Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

He was banned with the threat of getting banned again any time he ever mentioned Discord, which is very funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Just started looking in to this game but the consensus seems to be that it's dead?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Ashmole posted:

Just started looking in to this game but the consensus seems to be that it's dead?

For now, at least. There's a tiny chance of resurrection at some point, but better not pine for it.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
i filed this one in my brain as 'lol, hype'

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It's super dead and there's little to no chance of it ever recovering, mainly because the micromanaging CEO has no idea what he's doing with the game's design.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Which is a shame, I had some crazy unique experiences in this game I probably won't have for decades again

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Keisari posted:

Oh right it was TT! I checked, he isn't permad, just basic ban. But I recall he turned out to be a certain kind of guy that no one will want to play with him from here, so yeah it's done.

I could have told you that years ago. TT is either the dumbest person ever to play with goons in a survival MMO or a colossal goonfucker. In Atlas whenever we’d run treasure maps he’d constantly get lost and we’d have to spend hours “minding him”. Eventually it was decided that it was easiest to just drag him to each chest with a grappling hook like a giant toddler.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
My first interaction with that dude was him plowing in life is feudal and managing to lose 3 of them in the space of 24 hours. I thought it was endearing that we had someone who clearly had some sort of developmental disorder but was keen to overcome that and play video games. Lmao at anyone who followed him though.

I'll forever remember Starbase as a resounding reason why community managers are a thing. I've never lost interest in a game faster than after reading Lauri's "griefer agenda" post.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Simon Numbers posted:

I'll forever remember Starbase as a resounding reason why community managers are a thing. I've never lost interest in a game faster than after reading Lauri's "griefer agenda" post.

The weird thing is that they had something like 5 CMs. Lauri just reached over them constantly like he did with everyone else.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Sachant posted:

The weird thing is that they had something like 5 CMs. Lauri just reached over them constantly like he did with everyone else.

He reminds me of Kerberos Productions's Mecron. It's all ~my vision~ (even if that vision is loving terrible), and communicating with the fans arrogantly. Add a terrible workplace and it all ends in a dumpster fire like sword of the stars 2.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Keisari posted:

He reminds me of Kerberos Productions's Mecron. It's all ~my vision~ (even if that vision is loving terrible), and communicating with the fans arrogantly. Add a terrible workplace and it all ends in a dumpster fire like sword of the stars 2.

But the fuckin SPACE DOLPHINS nan. Every time I think about sots2, I realize that Sword of the Stars 1 being fairly successful had to somehow happen despite Mecron.

Now I’m all hot and salty thinking about that whole release debacle.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

No game release will ever be funnier than SOTS2. "Oh, we uploaded the wrong version!" *uploads typo fix patch*

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
To this day SotS 2 never got space terrain. Modders have improved the AI a bit by having the AI ignore broken mechanics, though. But the game just isn't that fun compared to SotS 1.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I’ve never seen a dev team more hopelessly clueless than the Starbase team. Other than “to gently caress with people” there’s no reason for conflict to exist. There are no tools to either find or avoid conflict. The economy was hosed because it had a thousand inputs with no real “spends”. Most destroyed spaceships were lost not because of an exciting space battle but because you lightly bumped a rock and a single “load bearing” hose detached deep in your ship. The game was stupid in so many remarkable ways.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
your entire job as a game developer is to foil the

g r i e f e r
a g e n d a

lmao

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Rhymenoserous posted:

The game was stupid in so many remarkable ways.

But it was good in so many ways too. :rip: though.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
Anyone still playing this?

Keisari
May 24, 2011

No. And many people are bummed by it.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
gently caress it, I'm down to do a dive back in one of these evenings if anyone wants to tag along. Maybe something salvageable there.

They nerfed down PvP terribly but there was so much potential! I really enjoyed designing support and salvage ships to support goon piracy (both for and against)

Aertuun
Dec 18, 2012

Keisari posted:

No. And many people are bummed by it.

Unfortunately the main issue seems to be the person in charge is... not ideal? I don't want to be insulting.

I'm not quite sure how to solve that until the game either gets open-sourced and/or sold.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

It's extremely dead and will probably never be not-dead.

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
I really enjoyed the ship building and simple coding the game supported.

Kind of reminded me of the space mod for Gary's mod.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Aertuun posted:

Unfortunately the main issue seems to be the person in charge is... not ideal? I don't want to be insulting.

I'm not quite sure how to solve that until the game either gets open-sourced and/or sold.

Definitely, that is the reason. It's like if pvp was gutted from EVE Online. All those resources need a vortex of fun to be drawn into, even if not every player wants to pvp, it provides demand for resources that must be filled. And fun and action.

Too bad, I loved designing ships and coding in the game, I even had managed to design a semiautomatic asteroid miner that used tractor beam in a turret to "scan" for an asteroid and hook into it, and then it brought it in for mining. Once the roid was fully mined, the tractor turret continued to scan in a radar-like fashion (even if slow as hell). It was janky as gently caress but amazing to watch. Also super satisfying to have, as I am sure not many had that kind of tech in the game yet.

I really enjoyed designing and optimizing the ship for "ore per effort expended", while others of course optimized for ore per hour. I was just about to design a "trawler" version that had many tractor beam "hooks" that would extend out, so that the player would drive the trawler around roids until enough of them had rocks hooked, and it would then have processed them all automatically. So it would've taken me the occasional effort to scoop up some roids, but it would then happily munch on rocks for hours. Lmao, it was so amazing, I am bummed the game died before I got to it. I also remember spending countless of hours trying to learn trigonometry, as I wanted to be able to program secondary turrets that would aim where the player was aiming a turret, so that it would've acted as a force multiplier in combat. I'm sure the slow execution speed of YOLOL would've made them ineffective but it would've been fun.

:smith:

EDIT:

Not having that loving trawler is bothering me so much that sometimes I consider jumping into the dead-rear end servers just so I can finally have some closure. I want that loving roid trawler! It really shows imo that the game has potential and there is a niche for this type of game. I hope one day someone takes the plunge, and realizes that the intricate design isn't what ruined the game, it was the anti-pvp and lack of objectives/territories to fight over. (=content dried up)

Keisari fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 15, 2023

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

The CEO overpromised a lot and apparently micromanaged the development of most part of the game, which slowed everything down and most of his design ideas are bad. Even if they put people back on the project after Trine 5, it isn't going to change that problem. They also laid off a lot of the people who worked on the game originally so good luck trying to figure out what they left behind. Frozenbyte has a reputation for hiring lots of junior devs and paying them terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Keisari posted:

Not having that loving trawler is bothering me so much that sometimes I consider jumping into the dead-rear end servers just so I can finally have some closure. I want that loving roid trawler! It really shows imo that the game has potential and there is a niche for this type of game. I hope one day someone takes the plunge, and realizes that the intricate design isn't what ruined the game, it was the anti-pvp and lack of objectives/territories to fight over. (=content dried up)

:same:

I still want to finish the mk3 of the 'millenium falcon'-ish armed light freighter i designed, even if i never use it. I must've spent like 3 weeks in the ship designer.

I still can't believe they specifically chose to bail on their premade factions before EA launch. It sure woulda been nice to have friends in the black.