Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

twistedmentat posted:

Paul Atredies, wife guy.

I thought he was more of a knife guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
my wife - book of the Maud'ib

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the Wife.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

Watched the movie last night and I think this trilogy will join LOTR in the good nerd adaptation club.
If anything, finally we get sci fi that is alien, incomprehensible and strange rather than overcomplicated panel lines and emissive lights on everything. Dunc has some haunting imagery.

Even if third movie sucks, end of second is perfect jumping point for the gale force 9 dune board game adaptation, which will remain the peak dune adaptation anyway.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought he was more of a knife guy

He's pretty happy for a guy with 2 knives and 2 wives.

Here's a Dune theory for you, the reason the Missionaria Protectiva was so effective and accurate on Dune with the Fremen was some Bene Gesserit while high as poo poo on spice actually saw what happened with Paul and worked that into the legends they seeded there.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The missionaria makes basically no sense of you think about it. So thousands of highly trained bg travel round shitass planets planting legends so marooned sisters who happen to have sons can pretend to be foretold leaders rather than, say, getting a ship back home?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

sebmojo posted:

The missionaria makes basically no sense of you think about it. So thousands of highly trained bg travel round shitass planets planting legends so marooned sisters who happen to have sons can pretend to be foretold leaders rather than, say, getting a ship back home?

I got the feeling they would seed legends that were appropriate for that culture and/or planet.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

twistedmentat posted:

I got the feeling they would seed legends that were appropriate for that culture and/or planet.

but why not put those resources into actually rescuing the marooned sisters iykwim just seems a little rear end about face for the quasi-magical mistresses of ultra tuned hyperawareness

it's a great practical story element and deeply thematically relevant for sure, just doesn't appear to make a lot of sense.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm pretty sure it was one of those things they did while they were already in the neighborhood to gently caress with the locals in general. Topple the local ruler by using the 298 sex positions, do a little genetic analysis, maybe set up some beneficial local legends if you've got some time to kill.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sebmojo posted:

They're engaged in a millennium long conspiracy, sending a few missionaries around to be like "oh yeah God wants you to drop everything to help creepy psychic women" is kind of a drop in the bucket

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

sebmojo posted:

How many 2000 year old boats can you find in working order?
How many people love Jesus and look to His second coming to this day?

Even if they could hide some spaceships, it doesn't do you much good if every local you meet sees you exclusively as an outsider in need of vanquishing.

Also, I don't recall specifically from the book, but if Wikipedia is to be believed, the same legend wasn't seeded on every planet:

Wikipedia posted:

That the mahdi legend has been planted on Dune indicates to Jessica that conditions on Dune are truly awful, since this legend is reserved for only the harshest environments where a Bene Gesserit would need the maximum advantage over surrounding influences.

Perhaps some planets get the legend of the fallen angel, who desperately needs to be sent back to Heaven. And hey, that ship over there should suffice.

Was the Kwisatz Haderach something that the early Bene Gesserit truly believed, or a legend that they seeded into themselves?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Was it mentioned it was just a way to get stranded mothers home?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I have a question for people that came to my mind while I was at the grocery store buying candy last week to go see part 2:

Would gummy worms offend fremen?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

David D. Davidson posted:

I have a question for people that came to my mind while I was at the grocery store buying candy last week to go see part 2:

Would gummy worms offend fremen?

Blessed is the maker in his gummy form.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Was it mentioned it was just a way to get stranded mothers home?

It'll help them in a general sense.
Get back up to the top of the social pyramid after escaping a bad situation (I don't think ships crash often, so if a BG sister is in trouble there's probably enemy action going on), and once you've used the peasants to defeat your rival, you can get onto a ship or send a message to someone offworld.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

He's pretty happy for a guy with 2 knives and 2 wives.

Here's a Dune theory for you, the reason the Missionaria Protectiva was so effective and accurate on Dune with the Fremen was some Bene Gesserit while high as poo poo on spice actually saw what happened with Paul and worked that into the legends they seeded there.

Heh, WOULD explain a lot, even given the prescient are invisible to one another it's possible to get glimpses, especially if they're vague enough to make a prophecy. Self-fulfilling and all that.

Speleothing posted:

It'll help them in a general sense.
Get back up to the top of the social pyramid after escaping a bad situation (I don't think ships crash often, so if a BG sister is in trouble there's probably enemy action going on), and once you've used the peasants to defeat your rival, you can get onto a ship or send a message to someone offworld.

Yeah, the fun thing is that once you've gotten on top of a social pyramid you have a lot of options, and the whole deal with the BG is extremely long-term infiltration of every level of galactic society. Like, the Emperor himself is practically their puppet. (Ironically it's the Harkonnens who they seem to struggle the most to control, given their massive misogynistic streak, but they're also base enough that the BG feel confident in being able to do so anyway)

And yeah, Arrakis being both extremely harsh and extremely important, it makes sense that they would take the risk of seeding a prophecy that would, well, potentially lead to poo poo like in the book. Though of course, that level of things ended up still being rather out of hand. The whole thing with the BG is that they think extremely long term, and preferring to be adjacent to power rather than holding it, along with their strong focus on social infiltration and manipulation, openly means they can slip pretty freely between pretty much any aspect of society and culture, and effectively act as an amazingly effective spy network. (And maintain enough internal cohesion that it takes some serious time and events to have any kind of schism, possibly due to what's implied to be a vaguely democratic if strongly seniority-based internal structure, and in general treating one another as fellow women of power. Almost like Pratchett's witches, ha)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

YoursTruly posted:

Was the Kwisatz Haderach something that the early Bene Gesserit truly believed, or a legend that they seeded into themselves?

It's the end goal of their entire breeding program. They truly believe it is possible but it's not like... a prophecy or legend, it's an aspirational goal.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Defiance Industries posted:

It's the end goal of their entire breeding program. They truly believe it is possible but it's not like... a prophecy or legend, it's an aspirational goal.

Yeah, Bene Gesserit "believed" in the KH in the sense that they considered it a potent tool for consolidating political power.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
OK, which authors were actually Bene Gesserit covertly seeding legends into our libraries? Beverly Cleary?

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, Bene Gesserit "believed" in the KH in the sense that they considered it a potent tool for consolidating political power.

I still feel like the Bene Gesserit had no actual idea what they would do with a KH. A KH is a great tool for making changes, but by the time one popped up the Sisters were pretty much committed to the status quo. Also it’s tremendously arrogant to try to create someone to do something you’ve never done before and be oh so confident you could control them; I have a feeling even if Jessica had cooperated the resulting Feyd-sired KH would have not been the obedient servant the Bene Gesserit wanted.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This is explicit-ish in Messiah, where the Tleilaxu guy says they made a KH out of genes for shits and giggles but he wasn't much use.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really want to see a live action Tleilaxu. I want them to look weird like they are described in the books.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

twistedmentat posted:

I really want to see a live action Tleilaxu. I want them to look weird like they are described in the books.

We had live action Tleilaxu already, in the McAvoy miniseries. And the actor was perfect.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
of course a white guy naturally walks without rhythm

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fuschia tude posted:

We had live action Tleilaxu already, in the McAvoy miniseries. And the actor was perfect.

If I remember he was normal looking without the grey skin and pointy teeth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MadDogMike posted:

I still feel like the Bene Gesserit had no actual idea what they would do with a KH. A KH is a great tool for making changes, but by the time one popped up the Sisters were pretty much committed to the status quo. Also it’s tremendously arrogant to try to create someone to do something you’ve never done before and be oh so confident you could control them; I have a feeling even if Jessica had cooperated the resulting Feyd-sired KH would have not been the obedient servant the Bene Gesserit wanted.

Yeah, there's a big theme about the BG really seeming like any other galactic institution in that they exist basically to perpetuate their existence and consolidate their own power without a real vision, and it says a lot how everything goes off the rails just because one concubine actually likes the guy that she's assigned to. The KH is a superweapon, and you can't have one of those without shaking up the status quo simply because of its existence.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, there's a big theme about the BG really seeming like any other galactic institution in that they exist basically to perpetuate their existence and consolidate their own power without a real vision, and it says a lot how everything goes off the rails just because one concubine actually likes the guy that she's assigned to. The KH is a superweapon, and you can't have one of those without shaking up the status quo simply because of its existence.

Jessica only screws it all up because they're so close, a generation away from the KH. She basically starts doing the Ickey Shuffle at mile 26.19

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

josh04 posted:

This is explicit-ish in Messiah, where the Tleilaxu guy says they made a KH out of genes for shits and giggles but he wasn't much use.

He says that they had to kill their KH because he was a problem for the Tleilaxu.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
Dune’t stare directly at atomics

Just saw Dune 2 in the theatres. The last time I went to a theatre was for Dune 1. Both times it was so loud the fixtures were rattling

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Speleothing posted:

He says that they had to kill their KH because he was a problem for the Tleilaxu.

I thought he killed himself?

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sebmojo posted:

but why not put those resources into actually rescuing the marooned sisters iykwim just seems a little rear end about face for the quasi-magical mistresses of ultra tuned hyperawareness

They're putting the work into spreading legends hundreds or thousands of years before they need it, so it's a long term investment. I also get the impression that they weren't spending a whole lot of resources on any one planet, just getting some legends along a familiar template in place and letting them stay as part of a local culture. And it's much better than just having a ship on standby because you have an easy lever to manipulate the local population if you ever want them to do something - it could be 'get off planet', but could also be 'start a revolt to discredit or distract this person' or 'steal this important object' or 'start a local army.' It also doesn't really need maintenance, people will keep repeating the legends so it's not like a ship where you have to keep topping off the fuel and cleaning out the sand.

I love the bit in one of the later books where Leto has been dead for thousands of years, and a Bene Gesserit finds a message directly from him to her talking about her current situation. He may be long dead, but he's still in their heads and still knew what they'd be up to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I know its the Rakis horde discovery, but I think it was murbella? Or is it, dammit I forget her name, but the girl that can talk to worms?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So the Flophouse podcast has a long running gag of Tom Brokaw as a massive Dune fan, and as part of that, the most recent episode features his pitch for a Dune Musical, "Baliset Player on the Sietch".

Which I would recommend listening to.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
There already was a Dune musical https://www.udio.com/songs/eY7xtug1dV6hbfCDhyHJua

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is why we need the Butlerian Jihad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
should have had Elton John do it

https://soundcloud.com/lambertnonconformal/bbbbene-gesserit

though I like this version just for the line She's got a box of pain, her Voice controls your brain

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7348258680376184095