Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/TempoZP/status/1379509319322857472?s=19

ZP and Doa will be the night crew for APAC, this is the final caster duo to be announced as confirmed by a production staff on Twitter.

Bummed about Legday, Pixie and Lemonkiwi not getting a spot too. there is a lot of talent on Contenders and I would love to see them all make OWL someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Not a huge fan of DOA, but I’ve only really heard his casting for OWL. Curious how he’ll be with ZP. I did really like ZP+Jake.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm glad Doa is coming back and extra glad that Monte isn't coming back with him :toot: Doa and ZP should be a good duo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just straight up dropping soon right before the season starts is a pretty lovely thing to do tbh

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe he requested to be dropped so he has a chance at playing for one of the EU teams rather than not at all

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

considering he posted this yesterday with no context, I find that incredibly hard to believe. also find it hard to believe he'd get picked up for an owl team this late into the off season

https://twitter.com/SoOn99/status/1379157369674956801

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

How does it even work when the teams drop players like this? Do they have to pay out their full contracts? Or do they not have to pay them anything because the season hasn't started yet or something? It's a dick move either way but I hope Soon at least got paid for it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

CuwiKhons posted:

How does it even work when the teams drop players like this? Do they have to pay out their full contracts? Or do they not have to pay them anything because the season hasn't started yet or something? It's a dick move either way but I hope Soon at least got paid for it.

they don't have to pay them out as of this season's contracts, i think only 30 or 14 days or something? of course it depends on the individual contract but that's the minimum iirc. really sucks for soon though, no one's going to pick him up when he's stuck in france. paris & london are both staying in europe and just dealing with the ping to NA servers (which boston weren't willing to do with soon apparently) but paris refused to re-sign soon for unknown reasons already and i don't think london are going to sign a 4th hitscan/tracer player.

fusion are reportedly doing extremely badly in scrims (worse than valiant!) at the moment due to half their roster being stuck in europe, so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. everyone's kinda expecting they'll just promote some of their academy team to 2-ways for the time being to fill-in, as their academy team is back to being a powerhouse.

lih fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 7, 2021

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

did they change how 2way works? because if it's still limited to 2 games per season, that's a super short term solution that'd prob hurt them in the long run

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

• The Overwatch League team must continue to pay their two-way players’ salary and benefits while those players compete in Contenders. Players and teams may agree to a tiered salary structure, but players must earn at least the league’s minimum salary at all times.
  • Teams without academy team affiliates may agree to player loan agreements with a Contenders team. Player loan agreements must be submitted to the League Office for approval.
  • Any two-way player that does not play in five consecutive Overwatch League matches for their team over a minimum of three consecutive weeks will be eligible to participate in Contenders or other non-league Overwatch esports competitions licensed by Blizzard, subject to team approval.
  • Up to four two-way players may compete together on the same Contenders team roster in any given Contenders match. A Contenders team may field two-way players belonging to different Overwatch League teams.

from https://overwatchleague.com/en-us/news/roster-construction-rules-for-2021-overwatch-league-season

Hastr0 learned about the racist attacks against Fearless and the Dallas team at the same time as we did

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/SoOn99/status/1379802797974110211

SoOn posted:

“Unlucky,” as we say.

I was planning to take some time before speaking, but considering your reactions and worries, I wanted to at least say something.

I know that the announcement was brutal for you. It has been the same for me. It’s been several months since the process of obtaining my visa began, but it is not moving forward at all. It seems like the process will still take several months.

Unfortunately, Boston Uprising cannot wait any longer, and they decided to terminate my contract. It is their choice, and I absolutely do not question either the means or the effort implemented from the start to try and get things done.

Furthermore, I was told the reason that I couldn’t play from my home with ping is that a player for an NA-based team without his visa is forbidden to participate in an official OWL match.

I am really sad and disappointed to not be able to participate in the next OWL season. I was really looking forward to joining a promising new team for what should have normally been two more years, but the current situation has decided otherwise. This is life, and we must keep moving forward now.

About my future, it is too early to officially express myself on that matter. After the Paris Eternal episode, I had outlined the choices I might have to make regarding the rest of my career. I mentioned in particular, at the time, the fact that I did not want to play in Contenders if I could not find an OWL team, and that I would leave for Valorant. Today, I'm not so sure if that choice still holds.

I want to compete, and I feel totally capable of it. But I don't know if I would be able to wait until next year without any prospect of the future. Let's be honest, I'm 27 years old, and the chances to get back into OWL next year are pretty slim. Seniority and experience are not necessarily the most recognized characteristics in the OWL business model.
There’s also the possibility of pursuing my OW career as a full-time streamer, but I know that I will miss competing in the long run.
Finally, Valorant has also always been a viable option for me. It's a game that I like very much. It’s a risky choice, of course, but this is probably the best moment to switch if I want to start a new career elsewhere.

So now it's up to me to make the right choice, but above all, the choice that I like.

I received so many messages from you all. I cannot thank you enough for all the support you have given me since the start of my career in OW, or for the long-time supporters, since ShootMania. It's in this kind of situation that I realize how lucky I am to be followed by such a loving community. You are all an incredible source of motivation.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

SoOn

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/Fusion/status/1379847186582810626

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lmao.

We’ll stick with our roster during visa hell (unless we get hosed up in scrims).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/Fusion/status/1380212083682209793

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats about as good of a replacement you could hope for funnyastro.
Non-korean philly players should be sweating about their roster spots

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

hotba tracer is back babyyyyy awoooooo

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that early valiant win is looking a lot shakier right now

lih
May 15, 2013

kinda surprised they went with Hotba for off-tank considering he had problems with his playstyle clashing with Mano's on NYXL last year, especially when players like Meko and JJanu were still on the market. not a bad move though

Tobi is about the best main support that was on the market though, good move

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lih posted:

kinda surprised they went with Hotba for off-tank considering he had problems with his playstyle clashing with Mano's on NYXL last year, especially when players like Meko and JJanu were still on the market. not a bad move though

Tobi is about the best main support that was on the market though, good move

the qualifications were probably, are you in korea/are korean and do you have OWL experience? Probably a better pick than RJH's tank.
Would definitely take him over meko, and i dont think jjanu was on the market. He retired for military service?

lih
May 15, 2013

oh i had no idea JJanu was doing his military service

Meko has pre-existing synergy with Mano while Hotba didn't fit that well with him and Meko's s1/s2 peak was also higher than Hotba's, so not hard to choose. Hotba's still a good player though

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
almost anytime a young korean player "retires" is for military. Some of them come back but usually with a different player name and for a different game.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I dont know if jjanu retired for the military. The way i heard it he was super bummed about the titans implosion and didnt want to play with other players

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/UnterOW/status/1380622130413412353?s=19

I thought he'd just pay the guy again tbh :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Alright, time to make the new thread before I forget: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964699

I'll put up a graphic later tonight, a better topic subject is also welcome :v: