Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've never played A Link to the Past. I had a Genesis instead of a SNES. I've played 1 and 2 on the NES, Link's Awakening, the Oracle games and Link Between Worlds. But never Link to the Past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hunter Noventa posted:

I've never played A Link to the Past. I had a Genesis instead of a SNES. I've played 1 and 2 on the NES, Link's Awakening, the Oracle games and Link Between Worlds. But never Link to the Past.

it totally holds up today and is worth your time

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I've never really played any Final Fantasy game - unless you count that first part at the start of FF7.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Honestly, the Midgard stuff was the best the final fantasy series ever got. Square made the right call just remaking that part and calling it quits

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

I've never really played any Final Fantasy game - unless you count that first part at the start of FF7.

Now that I think about it, I haven't finished any FF either except 15 which was different and the first part of 6,7,10 and 12 they all get boring, chrono trigger was fine to play through.
edit "the first bit" of a FF usually runs 10 hours though so I played a bunch in the end.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 26, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The rereleases of the FF games as of late have no encounter and cheats built in which, frankly, makes them a lot more playable if you'd like to try them.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Flannelette posted:

Now that I think about it, I haven't finished any FF either except 15 which was different and the first part of 6,7,10 and 12 they all get boring, chrono trigger was fine to play through.
edit "the first bit" of a FF usually runs 10 hours though so I played a bunch in the end.

I played a ton of 6 and 7 on original hardware way along time ago. The only way I'd play either of them now is if there was a cool hack for QoL changes.

Also grinded the sword of kings Earthbound, it took i think an entire night of fighting Starmans. I guess those were the boring old days

Barudak posted:

The rereleases of the FF games as of late have no encounter and cheats built in which, frankly, makes them a lot more playable if you'd like to try them.

just noticed this. Nice. Must have original graphics and Woosley translation. 'He'd slit his own momma's throat for a nickle,' or else.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 31, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think they're based off the GBA one, but every emulator has game genie functionality.

In the complete other direction, using the textless ROM and one of the flags in the randomizer, you can get a version of 6 that has no dialogue or cutscenes.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Never touched a Final Fantasy other than 1 on the NES for a couple hours, the PC port of FFVII for...an hour? And FFX for, again, a couple hours, and a decent amount of time on Crystal Chronicles cause we all actually had GBAs, but maybe only got like halfway through?

FFX came out when I was in college and I watched my roommates play it a lot (we had a "game room" with lots of TVs and systems, so I'd be playing, say, Metroid Prime or whatever when they were playing that.) I only ever saw them do one of four things:
1) That water polo game*
2) Dodging lighting**
3) Racing a big chicken***
4) Fight an angry whale on a boat

* I know it's called Blitzball, but we all loving know it's just underwater water polo.
** I know this is for someones "ultimate weapon, but they spend HOURS and HOURS doing iit.
*** I know they chokobos, technically, but again, they're clearly big chickens...and I think this was for a different characters ultimate?

Also, included in the "never really played FF" camp is essentially never playing any JRPG other than Chrono Trigger.

Never got into Dragon Quest, the Persona series, Golden Sun, etc...

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also, included in the "never really played FF" camp is essentially never playing any JRPG other than Chrono Trigger.

That's fine, you played the only good one

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Never touched a Final Fantasy other than 1 on the NES for a couple hours, the PC port of FFVII for...an hour? And FFX for, again, a couple hours, and a decent amount of time on Crystal Chronicles cause we all actually had GBAs, but maybe only got like halfway through?

FFX came out when I was in college and I watched my roommates play it a lot (we had a "game room" with lots of TVs and systems, so I'd be playing, say, Metroid Prime or whatever when they were playing that.) I only ever saw them do one of four things:
1) That water polo game*
2) Dodging lighting**
3) Racing a big chicken***
4) Fight an angry whale on a boat

* I know it's called Blitzball, but we all loving know it's just underwater water polo.
** I know this is for someones "ultimate weapon, but they spend HOURS and HOURS doing iit.
*** I know they chokobos, technically, but again, they're clearly big chickens...and I think this was for a different characters ultimate?

In case you didn't know, that giant whale thing is named Sin and is Tidus(your character)'s dad. What a strange game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFX is a real good game and the rerelease lets you cheat for everything and turn off random battles. That said, no reason you ever need to play it if you don't like the genre.

Like you can't convince me to play Red Alert games or Starcraft 2 or whatever because I don't like RTS games and never will.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

excellent bird guy posted:

Also grinded the sword of kings Earthbound, it took i think an entire night of fighting Starmans. I guess those were the boring old days

I did this the last time I played through Earthbound. There's several "ultimate weapon through grinding" in the game, and I swear the message the game wants to send is "don't do this" as the boost in levels you get makes the rest of the game substantially easier.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

...! posted:

I don't know where you're getting that from. Midgar is destroyed but the game is pretty clear that humans survive.

it's very blatantly hinted at from pretty much the second you meet bugenhagen that humanity will soon perish, like the game is not even remotely subtle about this. you don't need to read very far into it at all to conclude that the original intent of the post-credits scene was showing that humanity did, in fact, get wiped the gently caress out, terrible expanded universe bullshit aside.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Just beaten System Shock 1 for the first time, I've had this in my backlog for literal decades, now I've discovered that the GOG version had its Dosbox configured way better for this game than I had and I could finally run it hi-res without problems. Feels good man.

And a worthy game it is. Kinda like a futuristic Ultima Underworld which I loved (and IIRC some major devs worked on both titles), has its wrinkles but also a surprising amount of stuff that was not only groundbreaking in the time of its release but holds quite well even now. Gotta appreciate the small things in a world of so many games with hosed up interfaces (yes SS2, I'm looking at your config options too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Nebakenezzer posted:

I did this the last time I played through Earthbound. There's several "ultimate weapon through grinding" in the game, and I swear the message the game wants to send is "don't do this" as the boost in levels you get makes the rest of the game substantially easier.

I played the EB Deluxe hardmode style romhack up through the Desert. The challenge of very hard Boss fights makes EB a lot more exciting. It's actually kind of rewarding to die over and over and finally beat Master Belch, or whoever.

Classic games I never played: Anything Fallout