Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

boy, am I glad I shelled out for the professional class metal detector. it has completely transformed my early morning/weekend beach visits. once upon a time I was mostly finding bottle caps and loose change. now its a whole new ball game.

just this past weekend I found, buried maybe two feet deep by the boardwalk, a huge metal screw type thingie. thing is, it didn't resemble any screw I'd ever seen before, it was ungodly heavy and had absolutely no rust or tarnish.

that's not the weirdest thing though. this screw thingie actually seemed to move by itself. I know that sounds hard to believe and was almost certainly just the super powerful magnets from my metal detector moving it around. whatever the explanation, it felt like a mexican jumping bean, like it had somewhere to go.

my goal was to take the thing to an appraiser and see if I could get some real cash for it, but wouldn't you know it somebody stole the thing from the back seat of my car. I left it there for just a few minutes so I could grab my starbucks order, and in that short time someone smashed the window and swiped my cool find. the one bright side here is that most of the broken glass landed outside the car, so I didn't have to spend literal hours fishing tiny glass shards out of my carpeting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

Hey so crazy coincidence I was walking with my new metal detector at the beach as well and heard a strange vibrating humming noise, then my MD-250 went off like crazy and I dug out a huge metal door under the sand with a strange keyhole in the center. Then all of a sudden some crazy kid must have snuck up on me and played a trick because I fell unconscious and had this crazy dream about "The Gate" being opened.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Manifisto

I've found so many genie bottles I don't know what to do with the drat things. genies are assholes anyway, they live to gently caress with you, so I gently caress with them right back. my first wish is always for more wishes, causing them to roll their eyes back and monologue about how I can't do that, I'm not taking this thing seriously, etc etc. I nod, act like I understand, ask some basic questions, then for my second wish I wish for more wishes again.

ty nesamdoom!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
All I keep finding are abandoned metal detectors...

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Manifisto

here's a weird one: cans of soup. not old empty cans, newish unexpired full cans of soup buried inexplicably deep. they taste fine and my food costs have gone way down, but seriously, who the gently caress is burying all this soup under every drat beach I visit, and why do they like campbell's chicken and stars so much? actually that last one is easy to explain, it's obviously the best soup.

ty nesamdoom!

FutonForensic

love to shove ball bearings down my pants and wave my metal detector over my dick and yell "i've got balls of steel!!" have to shout pretty loud because legally i'm not supposed to be close to crowds

Yinlock

update on the monolith i dug up: finally pried the drat thing open, it was full of the entire cosmos but no change, disappointed but that's how things go sometimes.

Goons Are Gifts

As a wise man once said, metal detectors combine the two greatest American qualities: Garbage and luck.

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

As a wise man once said, metal detectors combine the two greatest American qualities: Garbage and luck.

:hmmyes: with a bit of unfounded techno-optimism thrown in

ty nesamdoom!

Finger Prince

When it first started, metal detecting was an exciting new hobby. You could find cool stuff every time you went out. But as time went on and it got more popular, and it was determined that the 99% of the landmass British Isles is composed entirely of old Roman coins, the novelty kind of wore off.

FutonForensic

just showed up to th metal detector Club. everyone is wearing a "babe detector" t-shirt

vanisher

Just pulling up baby after baby with this metal detector, it's a little disturbing

vanisher

The babies are perfectly fine which is also a little strange considering how deep they're buried

alnilam

Day 1: Huge find today, I think. Major beeps from the MD. Dug a few inches and found some kind of perfect rod, extending downward, of a very shiny, smooth metal. Oddly clean, as soon as I brushed the mud away it was pristine as if it had been washed. I dug down about a foot around it but didn'tg find the bottom, couldn't even make it budge with all my strength. Couldn't get much deeper with a trowel, decided to cover it up and come back tomorrow with a full shovel etc.

Day 2: Strange dreams last night. Anyway I dug down 5 feet on all sides and this thing just keeps going, perfectly straight. Quite a thing to see. Exhausted. Covered with tarp and

Day 3: Troubled dreams last night. Didn't sleep much. Couldn't leave the site so I slept on the ground beside it. Enlisted the help of my neighbor with a truck. He hitched a chain to the thing and pulled. Weird thing is his whole engine blew, even though the chain should have broken long before any damage to the truck. Must have been ready to go. Chain is now stuck badly to the pillar, and has become mysteriously clean, shiny, and smooth.

Day 4: Neighbor and I both slept on the ground next to the tarp, or should I say, we laid awake a while there. Preferable anyway to the dreams I had during my brief moments of sleep. Today we dug down to about 10 foot depth by hand. Many rocks to remove. A few utility lines, ha ha. Still not budging. City officials asked us what we were doing in the park, and when we explained and showed them, they joined our efforts. Guess they're into the hobby too. Nice folks.

Day 8: Sorry didn't write in a while. Hundreds of people from around town now encamped. Hole getting really deep, not sure of depth but ropes and ladders have been erected. At night we hear a strange humming in the sound of each others voices, as if all the other folks are joined in some eerie tune, but nobody fesses up to singing. I know I wasn't humming, how could I with how sore my throat has been the last few days.

ty manifisto

Manifisto

metal detector enthusiast at the nude beach who always seems to find something right by the attractive people. "holy crap, a gold doubloon, that's amazing!"

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

aaa too many good posts to emptyquote

ty nesamdoom!

FutonForensic

vanisher

My teenage daughter calls me as she gets settled into the place she will stay at for her vacation: "Dad.. They took her"

"Follow my instructions very carefully. They will come for you and they will take you. Make your way to the bedroom, quietly. Wrap yourself in as many metallic objects as you can find. Bracelets, necklaces, anything metallic. Aluminum and steel are best. Call out any valuable jewelry you see them wearing."

vanisher

vanisher

Manifisto posted:

biosterous

Manifisto posted:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Goons Are Gifts

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
i went to germany once with my metal detector, boy did I find a lot of metal

<3 <3 Vanisher

super sweet best pal

Manifisto posted:

boy, am I glad I shelled out for the professional class metal detector. it has completely transformed my early morning/weekend beach visits. once upon a time I was mostly finding bottle caps and loose change. now its a whole new ball game.

just this past weekend I found, buried maybe two feet deep by the boardwalk, a huge metal screw type thingie. thing is, it didn't resemble any screw I'd ever seen before, it was ungodly heavy and had absolutely no rust or tarnish.

that's not the weirdest thing though. this screw thingie actually seemed to move by itself. I know that sounds hard to believe and was almost certainly just the super powerful magnets from my metal detector moving it around. whatever the explanation, it felt like a mexican jumping bean, like it had somewhere to go.

my goal was to take the thing to an appraiser and see if I could get some real cash for it, but wouldn't you know it somebody stole the thing from the back seat of my car. I left it there for just a few minutes so I could grab my starbucks order, and in that short time someone smashed the window and swiped my cool find. the one bright side here is that most of the broken glass landed outside the car, so I didn't have to spend literal hours fishing tiny glass shards out of my carpeting.

SUPERMAN!

Yinlock

lucked out today and dug up an entire alien craft, it's hull thrumming with mysterious energies and emitting powerful electromagnetic signals

i could get at LEAST 10 dollars scrap value on this bad boy

Senior Management

Make sure you don't accidentally end up metal detecting on protected park land. At least in America that is a big time crime. And if you find something that could be historically relevant consider making a gps note for posterity. Also I don't understand why I keep finding angry spooky skeletons whenever I metal detect. I guess it is because they often have big old swords? Tired of getting attacked. Any necromancers around?

:jerry:

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGsn7c9BMnY

idiotsavant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q47d8-1Pyg

Peg Sliderskew
How are you all finding such exciting things? I just keep finding ancient gold jewellery that's all dirty and broken and frankly, far from tasteful. How the hell do you even pronounce 'torque'??

Would kill for a mysterious pole right now.

Courtesy of Manifisto

Yinlock

reported for doxxing me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal

The scene in Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans where Nic Cage is talking about the haul he had as a kid was great :discourse: