Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Do you like Star Wars?

Do you like Limp Bizkit?

Do you feel like the deathstick line in AOTC was a good enough start to kick off a whole new setting?

Have I got some poo poo for you.

Star Wars Legacy is set multiple generations after the OT. The main character is Cade Skywalker, the dude with the bottle blond hair and the tribal tattoos. He's the distant descendent of Luke Skywalker, who appears to him in visions that he staves off with his addiction to deathsticks, which deaden his connection to the Force.

Yeah, it's the most 2006 poo poo ever.

There's some other ideas, like TIE Fighters X-Wings that look like box kites, a three-way war among the Jedi, Sith, and the morally-ambiguous Empire to throw a bone to the 501st/Thrawn wehraboo fan types, but this is enough for an OP I think. I'll post more later if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I kinda like this dumbass comic but it's also fun to make fun of.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

theres missing the pt, and theres missing it by such a margin that you make a morally-ambiguous empire in the star wars

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh yeah, this is the villain

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 28, 2020

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

looks like an australian colloquial interjection

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

daath krayt, the boggins got em a ute!!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I was gonna post about the main characters but here.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Darth Spikeydude usurps the Imperial throne - remember that the Imperials are kinda morally grey - but only kills a body double. The Emperor, Roan Fel, escapes with his life, and sets up a government in exile with the Moffs loyal to him.

He (and his daughter, more on her later) escape with the help of the Imperial Knights, a Third Way of the Force order of red-armored Force-using knights with silver lightsabers.

Also, this is the most 2006 poo poo that ever 2006ed.

Oh did I not mention? In the prologue, Cade - then a Jedi padawan, which is I guess what they're calling their apprentices again in the far future because the prequels came out recently-ish - revived his master with healing Force Lightning, a terrifying power that he should not have. A power Darth Krayt covets.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 29, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Squizzle posted:

theres missing the pt, and theres missing it by such a margin that you make a morally-ambiguous empire in the star wars

It's a good empire because one of Han and Leia's kids married into it of course

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

It's a good empire because one of Han and Leia's kids married into it of course

Plus, the Emperor is descended directly from Soontir Fel, one of Stackpole's extra special wehraboo Imperial heroic-villain characters (who later defects to Rogue Squadron).

Oh and yes, Cade has a sawed-off blaster shotgun.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 29, 2020

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Lol at Nickelback's belt buckle having plate armor that is itself a second belt buckle.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
please enjoy this art

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Something that had to be really important in the pitch meeting for this comic was "legacies", in case you missed the title or something. So half the characters are named after someone else from another Star Wars thing. It isn't just that Cade Durst there is directly descended from Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade, and the Emperor is descended from some goofy Stackpole OC, but a bunch of characters turn out to be related to other recognizable Star Wars characters. For example, Astraal and Shado Vao, an almost-immediately-forgotten handmaiden and a Spock-like Jedi, are both Twileks (the stripper aliens with the head tails), so they're of course descended from the only Twilek with a name anyone remembers: Mission Vao, from Knights of the Old Republic. (Apparently the name Vao survives, but nobody remembers what rakghouls are.)

This naming thing only lasts a few issues, because for one, it's a dumb distraction, and for another, it makes the entire galaxy far far away feel impossibly tiny, the same way connecting everyone to everyone in the prequels and sequels did.

It was so important to the pitch, in fact, that it's the main new rule set introduced in the accompanying Star Wars Legacy sourcebook for the Star Wars SAGA tabletop RPG.

Who doesn't want to make an RPG character who is continuing the proud history of being the star fighter pilot who appears two times without dying?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what if star wars except operating on the Zelda framework and everything is mirroring the other things down to names.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

please enjoy this art

what the gently caress is this

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Squizzle posted:

what the gently caress is this

art

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

"Why did you put Darth Vader's legs on your Boba Fett and put Luke's head on it?"
"SHUT UP IT LOOKS COOL"

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Cease to Hope posted:

These guys look loving cool,. If I were in Star Wars I'd be a Sith for sure.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Nitevision posted:

These guys look loving cool,. If I were in Star Wars I'd be a Sith for sure.

This.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

hey i think i actually read the first issue of this

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The only thing I know about this is that the one popular red twi'lek was in it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Darth Crate lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

punchymcpunch posted:

hey i think i actually read the first issue of this

Krayt was in a bunch of stuff before this and then they brought him back for reasons??? But you may have seen him in the old Republic comics, I think (he was the Jedi who lived with the Tusken Raiders because Tatooine is just the Jedi hangout planet apparently)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Krayt was in a bunch of stuff before this and then they brought him back for reasons??? But you may have seen him in the old Republic comics, I think (he was the Jedi who lived with the Tusken Raiders because Tatooine is just the Jedi hangout planet apparently)

Same author! This ran concurrently with Republic and Empire and there are a handful of recurring characters.

I keep meaning to post more about Darth Crate and his dumb backstory and the One Sith and his name followers with their goofy names but :effort:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IMO the whole "nebulously good/evil Empire" thing was kind of dumb, but I do appreciate the effort to make things a little more than just "Jedi vs. Sith, but it's the future instead of the past"

e: IIRC some of the EU stuff had the Imperial Remnant allying briefly with the Republic against a rogue Imperial faction (Admiral Daala maybe? It's been a while). I definitely remember Pellaeon leading the Remnant and being like "ok we're all loving sick of fighting" and working towards a truce.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

Same author! This ran concurrently with Republic and Empire and there are a handful of recurring characters.

I keep meaning to post more about Darth Crate and his dumb backstory and the One Sith and his name followers with their goofy names but :effort:

Darth Wyyrlok 1, 2 & 3

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IMO the whole "nebulously good/evil Empire" thing was kind of dumb, but I do appreciate the effort to make things a little more than just "Jedi vs. Sith, but it's the future instead of the past"

e: IIRC some of the EU stuff had the Imperial Remnant allying briefly with the Republic against a rogue Imperial faction (Admiral Daala maybe? It's been a while). I definitely remember Pellaeon leading the Remnant and being like "ok we're all loving sick of fighting" and working towards a truce.

wookieepedia needs articles like these for all of the times some idiot has tried to make noble imperials:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rommel_myth
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myth_of_the_clean_Wehrmacht

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Squizzle posted:

wookieepedia needs articles like these for all of the times some idiot has tried to make noble imperials:

I don't think Pellaeon was a Rommel figure I think he was literally just an admiral in the Imperial Remnant who realized the war was long-lost and was sick of fighting?

e:

wookiepedia posted:

Upon Daala's defeat at Yavin 4, she turned command of the Remnant over to Admiral Pellaeon, making him Supreme Commander of the Imperial Fleet. He rebuilt the fleet and fought a series of campaigns against the New Republic, but was frequently driven back as the Remnant's resources shriveled. In 19 ABY, He finally accepted that the only way for the Empire to survive was through a peace treaty, and forced the Council of Moffs to accept a truce with the New Republic. When the Imperial capital fell to the extragalactic Yuuzhan Vong invaders years later, Pellaeon played on the Imperial fleet's absolute loyalty to him to overcome the old-line Moffs' resistance and join the newly formed Galactic Alliance, leading a series of victories over the Yuuzhan Vong.

At the war's close, Pellaeon retired, but returned to serve as the supreme commander of the Galactic Alliance Defense Force when his predecessor Sien Sovv was killed. In that capacity, Pellaeon led the Galactic Alliance through the Swarm War and the early stages of the Second Galactic Civil War before once more retiring. He returned to service as the head of state of the Imperial Remnant, but died in 41 ABY at Fondor, assassinated by Tahiri Veila when he refused to support Darth Caedus's faction of the Galactic Alliance.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Squizzle posted:

God yes. Star Wars fandom is lousy with space wehraboos. It's fine to like the fantasy space villains, but you have to remember that they're the villains, you know?

Speaking of villains.

Darth Krayt is ever Star Wars villain cliche wrapped up into one. Despite the fact that this is set like 150 years in the future and he's an ordinary human, he's a Clone Wars-era Jedi who escaped Order 66. He has a terrible malady that he has to concentrate almost all of his powers on to suppress, and it's the thing he's actually mad about. All that poo poo all over him that makes him look like a third-tier Spawn villain? About half of that is a horrible disease that's killing him.

This isn't a bad idea per se, but it's also basically every old EU story from Darth Vader's perspective. EU Darth Vader is incredibly powerful but has to direct almost all of that power into sustaining his own life, but also draws his power from anger over being maimed in the first place. That's also Darth Krayt's gimmick, because :effort:

He's half-Tusken Raider by birth, and went to hide among them after the Empire took over. (He has a whole backstory with Obi-Wan and Anakin but it's thankfully mostly omitted from this comic.) At some point he goes on a vision quest or something and gets inducted into the Sith by one of the many Sith holocron-ghosts laying around the old EU, and decides he's going to form the One Sith. For some reason this involves exploring the far reaches of space, where he runs into the Yuuzhan Vong before anyone else does. He promptly gets himself captured and infected with Vong coral (which is spiky zombie cancer) and fully turned to the Dark Side by Vergere, another Sith who decided to explore the far reaches of space and got kidnapped by the Yuuzhan Vong. (Vergere is one of the recurring villains of the really quite terrible YV-era novels and comics.)

You don't have to know all of this. Almost none of it comes up at all after Krayt's backstory gets told. There's no reason to know any of this other than to gratuitously tie this character to other ongoing Star Wars EU stuff at the time.

Krayt decides (correctly) that all of the previous Sith were a bunch of idiots. His plan for the One Sith involves a whole Sith Order set up hierarchically, with him at the top, surrounded by his closest advisors, who in turn teach other Sith the hidden Sith arts of applying red bodypaint without covering up your tribal tattoos and swinging a lightsaber while scowling. He spends about a century on Korriban recruiting new Sith, going in and out of stasis (which is why he survives so long), learning to suppress his Vong coral infection that risks turning him into a spiky zombie, and making cameo appearances in other Star Wars stories.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 3, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Somebody make a Pokemon fan game about this poo poo.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

God yes. Star Wars fandom is lousy with space wehraboos. It's fine to like the fantasy space villains, but you have to remember that they're the villains, you know?

Speaking of villains.

Darth Krayt is ever Star Wars villain cliche wrapped up into one. Despite the fact that this is set like 150 years in the future and he's an ordinary human, he's a Clone Wars-era Jedi who escaped Order 66. He has a terrible malady that he has to concentrate almost all of his powers on to suppress, and it's the thing he's actually mad about. All that poo poo all over him that makes him look like a third-tier Spawn villain? About half of that is a horrible disease that's killing him.

This isn't a bad idea per se, but it's also basically every old EU story from Darth Vader's perspective. EU Darth Vader is incredibly powerful but has to direct almost all of that power into sustaining his own life, but also draws his power from anger over being maimed in the first place. That's also Darth Krayt's gimmick, because :effort:

i jsut realised that cable is a ripoff of darth vader

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

punchymcpunch posted:

i jsut realised that cable is a ripoff of darth vader

I'm pretty sure the EU Darth Vader stuff post-dates Cable by a bit? Not 100% sure though.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

is anyone a descendent of yaddle

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
there is an obvious yoda expy but it's one of those aliens with the extremely long face and tusks

apparently it's yet another character from a previous story by the same author

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I liked the initial pitch of this concept because it avoided the usual Star Wars sequel garbage of treading water with OT heroes and dull status quo but its really scared to do any like actual storytelling instead if just mixing things you know together and vaguely remember going oh thats neat.

I remember it still somehow being less embarassing than the new films though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

there is an obvious yoda expy but it's one of those aliens with the extremely long face and tusks

apparently it's yet another character from a previous story by the same author

star wars has a wealth of species that live like 500+ years and its best when that gets used in an interesting way