Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This reminds me to pick my mantra practice back up! That's the real advantage of pressing your mind with habit like a big chunk of gray bloody tofu: if it's a habit you won't forget to do it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Outpost22 posted:

Today I was fooling around with the dragons tooth sword in Maggie Chow's apartment and accidentally busted up one of the Buddha statues, am I gonna be cursed now?

Re-posting this from the Deus Ex thread in games.

I sincerely want to know if destroying a Buddha statue in the game will have dire consequences. :(

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

I sincerely want to know if destroying a Buddha statue in the game will have dire consequences. :(

You're fine. Just make sure if you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Cool thanks, I wasn't sure how something like that would be reacted to by Buddha. Would they even know what video games are?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I sure hope so otherwise idk what we would talk about

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

true fact about buddhism: guru rinpoche is really good at euro truck simulator 2. an absolute legend

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Outpost22 posted:

Cool thanks, I wasn't sure how something like that would be reacted to by Buddha. Would they even know what video games are?
A Buddha could not have truly limitless compassion unless they will work also to liberate those bound by the karma of blasting ropes to Waluigi hentai.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Achmed Jones posted:

true fact about buddhism: guru rinpoche is really good at euro truck simulator 2. an absolute legend

Nessus posted:

A Buddha could not have truly limitless compassion unless they will work also to liberate those bound by the karma of blasting ropes to Waluigi hentai.
Good true facts both.

It is a sad but inevitable truth that liberation does mean giving up such attachments as hentai, but compassion and wisdom will see us through.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Outpost22 posted:

Genuine answer:

A Buddha statue possesses no intrinsic value or worth. Buddha statues are methods to remind Buddhist practitioners of the teaching of the Buddha and to demonstrate respect and reverence for the Buddha and his teachings.

Destroying a Buddha statue intentionally is bad karma as it demonstrates disrespect for the Buddha and his teachings, the actual act itself though is not the cause of the bad karma but the motivation and intention behind it.

Destroying a virtual Buddha statue accidentally demonstrates no disrespect for the Buddha and is therefore karmically meaningless. Destroying a virtual Buddha statue intentionally however would demonstrate disrespect and most likely generate bad karma. How much would depend on whether or not it was streamed as streaming could encourage others to imitate the act or spread disrespectful ideas about Buddhism.

Destroying the Buddha statue accidentally however in addition to being karmically neutral has the potential of being turned into a blessing if you take the opportunity to remind yourself of the reasoning behind the statue (to remind people of the teachings) and that the statues destruction demonstrates a core teaching (all things are impermanent)

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Let’s say I get a whole bunch of mantras tattooed around my leg. If I start spinning in a clockwise circle would that make me a living prayer wheel?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Let’s say I get a whole bunch of mantras tattooed around my leg. If I start spinning in a clockwise circle would that make me a living prayer wheel?

Only one way to find out right

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

idk that gives you a lot of obligations not to get your leg dirty and all that, sounds like a pain

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Thirteen Orphans posted:

carve them onto rocks and turn earth into a giant prayer wheel

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Achmed Jones posted:

idk that gives you a lot of obligations not to get your leg dirty and all that, sounds like a pain

I have an outdoor statue of Budai in my yard and I noticed a bird had poo poo on his head. I suddenly felt guilty, letting a bird poo poo on Maitreya like that, but then thought of those massive holy statues like the Buddha of Leshan and remembered that just comes with the territory.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Birds have Buddha nature and their poo poo falls where it may

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Reminds me of the moss Buddha I saw in Osaka, even if it was kind of too late to see it well.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Birds just making sure Budai’s head doesn’t burn in the sun

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
My book the Little Zen Companion has a section listing some masters' answers to the question "What is Buddha?" I think about it a lot when questions like this come up.

quote:

"Three pounds of flax." -Tung-Shan

"Dried shitstick." -Yun-men

"This very mind." -Ma-tsu

"Not mind, not Buddha." -Ma-tsu

"What is not the Buddha?" -Nan-yang Hui-chung

"The cat is climbing up the post." -Pa-chiao Hui-ch'ing

"I never knew him." -Nan-yang Hui-ching

"Wait until there is one, for then I will tell you." -Nan-yang Hui-ching

"A new bride rides a donkey, the mother-in-law leads it." Shou-shan

"When you utter the name of Buddha, wash out your mouth." -Zen saying

"Look within, thou art Buddha." -The Voice of the Silence

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Does the bird poo poo have Buddha nature?

(not entirely a shitpost despite the literal poo poo content, I had wondered if this is qualitatively identical between living beings such as the bird, and non-living objects, such as the bird poo poo.)

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Honestly if there are statues of me hanging around thousands of years in the future, having poo poo on my head seems like a fair price

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Nessus posted:

(not entirely a shitpost despite the literal poo poo content, I had wondered if this is qualitatively identical between living beings such as the bird, and non-living objects, such as the bird poo poo.)

I'd say so. No matter what is in the universe at this moment, it can't be any other way, that's Buddha nature.

I would say something could only not have Buddha nature if it were completely non-existent, not even in the form of thought. That's just my understanding of it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Nessus posted:

I would also say it has a Buddha nature, yeah, living or not.

That being said though, it can be an enjoyable and meditative ritual to clean something like a Buddha statue. Not that they need to be "clean", but more that the effort and appreciation can focus us even better onto the path.

Wax on, wax off.poo poo on, poo poo off.