Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Did someone say Vladimir Poutine?

Also I love traditional poutine. It's a great comfort food. I think it's starting to gain traction in the US because I've seen it on more menus at restaurants nowdays. There's even a place in Cleveland called Banter that specializes in it. Forage Public House also has a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i need to punch
Aug 27, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pomme Frites in Greenwich Village in NYC makes awesome poutine. Thinking about that gravy right now... mhmmm....

DessertStorm
Aug 9, 2013

The Aardvark posted:

Every time I visit family in Canada gotta get a poutine. Can't find proper curds down here in SoCal.

Usually go to Smoke's.

Grew up near the Canadian border and was disgusted that Smoke's LA uses chicken gravy as their traditional poutine gravy. Beef/brown gravy is the poutine norm or it's a lovely flatlander imitation.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
i love chicken or turkey gravy. Anything but sausage gravy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

Heather Papps posted:

good point nevermind.

as far as alterations to the traditional recipe that are legitimate improvements, duck gravy poutine is the best i've ever had.

https://era67.com/
it looks like they added confit to the recipe and i am not sure i am down with it.

I had some duck gravy poutine at a fancy pub this past weekend and it was amazing.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I had some duck gravy poutine at a fancy pub this past weekend and it was amazing.
Mine in Quebec City had duck confit and a slice of foie gras on it.

Goddamn amazing.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Cheesus posted:

Mine in Quebec City had duck confit and a slice of foie gras on it.

Goddamn amazing.

Always been putting off a trip to Montreal as an adult, but now I'm wondering if I should put Quebec City ahead of it just for that alone.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
When I lived in Saskatchewan, I knew a guy from QC. His friends visited the strange flat land beyond the hated Onterrible, and generally had a good time but he took them to the local all-night drunkfood place in Saskatoon (Vangelli's) after a bit of a bar crawl and they had the poutine. Frozen skinny fries "cooked" in the microwave with lumps of low-quality cheddar (like the big cheap brick from Sobeys) and gravy from a packet of powder. The look of shock on their faces was priceless.

Years later, I lived in Quebec City for half a year (highly recommended, stay for longer if you can). That's where I discovered Smoke's, as one cheap and cheerful option amid an overwhelming bounty of choice. Fancy restaurants in the Ville, like those right in the deep tourist trap of the old City, serve half-decent poutine dressed up with pretention (never in short supply in QC) and a shocking price tag. The best value, of course, is from the trailer with horror-movie monsters airbrushed on the side, parked just outside the pay-to-enter area during Carnival. loving amazing.

I moved from QC to Sudbury, ON, and found Smoke's alive and well in that province. Always less after-meal regret than expected when I got the pulled pork poutine.

Heather Papps posted:

so the pulled pork poutine from smokes is maybe the best variant fight me
Yes. Right there next to you, friend.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Is Vancouver Canadian enough for good poutine? Or am I screwed in the PNW?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Avoid Smoke's for poutine in Vancouver. It's not that it's bad, but there's a bunch of local places within a few blocks of it that are better. I think Fritz European Fry House is the best, but there's a few other hole-in-the-wall places nearby that are also good. Dunn's Famous and Phat Deli are a little further away, but do pretty good smoked meat poutine.

Unfortunately though, all the good places are small enough that the corona shutdown might have closed a few of them.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've had Smokes, I've gone to every chip wagon in the city, I've even had the real stuff from a shack in the wood a half hour drive out of montreal, but I'll always have a soft spot for KFC poutine. I don't know what it is about it.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

i need to punch posted:

Pomme Frites in Greenwich Village in NYC makes awesome poutine. Thinking about that gravy right now... mhmmm....

When I worked at NYU I'd do the Pomme Frites poutine like twice a week, with raw onions, jalapeno and Tabasco, perfect winter lunch.

Then they had to go and get blown up by a neighbor's leaking gas pipe and I moved away before they rebuilt. Miss that poutine every day :negative:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I have grown up with cheese curds available in basically every grocery store here in upstate NY. Where in the US is it not available, other then California?

I had always assumed that if you had any local dairies at all, there would be cheese curds available as well?

Anyway, my favorite home made take on poutine is:

Heavily season a pork shoulder to taste, cook slow and low in the oven in a deep pan. I like a mild mix of dried/smoked chilis, garlic powder, salt, pepper, celery salt, and coffee grounds. Sometimes I stab that fucker full of holes like it owes me money, then I put whole cloves of garlic into the deep stab wounds. They mellow out a lot after a long cook time.

Heat oil and make twice fried french fries. Whatever shape you like. Fry, drain, then fry again until they have dark brown edges.

Drain the oven pork pan of drippins, then make gravy from that in a sauce pan.

After the gravy is nearly done, shred some of that fallin' apart pork hunk and put in the gravy. However much gravy:meat ratio you like.

Serve as fries -> cheese curds (cold out the fridge) -> gravy with meat pieces

It is a big fuckin' mess (the namesake of poutine), but no more mess than any other meal where you roast a meat and make gravy and french fries.

I think it's worth the effort and clean up.

Except for disposing of the frying oil. God what a barbaric home cooking practice. Just go get poutine somewhere.

I've tried it with several cuts of beef and I like it better this way with pork when made at home. From a shop, brown/beef gravy is king.

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 27, 2020

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I have grown up with cheese curds available in basically every grocery store here in upstate NY. Where in the US is it not available, other then California?

I had always assumed that if you had any local dairies at all, there would be cheese curds available as well?

upstate and Wisconsin are the only places they ARE available

I don't know why because they're glorious. I'm gonna eat one out of my fridge rn in fact

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
I like the butter chicken poutine from NY Fries. It's not really poutine, but it's good.

NY Fries is otherwise an unholy fast food chain. $10+ bucks for a roller hotdog + fries + drink? Get the gently caress outta here.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Flocons de Jambon posted:

I like the butter chicken poutine from NY Fries. It's not really poutine, but it's good.

NY Fries is otherwise an unholy fast food chain. $10+ bucks for a roller hotdog + fries + drink? Get the gently caress outta here.

I love NYF's regular poutine honestly. Part of it might be because it was kind of a tradition my grandpa and I had when I was young.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://notpoutine.fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

The ones that use shredded cheese in place of proper curds just look so sad.