Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How to set the clock
some arcane command line poo poo
you just cant
your holding it wrong
put linux in the trash
View Results

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

what idiot sets their clock manually via date

a: a large number of the senior devops engineers i support who apparently had never heard of ntpd or why you would use it

i use chrony op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just get a leontp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmpiJeNffuU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
if I may channel usenet

RTFM

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide#Update_the_system_clock

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's a trick question. there's no need to set the clock because if you're using linux your time is worthless

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

infernal machines posted:

it's a trick question. there's no need to set the clock because if you're using linux your time is worthless

But what if the time in linux is finite? Wouldn't that mean that it is worthy? Linux worthy? Like Mjolnir but with Linux.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a nice thing i can say for linux is that i have at no point past like year 2000 have i had reason to learn how ntp is set up. this is also true of windows granted, but i am pleased either way, i have no expectation of anything just working for decades.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think OP was trying to set their timezone not fix the underlying unix time representation of UTC you CLOWNS you IDIOTS!!!!

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Salt Fish posted:

I think OP was trying to set their timezone not fix the underlying unix time representation of UTC you CLOWNS you IDIOTS!!!!

Why whould you call me idiot :(

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
time has no zone, time zones are artificial constructs. open your mind, quaid.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you are educated stupid

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what kind of rear end in a top hat uses arch and isn't on epoch time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
might have some time to play with this dumb toy OS for chjilde soon hmm hmh