Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Peter being in a magic class with a bunch of kids was pretty great.

Clara's dream being slowly suffocated by the realities of business was pretty painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Feeling like a fool for not looking for a thread until now. This has been the best surprise of the year for me, media-wise. I expect I’m going to spend the rest of the year trying to get people to watch this show, unless the last episode screws it up completely, which I doubt.

I’m watching with my dad and we have one big speculation about the finale: Clown Boy represents young Peter, right? He was telling Simone during their bad date about how he used to get nosebleeds as a kid and then stopped, then got one when the date ended and he was stressed about losing her. Something happened when he was a kid and he lost his ability to get in touch with his emotions until now. The finale will be about him finally acknowledging it and moving on.

I...don’t know how to explain Clown Boy showing up to everyone else without this all being some sort of magic or simulation, though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Finale was like an extras/commentary made into an episode. Which is certainly an... interesting... choice.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
That was beautiful. I wish someone had told me about submitting those videos for the end.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I feel like i'm missing out on some vitals part of this episode because I don't really know who Jason Segel is, beyond being the creator of the show. But it was a lovely end to an amazing show. I don't know if they can do a second season, but I would love one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile I know too much about Segel to the point that I figured out a lot of where we were going as soon as I saw The Muppets lmao

I have mixed but overall positive feelings about this finale. I thought by itself it was a beautiful ending, self-indulgent but genuinely thoughtful and moving, and showed Segel as a mature creator with a rare self-awareness (ie he knows better than to actually try and make us feel bad for him for getting paid a lot to be funny on TV) who clearly learned some wonderful lessons from his experience with the game, and managed to challenge that into creating art in the best way possible. On its own terms, as a depiction of Segel’s story, it succeeds completely.

Where there are wrinkles, for me, is in the fact that it was also the finale to a season of TV where I had grown to love the leads quite a lot. I really wanted more with the actual characters, rather than Segel’s “real” version of them. I wanted proper endings to Fredwynn and Simone’s arcs. Maybe when I watch again it’ll become clear that there was enough in the first 9 episodes that it isn’t as much of an issue, but I really felt Fredwynn especially could have done with more in-universe wrap-up. This unfortunately leads to me feeling like a show clearly about community ended up having the other leads play second fiddle to the ideas Segel wanted to impart, which almost goes against the whole grain of the show a little.

Still, what a great show on the whole! I really loved it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I kind of agree that it is a little sad we don't get closure on Peter but I still thought it was a strong finale. One thing I'm wondering is if the heckler on the street was scripted or just a happy accident that they decided to leave in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also there are plans for a potential second season so maybe we'll see them again.

cropoval
Feb 17, 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

Where there are wrinkles, for me, is in the fact that it was also the finale to a season of TV where I had grown to love the leads quite a lot. I really wanted more with the actual characters, rather than Segel’s “real” version of them. I wanted proper endings to Fredwynn and Simone’s arcs. Maybe when I watch again it’ll become clear that there was enough in the first 9 episodes that it isn’t as much of an issue, but I really felt Fredwynn especially could have done with more in-universe wrap-up. This unfortunately leads to me feeling like a show clearly about community ended up having the other leads play second fiddle to the ideas Segel wanted to impart, which almost goes against the whole grain of the show a little.

Yeah, I think this was my problem with this finale. I felt like I was missing something the entire time, because I was waiting to see Team Blue again and see how Segel would connect them to his life more explicitly. The fact that Segel was himself but Lindley and Field were still called Simone and Janice made it even weirder (and I couldn't tell if Andre Benjamin was himself or Fredwynn- he seemed more like himself?).

I'm usually very easily pleased with fiction- I'm one of those people who is perfectly fine with the ending of Lost- so I'm surprised at how much I started to dislike this when I realized we wouldn't see those characters again. It made it feel like something was missing. It does make me curious about what Season 2 would be, although I'm inclined to think it'd be an entirely different story.

The kid ruled though. Got a huge laugh out of "I'll be back when you have to write another Muppets movie."

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Was that a dig at the Muppets movie, like if he sold out again the kid would be back to remind him? Or did it mean his inner-child would come back to help if he made another kids movie? It seemed like a cruel jab at Muppets if it was the first one since I thought that film was a passion project for Segal.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Annabel Pee posted:

Was that a dig at the Muppets movie, like if he sold out again the kid would be back to remind him? Or did it mean his inner-child would come back to help if he made another kids movie? It seemed like a cruel jab at Muppets if it was the first one since I thought that film was a passion project for Segal.

I definitely took it as the latter. I don't think there's anything about this whole series that would indicate anything other than it being okay to have a childlike sense of wonder as an adult.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I definitely took it as the latter as well.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What an absolute loving garbage ending to a show. That was self indulgent loving bullshit.

Jason reads The Dark Tower series and is like, ”you know, that's pretty good, but I think I can do one better, Stephen!”

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

cropoval posted:

(and I couldn't tell if Andre Benjamin was himself or Fredwynn- he seemed more like himself?).

It can be seen as a pitch. Possibly to Andre Benjamin: but certainly not to Fredwynn.

A terminally obsessed with getting to the truth Fredwynn wouldn't have acted like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Really got into this - it’s on prime now(?) and I would highly recommend. Every episode is different and happy and sad and always surprising.