Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Keep moving those goalposts man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
For what it's worth, you can buy a 1W laser projector for $700 or so:

https://m.wickedlasers.com/cube

It's legal to sell because it's not intended as a handheld device, though some places may have laws regulating how one uses it.

There's also this laser which can effortlessly wipe rust off of metal like something straight out of Star Trek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGSzBXKONo

DropsySufferer posted:

I’m pretty sure the US military has a prototype 747 with a giant laser inside it. Yes they did...
Boeing YAL-1

A shame it was scrapped in 2014. :sigh:

As I understand, the problem there was that the laser was powered by mixing together large quantities of nasty chemicals - not especially practical.

The Army and Navy have been testing plain old electric lasers in the 200-300kW range, and it looks like they may be pretty close to being combat ready:

https://www.naval-technology.com/features/navy-laser-weapon-systems/

Shooting down a missile with a laser would potentially be much faster and much less expensive than trying to hit it with another missile.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Keep moving those goalposts man.

My original statement still stands. Looking at the dot of a powerful laser will damage your eyes. You can probably get away with really fast looking, but you shouldn't risk it with moderate looking. If I had known you were so interested in this I would have specified in the original post.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cockmaster posted:

For what it's worth, you can buy a 1W laser projector for $700 or so:

https://m.wickedlasers.com/cube

It's legal to sell because it's not intended as a handheld device, though some places may have laws regulating how one uses it.

Shooting down a missile with a laser would potentially be much faster and much less expensive than trying to hit it with another missile.

Much, much faster and more accurate, but it's never going to be less expensive unless somebody invents cold fusion that runs on tapwater or something

the military's been talking about its Star Wars doom lasers that are totally gonna be deployable any day now since the 80s when even laser-pointer type lasers weighed like fifty pounds, they're moderately effective at lighting large piles of money on fire so long as the Army/Navy/USAF plants an incendiary device on the money first.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 5, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mnoba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/styropyro

let me introduce you to styropyro op, where he bought a one million watt laser on ebay or overclocked a plasma globe to a million watts

I can't decide if this guy is smart or insane. He seems to know his stuff and takes the correct safety precautions but in his most recent video he bought a Chinese tattoo remover from Ebay, saw it make craters in steel, and decided to use it on himself to remove some marker.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Devils Affricate posted:

My original statement still stands. Looking at the dot of a powerful laser will damage your eyes. You can probably get away with really fast looking, but you shouldn't risk it with moderate looking. If I had known you were so interested in this I would have specified in the original post.

Could you make us a graph with time on one axis and wattage on the other? Maybe different coloured lines for different coloured lasers?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Weka posted:

Could you make us a graph with time on one axis and wattage on the other? Maybe different coloured lines for different coloured lasers?

You're joking but the color of the laser would actually affect how dangerous it is.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Cockmaster posted:

There's also this laser which can effortlessly wipe rust off of metal like something straight out of Star Trek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACGSzBXKONo

Now that's a laser... and only costs $500k :v:

RatHat posted:

this guy is smart or insane.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Sryropyro guy is still alive, he posts loads more mental poo poo on Instagram in between his YouTube videos.

He's also does Judo competitively and is fuckin jacked :swoon:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Devils Affricate posted:

There doesn't seem to be any info on how many people get away with it, so admittedly there's no way to get definitive numbers on conviction rate, but for what it's worth there are shitloads of stories of people getting busted for it. https://www.laserpointersafety.com/sentences/sentences.html

Holy poo poo! The friend that I mentioned earlier that got busted for lasing a helicopter is on that page! Old Mark Hazlitt. He was a crazy fucker.

Also, there is another guy on there is god damned American hero.

On January 20 2019 in Kansas City, National Football League quarterback Tom Brady was targeted by a green laser beam during an NFL playoff game between Brady's New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs. The beam hit Brady at least three times during the game. It did not seem to be noticed by or to bother Brady, who went on to win the January 20 game as well as the NFL Super Bowl two weeks later.

On February 3 2019, Kansas City Chiefs officials said they had identified the person holding the laser, and had banned him for life from the Chief's stadium.

On April 11 2019, Dwyan Morgan was publicly named as the person who attacked Tom Brady with a laser. He was cited for a misdemeanor, one count of disturbing the peace. This carries a maximum penalty of up to a year in prison and a fine of up to $1,000.

Subsequent news stories indicated Morgan had no remorse, that he "still hates the Pats and Tom Brady…." In mid-May 2019 on the syndicated TV show Inside Edition, Morgan and his son appeared to be lighthearted about the incident. He said he did not intend to injure Brady; that he was intoxicated and wanted to distract the quarterback. He said "I shouldn't have done it" but also said he would not apologize to Brady or the Patriots football team.

On July 17 2019 Morgan pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace. He was fined $500. He was not given any jail time.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 5, 2020

itry
Aug 23, 2019

How did he disturbe the peace if Brady was not disturbed? :saddowns:

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Devils Affricate posted:

can you train your eye by looking at weaker lasers and gradually increasing the power

develop like some sort of eye callus

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Quotey posted:

can you train your eye by looking at weaker lasers and gradually increasing the power

develop like some sort of eye callus

So... cataracts?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

How did he disturbe the peace if Brady was not disturbed? :saddowns:

He plead to a lesser charge to save the DA a trial.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

The Dregs posted:

On July 17 2019 Morgan pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace. He was fined $500. He was not given any jail time.

drat. He could have bought a pretty sweet laser with that money.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
We live in an amazing bizarre reality where you can purchase incredible eye searing death ray poo poo off of TEH INTERNET and as long as you aren't a dumbass and point that poo poo at helicopters and airplanes you're apparently golden.

Makes me want to buy a chinese stupidly overpowered laser just to have it so when the inevitable laser assault case happens I can say "I got one before the crackdown!"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if that's blowing your mind wait until you hear about Armslist

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Much, much faster and more accurate, but it's never going to be less expensive unless somebody invents cold fusion that runs on tapwater or something

the military's been talking about its Star Wars doom lasers that are totally gonna be deployable any day now since the 80s when even laser-pointer type lasers weighed like fifty pounds, they're moderately effective at lighting large piles of money on fire so long as the Army/Navy/USAF plants an incendiary device on the money first.
Why not? Missiles cost anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars a piece. This small naval point defense missile costs you $1 million per shot.

I would bet most lasers won't cost you a million dollars per shot.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

how many millions of dollars does it take to fit a power source that literally doesn't exist with current technology, at all, into an airplane

for reference the one that was an order of magnitude or so underpowered cost ~1.5 billion per platform capable of zero useful shots

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 6, 2020

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

RatHat posted:

I can't decide if this guy is smart or insane. He seems to know his stuff and takes the correct safety precautions but in his most recent video he bought a Chinese tattoo remover from Ebay, saw it make craters in steel, and decided to use it on himself to remove some marker.

i believe he has a masters in chemistry, which his chemistry videos are actually scarier. find the videos where he finds an old chemisty book from the 40's and recreates some of the recipes.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Flavahbeast posted:

Are they really that damaging? I would expect to see IR lasers used as terror weapons if it was that easy to blind people with them

There hasn't been as much weaponization of lasers as one might expect from sci-fi because while it's very easy to blind people with lasers, it takes a LOT more power to give them any killing power, and purposely just maiming people instead of trying to kill them is (a bit counterintuitively) one of the few rules of the Geneva Conventions that gets taken seriously.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Mnoba posted:

i believe he has a masters in chemistry, which his chemistry videos are actually scarier. find the videos where he finds an old chemisty book from the 40's and recreates some of the recipes.

That one even got him temp banned from Youtube.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Elukka posted:

Why not? Missiles cost anywhere from hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars a piece. This small naval point defense missile costs you $1 million per shot.

I would bet most lasers won't cost you a million dollars per shot.

One of the articles I had seen gave an estimated cost of roughly $10 per shot.

how many millions of dollars does it take to fit a power source that literally doesn't exist with current technology, at all, into an airplane

Where do you get off thinking "Doesn't exist with current technology"? Most military aircraft use way more energy to get airborne than what is required to fire the laser weapons under development today.

Plus it's not like the laser would be constantly lit up - blowing up the average missile would probably take no more than a couple of seconds. If you have a capacitor bank with enough power for a handful of shots, you'd only need a relatively modest generator.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

oh word? there's tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars in it for you if you can put together a working demonstration of how simple it is, my dude, what are you doing wasting time posting on forums

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Not sure why people are saying the technology doesn't exist for a laser defense system. The US has had one deployed for several years now. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/SEQ-3_Laser_Weapon_System

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

oh word? there's tens if not hundreds of billions of dollars in it for you if you can put together a working demonstration of how simple it is, my dude, what are you doing wasting time posting on forums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hFC9ugTGLs