight Champion, he's the IWGP Intercontinental Title, and once again he is the Rowdy Ringsports Pro-Wrestling Champion of the Month too.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.