Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Pierzak posted:

Not one specific game, but I remember playing adventure(?) games on the ZX Spectrum, there were quite a few of them in a very specific graphic style - linear (i.e. movement left offscreen, right offscreen, or by entering doors, no multiple Y/Z layers on the screen) and very big character sprite, they looked kinda like Maniac Mansion without the verb menu.

Looking either for the engine/series name, or a few major titles using that style so I can prod my brain and finish the search myself.

tir na nog/dun darach/marsport?

failing that,
pyjamarama/everyone's a wally/three weeks in paradise/herbert's dummy run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

wb posted:

tir na nog/dun darach/marsport?
It looked similar, but I remember the character sprites being more stylized with bigger heads, a bit more Maniac Mansion-like. IIRC, that was a design that repeated in several games too. For what it's worth one of the games had a name in the title (yes I realize it doesn't narrow it much).

quote:

failing that,
pyjamarama/everyone's a wally/three weeks in paradise/herbert's dummy run?

No, definitely not like these.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
First-person tank game from the 90s. I can't remember whether it was late enough for proper texturing or if it was completely flat-shaded. In the first mission you start off right next to an enemy battleship that starts shooting you, and I played it once at a friends house where we spent the entire time trying to figure out how to go forward but for some reason it's stuck with me.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Pierzak posted:

It looked similar, but I remember the character sprites being more stylized with bigger heads, a bit more Maniac Mansion-like. IIRC, that was a design that repeated in several games too. For what it's worth one of the games had a name in the title (yes I realize it doesn't narrow it much).

No, definitely not like these.

gregory loses his clock/flunky?

i don't think i know. maybe they weren't ported to my system. good luck finding them, i'm curious too now!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

wb posted:

gregory loses his clock/flunky?

i don't think i know. maybe they weren't ported to my system. good luck finding them, i'm curious too now!

After skimming through various collection videos on youtube I reached the conclusion that I still have no loving idea what the game was, but that I most likely played it on Commodore 64 and not Spectrum as I posted, so sorry for any confusion I caused.

ed: loving HELL! Literally a minute after posting this I found the game and it was on the Spectrum. The game was Andy Capp.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 10, 2022

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Pierzak posted:

After skimming through various collection videos on youtube I reached the conclusion that I still have no loving idea what the game was, but that I most likely played it on Commodore 64 and not Spectrum as I posted, so sorry for any confusion I caused.

ed: loving HELL! Literally a minute after posting this I found the game and it was on the Spectrum. The game was Andy Capp.

hah, nice. i *did* actually have that game too! it wasn't the best of a pretty bad genre. grats on finding it!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

OK this thread exists and maybe I can finally Id this game I've been trying to remember for the last twenty years.

Played on my 486-66 under DOS in the early 90s. So I'd probably date this game from the late 80s or very early 90s. I'd guess this might have been a contemporary of the original Duke Nukem side scroller games.

Memory hazy, but you were some kind of vehicle, hover-vehicle maybe?, in some kind of futuristic factory or lab or some kind of building with a lot of typical 90s dos game gradiented metal pipes and walls. The premise I *think* was that it was a maze type of layout and you had to plant bombs on the ground as you moved to blow up checkpoints or to unlock doors. The view was top down or maybe slightly off-top. I don't think it was ISO but I wouldn't be surprised to learn I'm not remembering that correctly. I don't remember what your goal was, maybe to escape from this factory?

The Closest I've managed to get is that it could POSSIBLY be Xenon, which shares the aesthetic of the game I'm thinking of, and some of the gameplay, but doesn't have the puzzle aspect. It's also considerably older than I expected but that isn't meaningful since a lot of 80s and early 90s games blend together for me.

Lacking the puzzle aspect is what is really keeping me from accepting that I actually played Xenon, mostly because I really just have a mental picture of basically Xenon but there being some walls I had to navigate around, but I'm perfectly willing to accept I'm not remembering accurately.

This really sounds like Snare by Thalamus, but that was only released for the C64.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I got a vague memory that's probably way too little and too obscure to go off of, but I'll try.

I used to play a lot of qbasic games, they'd run on anything and all I had was a 486 (well after a 486 was relevant) years and years ago.

I played a lot of this sorta-RTS, you didn't control large groups of troops like WC or something you'd just have a couple robots or something, maybe just one I don't remember. But yeah, that's what it was, an RTS made in QBasic where you controlled robots in space and had to do something. I don't think combat was a big part of it but I don't really remember what the point of it all was.

Any idea? I don't know how many qbasic games like this were made, so maybe it's not too hard to find or maybe it's impossible but I don't really know where to go looking for qbasic games anymore in 2022 so I havent found it yet.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I played a DOS game that IIRC used text characters as a UI, and it was kind of an endless runner but you’re descending into an increasingly narrow tunnel. I believe it was a one-word title. This was on a shareware comp in the late 80s that also had Digger, though I doubt that’s useful knowledge. Any idea what this was?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

For a few years I have been trying to remember what game it was I played on Windows 3.1. It had kind-of lovely limited colour palette graphics and an unusual aesthetic and played like Myst / point and click.

I put on a YouTube video of hundreds of Win3.1 games in the background and it actually managed to catch my eye.

It was Dare to Dream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nctuV4ib0tg

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Escape Goat posted:

For a few years I have been trying to remember what game it was I played on Windows 3.1. It had kind-of lovely limited colour palette graphics and an unusual aesthetic and played like Myst / point and click.

I put on a YouTube video of hundreds of Win3.1 games in the background and it actually managed to catch my eye.

It was Dare to Dream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nctuV4ib0tg

this was on every shareware disk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shibawanko posted:

this was on every shareware disk

Oh yeah? Is that so? Well it wasn't on the disk that had my shareware copy of Cyberdogs. Nope.

That disk just had viruses on it.