Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Season 1 debuted about 2 months after Mrs. Genesplicer and I were married. We watched it fairly faithfully for the first 10 seasons or so. Then gave up.

The only show we watched without fail was "Mystery Science Theater 3000". Practically a religious experience for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Jasus Christ posted:

I really don't want to look this up and find out it's real

I don't recall it actually being all that bad.*

Of course, when it comes to post-2001 Simpsons, YMMV big time on "not that bad." I quit watching for years and resumed a season or two ago and it wasn't painful so maybe the current writers and producers are a better batch than the ones from the 00s?

*the "actual quote from a modern Ivy League student!!!" caption was just as jarring as when they did it regarding some Justin Bieber gag in whatever legit-awful episode that one was.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i still sing the monorail song, op. have fun with that ep.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
I watched it abit but didnt really fancy it

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Budget Dracula posted:

Bad episodes start to trickle in around season 8, I'd quit after Behind the Laughter in season 11 OP.

:hmmyes:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

S14+ is when I can genuinely say I do not recall seeing a single one of the episodes.

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Season_14

I remember seeing the commercials for these episodes, like the Tony Hawk one, but nothing at all about these plotlines. I just know its the season where Marge gets the boob job and it has Tony Hawk and the Baha Men and thats from just passively reading the simpsons meme thread.
looking at those descriptions i can tell i bailed cleanly before that and its a good thing i did. being able to abandon your once-favorite thing when you see how bad its gotten is important *looks with pity at people into star wars 40 years after it was good*

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's dangerously close to anime, my advice is not to watch it.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i still sing the monorail song, op. have fun with that ep.

I call the big one Bitey

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

looking at those descriptions i can tell i bailed cleanly before that and its a good thing i did. being able to abandon your once-favorite thing when you see how bad its gotten is important *looks with pity at people into star wars 40 years after it was good*

One Sunday 8pm rolled around and I didn't sit down to watch the new Simpsons and I never did again.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

freakin sweet lois!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The_Franz posted:

Season 1 isn't horrible, but a lot of the episodes are depressing and it leans pretty heavily on the whole "we're the anti-Cosby show!" thing. Season 2 shouldn't completely be skipped though: Bart the Daredevil (the famous scene of Homer falling into the ravine), Itchy & Scratchy & Marge, The Way we Was, and Three Men and a Comic Book are all-time classics.

8 is where the cracks start to become really apparent, and season 9 is home to The Principal and the Pauper, which is basically the point at which all of the rules go out of the window and marks the end of classic Simpsons.

I don't really get why the "The Principal and the Pauper" episode gets so much hate; the plot is stupid, yeah, but it's still a funny episode and it pokes fun at itself. Personally, I've never really felt like the plots of the episodes caused the decline in quality (there were always "Simpsons meet a celebrity" and "Simpsons go to X" episodes). My issues with the quality of the episodes simply came down to the jokes. I remember an episode in season 12 or 13 where Bart keeps flushing the toilet to make the temperature change in Homer's shower and Homer keeps screaming in different octaves and it sounds like a song and I just went "ugh" and couldn't watch the rest of the episode. The show went from letting the viewer be smart enough to decipher a joke, to just dumb in-your-face "humor".

I remember seeing a good earlier-season episode where Homer is reading the bible and he says "talk about a preachy book. Everyone's a sinner. Except this guy". He points to somewhere in the book, but you don't see where. He's obviously pointing to Jesus. Them not showing you what he's pointing at is what makes it funny. If that joke were on a newer episode, it would have zoomed in on the page and showed the name "Jesus".

The other things that made the show so special were the little things you couldn't even put your finger on that just made sense. I always think of the Whacking Day episode, in the really short scene where the kids are singing "O Whacking Day" to the theme of "O Tannenbaum/O Christmas Tree" and how much I always die laughing when the kid with the high-pitched voice comes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef10KbypviU

(@ 10 seconds)

It's so brilliant because I thought for sure there was a version of "O Tannenbaum/O Christmas Tree" that it was specifically mimicking, with the high-pitched section and everything, and I searched on Youtube for an hour and couldn't find it. I thought it was maybe from Charlie Brown, but found nothing. That's what's so great about the Simpsons. A joke like that "makes sense", even though it's pulling that memory from seemingly nowhere. There's a ton of examples like this during the golden years of the show but it's the main one I could think of this early in the morning off the top of my head. (An angry bear holding a baking sheet of homemade candies while wearing a propeller beanie and roller skates in Springfield's Russian District sort of goes along with this as well.)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 7, 2020

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
What do you think they'll come up with for this year's traditional Homer Votes video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK_Ahtg5CxE

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The secret to watching The Simpsons is to avoid discussing it online at all because any mention of The Simpsons will inevitably be drowned out by people showing up to enter their third decade of endlessly relitigating the exact moment the show went from sublime to irredeemable and being utterly shocked and amazed that a long-running show that has had major changes in its writers and showrunners is different now than it was a lifetime ago.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

The secret to watching The Simpsons is to avoid discussing it online at all because any mention of The Simpsons will inevitably be drowned out by people showing up to enter their third decade of endlessly relitigating the exact moment the show went from sublime to irredeemable and being utterly shocked and amazed that a long-running show that has had major changes in its writers and showrunners is different now than it was a lifetime ago.

The cool thing about The Simpsons fans I think is that everyone pretty much everyone universally agrees it was at its peak seasons 3-7, was great 8-9, decent 10-11, and unwatchable 12 onward?

It's like, the one thing ever the entire collective internet agrees on I thought.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
honestly just don't watch the simpsons

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i havent watched the show in probably 10 years but there's a ton of phrases from the first 10 seasons that are part of my regular vocabulary

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
for example this caused me to say "yeah, but what are you gonna do?" whenever someone is pointing out im doing something stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlkw1FhyP8

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

for example this caused me to say "yeah, but what are you gonna do?" whenever someone is pointing out im doing something stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBlkw1FhyP8

yeah, but should you say that?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
the simpsons is one of those shows I know people like to watch and watch religiously but I just haven't been able to do that. I watched it a bit when I was a kid and we didn't have cable, Fox was one of the only stations we got. Maybe a little in college. It's a good, creative, show that's sometimes funny but maybe it gets a bit too much credit on occasion

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

yikes! posted:

yeah, but should you say that?

"should i" and "do i" never really have intersected in my life.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

cda posted:

I call the big one Bitey

greatest line in the history of television

best episode is the union one tho

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Quotey posted:

honestly just don't watch the simpsons

Yeah you gotta listen to it while falling asleep, like learning a new language, just implant it in the brain

feller
Jul 5, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

"should i" and "do i" never really have intersected in my life.

it was a setup! you were supposed to say the thing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Tom Gorman posted:

S14+ is when I can genuinely say I do not recall seeing a single one of the episodes.

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Season_14

I remember seeing the commercials for these episodes, like the Tony Hawk one, but nothing at all about these plotlines. I just know its the season where Marge gets the boob job and it has Tony Hawk and the Baha Men and thats from just passively reading the simpsons meme thread.

I think a good premise for a sitcom episode is for a show in its prime to have a one-off episode set 5-7 years in the future that envisions the bad, played-out version of the show. So it's like a game where the writers speculate how they (or their replacements) will become lazy and hacky in the near future.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
you gotta watch the one where bart uses voodoo to get his teacher pregnant and then fat tony forces bart to do the same thing to get his prize-winning horse to mate but the horse is gay.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

thanks alot assbag posted:

you gotta watch the one where bart uses voodoo to get his teacher pregnant and then fat tony forces bart to do the same thing to get his prize-winning horse to mate but the horse is gay.

These episode descriptions all sound incredible; I don't know how they always turns out to be so boring.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

1-2 is ok, 3-8 is the best, 9-11 is really funny, and seasons 9 to 11 have some good stuff here and there

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Maya Fey posted:

9-11 is really funny

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Maya Fey posted:

1-2 is ok, 3-8 is the best, 9-11 is really funny, and seasons 9 to 11 have some good stuff here and there

lmfao

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Well that video with the Benny Hill theme was pretty good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bart the Martyr
Jihad Homer

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Ad by Khad posted:

What do you think they'll come up with for this year's traditional Homer Votes video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK_Ahtg5CxE

This was real bad. gently caress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You Only Move Twice is the best episode

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

I think it's the Summer of 4'2" but that's a close second

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

PostNouveau posted:

i think about marge and the wine glass any time i find myself truly idle and bored

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I think it's the Summer of 4'2" but that's a close second
thats a fine episode but i wouldnt put it top 10
maybe homer at bat

i submit to you this post from the thread about this guy

Hell Stink posted:

Mattingly, I thought I told you to trim those sideburns!

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

seasons 3-8, some of 9

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
While we're all pinpointing the moment we stopped watching the show, for me it was the pie man episode. couldn't even finish it. turned off the tv when lisa found out homer was pie man and never intentionally put on a new episode of the simpsons again

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
episode 19 of season 15?
you were like that stranded japanese soldier still trying to fight world war 2 years after it had ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

That Season 12 has good episodes is my hill to die on.

Then 9/11 happened and ruined everything.

Every so often nu Simpsons will have a good moment and it's like watching a demented relative have a moment of lucidity:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e8_tiks1l1o