Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
So yesterday the Razzies were cancelled because of the corona virus and that is sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cats is very normal compared to Starlight Express.

The Germans are such a deranged people there's a theatre specifically built for it.

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
This just in: despite the Razzies ceremony cancelled, there will be a video announcing the winners of the 40th Razzies Awards on YouTube. I will keep you posted.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The blame for Cats rests entirely with Tom Hooper. Everyone else is doing their absolute best (well, James Cordon and Rebel Wilson are doing what's asked of them, at least).

Pirate Jet posted:

I haven’t seen any Tyler Perry movies so I can’t speak to their quality but I seriously doubt any of them are bad enough to wind up on a worst of the year lost alongside, like, Cats.

Cats never gave a female character HIV as retribution for not knowing her place.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

sethsez posted:

Cats never gave a female character HIV as retribution for not knowing her place.

... there was a Tyler Perry movie that gave a female character HIV?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Izzhov posted:

I once spent an entire afternoon doing research to try to figure out why the hell anybody ever liked the original musical. While my bewilderment was never 100% cleared up, after a few hours I eventually found a forum post containing probably the best answer I'm ever going to get on the matter:

Interesting. I have musical theatre friends (some in the audience, some on stage) and it's always interesting what they will slate or praise. For example, several of them are really unimpressed with Les Miz, saying that it works on stage and only on stage because of the impressive sets & staging and energy of the cast. Which might explain why the film was so limp.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The film had the right idea about how to translate Cats to the cinema: get loving deranged about it, with an all-star cast and zero self-awareness.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

DoubleCakes posted:

... there was a Tyler Perry movie that gave a female character HIV?

Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor

FriedMyBrain
Dec 31, 2019

by Cyrano4747
The winners of the 40th Razzies Awards are here!!!

WORST PICTURE
Cats

WORST ACTOR
John Travolta / The Fanatic & Trading Paint

WORST ACTRESS
Hilary Duff / The Haunting of Sharon Tate

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Rebel Wilson / Cats

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
James Corden / Cats

WORST SCREEN COMBO
Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs / Cats

WORST SCREENPLAY
Cats / Screenplay by Lee Hall and Tom Hooper

WORST DIRECTOR
Tom Hooper / Cats

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
Rambo: Last Blood

WORST RECKLESS DISREGARD for HUMAN LIFE and PUBLIC PROPERTY

RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD
Eddie Murphy / Dolemite Is My Name

FriedMyBrain fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 16, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sethsez posted:

The blame for Cats rests entirely with Tom Hooper. Everyone else is doing their absolute best (well, James Cordon and Rebel Wilson are doing what's asked of them, at least).

Everything from the unfinished and horrifying special effects to the lovely changes to the actual musical is entirely on Hooper and he is one of the most deserving Razzie winners ever.

I can't really hate on Hellboy because anyone who goes to see a Milla Jovovich movie in 2019 gets what they pay for, but none the less it is a gigantically unfocused piece of poo poo.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

FriedMyBrain posted:

RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD
Keanu Reeves / John Wick 3 & Toy Story 4
Adam Sandler / Uncut Gems
Jennifer Lopez / Hustlers
Will Smith / Aladdin

Why did I only just now notice this and who at Disney is paying off the Razzies?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TrixRabbi posted:

Why did I only just now notice this and who at Disney is paying off the Razzies?

From what I gather it's the first thing in a while where Will Smith is probably the best thing onscreen. Albeit probably only relatively.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From what I gather it's the first thing in a while where Will Smith is probably the best thing onscreen. Albeit probably only relatively.

What about Gemini Man? Surprised they didn't choose Robert Pattinson for High Life and The Lighthouse (lol the Razzie voters don't actually watch movies).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

FriedMyBrain posted:

The winners of the 40th Razzies Awards are here!!!

WORST PICTURE
Cats

WORST ACTOR
John Travolta / The Fanatic & Trading Paint

WORST ACTRESS
Hilary Duff / The Haunting of Sharon Tate

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Rebel Wilson / Cats

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
James Corden / Cats

WORST SCREEN COMBO
Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs / Cats

WORST SCREENPLAY
Cats / Screenplay by Lee Hall and Tom Hooper

WORST DIRECTOR
Tom Hooper / Cats

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL

WORST RECKLESS DISREGARD for HUMAN LIFE and PUBLIC PROPERTY

RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD

Feels weird to give "Worst Screenplay" to something mostly written by TS Eliot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nonathlon posted:

Interesting. I have musical theatre friends (some in the audience, some on stage) and it's always interesting what they will slate or praise. For example, several of them are really unimpressed with Les Miz, saying that it works on stage and only on stage because of the impressive sets & staging and energy of the cast. Which might explain why the film was so limp.

The thing is, they actually did build some very large-scale sets for the Les Mis movie. The production design was impeccable. Unfortunately, we didn't get to see any of it because Hooper decided we need to see every individual pore on every actor's face.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

TrixRabbi posted:

Keanu is one of those actors, like Nicolas Cage or Shelley Duvall, who don't adhere to standards of naturalism. They're offbeat and make unexpected decisions but carry a powerful charisma about them that gives them starpower. When directors don't know how to use them, they stick out and clash with the film. But when directors know what they're doing, they shine brilliantly in ways only they can.

So with Keanu, he appears wooden and like he "can't act" in certain films. But he's perfect in The Matrix. He's perfect in a film like A Scanner Darkly. And he does have way more range than he gets credit for, it's just that range is on a different wavelength than what we've been conditioned to think of as "good" acting.

OutlawVern once spoke of how people criticizing Nic Cage for "over-acting" were missing the point: it implied that Cage was going for a certain target and overshot it. But he clearly was never aiming for that target in the first place, and so Vern coined the term MegaActing to describe it. Cage wasn't outside of the box, he was outside of the whole framework.

I think a case could be made that Keanu Reeves is mega-acting a lot, even if the result is not so "mega" in that Cage-ian sense.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 20, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like you don't have often extremely popular actors who do something very different from what's considered conventional 'good' acting. Arnold Schwarzenegger and all.

A lot of it is basically casting, when you cast Nicholas Cage and Keanu Reeves you should know what you're getting and put them in a film that works for it. Like any filmmaking tool you have to use them properly.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Schwarzenegger did get criticized a lot as a bad actor but he also largely got a pass because he was never doing many serious dramas. He was an action star and later served as a self-aware oddity in family comedies.

I mean, all of these actor are huge for a reason. Whether audiences consciously recognize it or not, they're drawn to Keanu and Cage and Schwarzenegger for their weirdness even when they challenge their traditional concepts of acting. Usually it's only when these actors start appearing in bad films that they get called out for it. Cage suddenly got criticized a lot more, it seems, in the 2000s when he started appearing in increasingly poor films and became a meme in the internet era when people picked up on films like Vampire's Kiss and Bad Lieutenant, because those are films that actually rise to Cage's performance in how unusual and out-of-sync they are with mainstream sensibilities.

Fact is, most audiences believe Good Acting to be the exact kind of performances the Oscars reward. But many of those same people nevertheless find themselves drawn to Keanu and Cage even if they don't fully understand their methods, or rationalize it as So Bad It's Good.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Same with Tom Cruise. When he's in a Tom Cruise movie, he's really enjoyable. He's perfect at playing arrogant but likable. Put him in something off-genre with an accent and he's downright horrible. Although after his cameo in Tropic Thunder I really want to see him do some comedy. I'm thinking the funnier parts of Edge of Tomorrow are all we'll get from him in that regard though. His girly scream as he got squished by the big truck was very unexpected. Like if the Coen brothers could find the right role for him I think he could be funny and still win an oscar. He could be amazing playing against type as a Jerry Lundegaard. Same with Keanu.

The best though is when Adam Sandler fans watch something like Uncut Gems or Punch Drunk Love. It breaks their brains. But he can be sooo good out of his element when he finds the right role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Cuise is a very intense actor. He doesn't take it to nearly the same extremes that Nic Cage does but they've actually got a little bit of the same vibe -- when Cruise has outbursts they can feel just as sporadic and volatile, though they tend to be briefer. Cruise also has that preternatural charisma that makes him a natural movie star, and he's usually careful to choose more conventional roles.

But look at the times where he's gone out on limbs. His performance in Magnolia is certainly excellent but also in line with conventional ideas of Good Acting (not a dig at the naturalist style, just that it's what mainstream audiences qualify as good). But that same year you have Eyes Wide Shut, a performance that on its surface is much more stilted but is deliberately dreamlike, confused, and even expressionist at times (think of when he finds the mask on his pillow and the slow realization of horror that creeps across his face). A role like Len Grossman in Tropic Thunder is funny, and really his him at his most outrageous but shows off that explosive energy he has -- then again Lestat in Interview with the Vampire has some of those elements as well or Born on the Fourth of July (think the scene where he starts screaming "penis!").

If you want him as more of a Jerry Lundegaard type he has done something akin to that recently, with both Edge of Tomorrow and American Made (though in different manifestations). War of the Worlds too, where he plays a blue collar dad frantically surviving the alien invasion by pure luck and circumstance. And then you have the exact opposite in Collateral as a dead-eyed killer, a far less human character than Lestat yet also hysterical at times. Or for that matter his more erratic psychopath in Taps.

If anything, his most boring performances are in the Mission: Impossible films. The stunts are spectacular, and show him stretching himself physically, but the character of Ethan Hunt has always been poorly defined and generally comes across as cold and bland. Never really fleshed out into anyone real, except as a plot point to get from stunt to stunt. Like the worst Tom Cruise performances are all the ones where his character is bland, or he has to subdue himself: Valkyrie, Losin' It, Jack Reacher. Movies where he either falls blandly into a role or just rests on his laurels.

I have a lot of thoughts on Tom Cruise.