Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Any French speakers in here wanna verify: does Heloise talk to Marianne using formal language for most of the film and switches to informal at the end? If so at which point does this happen

I kept an ear out for this when I saw the film back in October, and I’m not sure there is a switch. I can guarantee that even when they have sex after getting high, Heloise says “vos yeux” (your eyes) using the formal second-person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Saw this last night, incredible movie. I’d thought that the second-to-last was an excellent ending, and was a bit disappointed when it started up again, but then wow, what a perfect way to close.
About the language: I heard an interview with Sciamma where she said there were two moments when they switched to informal, but didn’t say where they were!
Also language related, but I thought it was a really cool bit when the Countess realized that Marianne spoke Italian and switched for the rest of the conversation—it really helped in fleshing her out as a character, I thought.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Yeah, the countess was married away to a French dude and now that he died she’s bored in France and wants to go back to Italy so she’s using the patriarchy (the fact that she can force her daughter to marry an Italian dude so they can both move back to Italy) for her own benefit

In other news:

It should be pointed out that Marianne is bisexual. She’s been pregnant before by a man she loved, as she told Sofie, the maid.

Marianne has found a way to survive in society. As a bisexual she can pretend to be heterosexual, and as a middle class person she has less societal pressure to get married to a guy. She’s able to get by with a job as a painter because her dad supports her and let’s her use his name for business (BTW probably the most supportive man in the whole story despite never showing up)

So when they read Ovid’s Orpheus and Eurydice:

Sofie takes the most basic interpretation, where she gets upset at Orpheus for being impatient (this is a long shot but this might also be informed by her being made pregnant by some impatient boy whose baby she doesn’t want)

Marianne changes the subtext of the tale. She suggests that Orpheus had a different motivation for his action, that he wanted the memory of Eurydice more than Eurydice herself. Because Marianne has found a way to survive in 1760’s France, her desire to change reality is less than Heloise’s:

Heloise outright wants to change the text of the myth into one where the woman has agency. Heloise is the most wronged by society, so she has the most motivation to change reality.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 27, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is tourner autour formal

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Steve Yun posted:

Is tourner autour formal

I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking here. “Tourner autour” literally means “to revolve around” — it’s not formal because it’s not conjugated at all. Do you mean “retourne-toi”? That’s an informal command.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo I misheard Heloise’s last line then

Edit: :qq: this loving movie

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 27, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/monaeltahawy/status/1233753611101974530?s=21

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

In the original myth, Orpheus has the goal of getting above ground with Eurydice to look forward to.

Heloise and Marianne have no such potential happy ending because of The Patriarchy. Either Heloise is given away in marriage or Heloise lives in a perpetual state of refusing suitors in which case Marianne has no reason to be there. If Heloise accepts being given away to the Milanese Man, she has an excuse for Marianne to be around and they can enjoy true love for five days. So it’s as if Orpheus knew he had no potential happy ending to look forward to, and as if Eurydice also knew it and called out “turn around” so that they could stare at each other one last time knowing that she’d be taken away.

In the original myth, it’s a moment of weakness. In this film, it’s a deliberate act.
Love this! And all the other layers that can be peeled back.

The cinematography reminded me of Bergman. Like this scene from Persona.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How are the rest of Sciamma’s movies? I see Girlhood is on bluray

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
This was a really good movie in every respect. I loved the zooms during the painting sections and other scenes. Erotic armpit drugging!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Steve Yun posted:

How are the rest of Sciamma’s movies? I see Girlhood is on bluray

Water Lilies should still be available to stream on Criterion Channel. I thought it was pretty decent.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I just saw this, the final scene absolutely ruined me. Amazing.

I was very dumb and got up to go pee during the bonfire scene and completely missed everything between that and the first kiss. Oops!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Strong username post combo

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Definitely one of the prettiest movies I have seen in a long time.

The onscreen chemistry between the ladies was incredible!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was pretty good. Wasn't blown away but I wasn't blown away by parasite either. So I guess my brain is just broken.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
A) Are you in lockdown

B) Do you like lesbians

C) Do you have Hulu

D) Do you want to watch the greatest romantic film ever made

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Unique little gem I'm glad I saw on the big screen in the days theaters were a thing. The before times.

A, uh... shocking amount of hair tho.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Really enjoyed this. The end destroyed me. It was nice to see a lesbian romance that doesn't get all male gazey.

Very much looking forward to the prequel, "Portrait of a Lady Standing Dangerously Close to a Flame."

Old school Photoshop Phriday represent!

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Really wonderful movie. The stuff with Sophie and her pregnancy was surprisingly compelling and added a nice group dimension to the interactions. The art gallery scene was poignant and sweet and the actual finale was a masterclass. I loved how sparse the use of music was, and how expression driven the interactions between the two leads were. I think as time goes on this might end up being my favourite film of 2019.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Bought and watched Girlhood. It’s a good slice of life peek into someone’s life movie but not nearly the tour de force that Portrait is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Finally watched this last night and still mulling over it in my head. It just struck a chord with me in a way I wasn't expecting. Yes, this is a film about love between two women, but it's transcendent in a way that I believe anyone can connect with the way it presents memory and love. But that is what makes it special, as it's using every trick in the book used by male filmmakers in terms of the gaze and Sciamma makes it her own. Just the way that so much of the film is shot in a way that we're seeing through the perspectives of Marianne and Heloise. And this has some of the most beautiful photography I've seen in a film, just with the use of color, framing, etc. There's a shot of Heloise with embers from a fire over her face.

I'm going to have to watch this again soon, but I feel safe in saying this is one of the greatest cinematic works I've ever seen. It's been a while since I've seen a film that just shook me to my core like Portrait did. And that final shot - yeah, no dry eyes here.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah public service announcement the bluray and dvd are out

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

Steve Yun posted:

Oh yeah public service announcement the bluray and dvd are out

Can confirm this looks incredible on a 4K OLED

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I never saw the poster for this until recently and it's drat good. Movie is amazing to of course

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

I never saw the poster for this until recently and it's drat good. Movie is amazing to of course
Wow where can I buy this

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Wow there's a lot going on in such a simple poster

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jenny Agutter posted:

Oh now I get it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oh my god, what a movie! I love the final shot, which is something that could go really awry but all the information has been given to us and it arrives at just the right time for us to be able to go along with her on her emotional journey as she listens to the music, and instead of being wan and ambiguous it's thrilling and powerful. I love the way it connects to the faltering harpsichord-playing in the first part of the movie, which is such a sweet moment on its own. But then you have her hearing the orchestra playing it, and much like love, music is something that you have and you experience at the same time as you can never really "have" it - it passes through you, at best. What they actually had together was like the harpsichord - small and incomplete - but nonetheless still representative of the love they could have had, the fully orchestrated performance. The music at the end is like a picture of the life they could have had, but also an affirmation of how powerful what they did have was.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but that was the little epiphany journey I went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh my god, what a movie! I love the final shot, which is something that could go really awry but all the information has been given to us and it arrives at just the right time for us to be able to go along with her on her emotional journey as she listens to the music, and instead of being wan and ambiguous it's thrilling and powerful. I love the way it connects to the faltering harpsichord-playing in the first part of the movie, which is such a sweet moment on its own. But then you have her hearing the orchestra playing it, and much like love, music is something that you have and you experience at the same time as you can never really "have" it - it passes through you, at best. What they actually had together was like the harpsichord - small and incomplete - but nonetheless still representative of the love they could have had, the fully orchestrated performance. The music at the end is like a picture of the life they could have had, but also an affirmation of how powerful what they did have was.

I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but that was the little epiphany journey I went on.

Nope, you nailed it. It's an unforgettable sequence.