Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wide stance posted:

I'd think travelling while working remote would be prohibitive due to the lovely wi-fi everywhere and time zone differences.

ime the timezone doesn't matter as long as I can make the one meeting on my calendar and I can go full days without pushing a branch so wifi doesn't matter that much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

wide stance posted:

I'd think travelling while working remote would be prohibitive due to the lovely wi-fi everywhere and time zone differences.

I do this, you can't just treat it like a holiday (it isn't!) and have to plan around the fact that you need somewhere good to work. I tend to stay 1-2 months in a place and almost always go to a coworking space 4 days out of 5. This works out great as you get to pick you appartment so that it has a nice walk to the coworking space, and ime good coworking spaces are just as pleasant as top tier offices, mainly because you have to choose to go there. I also tend to stay within 1-2 hours of my teams office hours, but that isn't too hard a burden as we're in Europe so that's still plenty of cool places.

For example, today I'm going to have a quick sandwich for lunch with my partner and then we're going to go for a half hour walk on the beach.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

does your partner also work remotely?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bloody posted:

does your partner also work remotely?

yes we are card carrying millennials

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’m working from home this week because I don’t want the plague. I’ve already cannibalized my desktop for input devices. this morning’s plan is to acquire a monitor because working on a laptop sucks.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
my personal plague is hearing my coworkers hot takes on the chinese flu.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
I do my best work at around 4am OP

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

a neurotic ai posted:

I do my best work at around 4am OP

same. ask your mom for confirmation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

my personal plague is hearing my coworkers hot takes on the chinese flu.

gently caress me

working in a pharmacy must be the worst. when they shut down those places in italy, you know what was the only retail left?

this might inject necessary funds into the otherwise dying pharmacy tho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
im working remotely because public transit had an aneurysm this morning

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im at the office

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

theadder posted:

im at the office

:cripes:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
this isn’t a difficult concept here!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im not seeing a requirement to work remotely in this a bloody thread op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
working remotely or remotely working ???

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

The Management posted:

same. ask your mom for confirmation

She’s a pile of ash. I asked her anyway but she seemed urnsure.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Apparently I’m going to be working from home for the next three weeks. I usually run out of motivation after two days out of the office so this is going to be interesting.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Remote work is great but I have daily/weekly chitchat with other wfh people and go to local meetups and have coffee/happy hour with locals. I also live with :allears:my wife:allears: and travel like once a month so shes not sick of me. It rocks. gently caress offices.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

working remotely or remotely working ???

lmbo

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

tk posted:

Apparently I’m going to be working from home for the next three weeks. I usually run out of motivation after two days out of the office so this is going to be interesting.

this is only because your work is fundamentally not motivating and you only do it out of habit and peer pressure otherwise

be your true self from home

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

also:

- just get a god drat routine with strict schedule: get dressed before work, have meals and breaks at fixed time periods, and keep at it
- take time to report the things you are doing to coworkers; overcommunication is the name of the game when remote
- get a distraction-free environment for things (and block some URLs where you'd lose too much time if you can) if you can't keep yourself from watching tv or playing videogames
- make use of the benefits: you control temperature, got your own fridge and kitchen, have no commute, can listen to whatever music out loud, etc.
- you also control the lighting and may have the ability to open windows, so do some additional environmental control because you just can and you should as well

The thing you can't help easily is getting good audio equipment (a solid wireless headset that doesn't tie you to your computer) and good home office equipment (a good chair or a sit/stand desk with a decent monitor), but they also make a huge difference in terms of not being dead after 2 hours of work.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’ve been working from home this week and I’ve gotten approximately jack poo poo done. on the other hand I do get to call in to the 4 hour meeting I have today so I’ll be eating snacks and playing with my dog while those other guys are trapped in a room with increasing CO2 levels

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
what in the hell are y’all trying to accomplish with a half day long meeting

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
nothing, I know, but seriously

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
microsoft sent a thing to all tenant admins promoting the use of teams + office 365 as work from home tools during the virus outbreak.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

nothing, I know, but seriously

lol. identify the fundamental problems of why our software performance is complete poo poo.

here’s the summary:

high up ivory tower architects designed a pure architecture, unsullied by real world considerations.

when we told them this doesn’t work for us because we actually need to do things, they hand-waved away any problems and we were stuck trying to make it work.

it didn’t work.

series of big meetings where architects, without admitting any fault, eventually roll back their stupid design to something functional which was what we asked for in the first place.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
literally petting a dogge right now while in a meeting

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I take morning meetings from home and whenever the cat strays near the camera I just zoom it on him and keep talking

People who've never been to my house start conversations with me about my cat now

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

one of my coworkers had his very young daughter frequently waltz in during meetings, and he’d take the time to introduce her as she liked just sitting and watching people talk.

after a while she’d hear the hangouts sound, pop in and just go “is this James???” in that small voice because that was her favorite coworker of his and she liked to watch em.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

working from home means my dog sits on my feet and growls at car horns so its like a foot massage and sometimes i show him in the team chat room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my (~5kg) dog will sit in my lap throughout the day and occasionally get up to lick my nose during meetings