Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I could have sworn he said "her", "him" makes literally no sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

precision posted:

I could have sworn he said "her", "him" makes literally no sense

Check it:

???

Never embedded on mobile before, don't know if that's working but - https://imgur.com/gallery/GfJfxs8

Edit: He's definitely not saying 'her'. 'Them' maybe but if so it's really bad take to use for such a climactic scene. Garland didn't do that by accident.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 15, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wow, yeah, that... that just opens up a lot of questions

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay, just watched again

I'm thinking he says "I just want 'em back", meaning his wife and daughter, and the subtitles are wrong. It rarely happens but it does.

That's the only thing that makes sense imo

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
Who's Julia

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

precision posted:

Okay, just watched again

I'm thinking he says "I just want 'em back", meaning his wife and daughter, and the subtitles are wrong. It rarely happens but it does.

That's the only thing that makes sense imo

Yea someone on Imgur commented on my upload like instantly and checked Hulu version which had 'them' as the subtitle. My head canon is that he couldn't wait to play frisbee with Jamie again.

And ^ I meant Katie oops

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

That Kenton really was a poo poo.

Cracking show, such a great watch. Sound design was incredible.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016
I did not understand why the machine only works with the many worlds theory. I thought that the devs machine is an extremely advanced computer, but the realities it generates are computed projections and not physical realities in the metaverse. The computers takes in physical inputs and creates a digital world of past and future using those inputs. The people living in the machine in the end are not real, just really advanced ai entities that are indistinguishable from the people they are suppose to represent. Nothing relating to the machine actually affects the real world and we do not know whether it is a single or multi verse.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Meshka posted:

I did not understand why the machine only works with the many worlds theory. I thought that the devs machine is an extremely advanced computer, but the realities it generates are computed projections and not physical realities in the metaverse. The computers takes in physical inputs and creates a digital world of past and future using those inputs. The people living in the machine in the end are not real, just really advanced ai entities that are indistinguishable from the people they are suppose to represent. Nothing relating to the machine actually affects the real world and we do not know whether it is a single or multi verse.
I think this is actually the crux of the dilemma facing the Devs team. The system is meant to emulate reality with perfect fidelity, but the mathematics and principles of a one-world system don't give the desired results, whereas many-worlds do. What this means for the Devs team is that since the machine functions on many-worlds, and the machine is a 1:1 replica of reality, it means that our reality also exists in many-worlds. Which would be fine except that Forrest is ideologically opposed to Many Worlds, because it means that there exist realities where events for himself and his family unfolded differently and, at best, he's simply unlucky and at worse, the choices he made lead to the death of his wife and daughter.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Meshka posted:

The people living in the machine in the end are not real, just really advanced ai entities that are indistinguishable from the people they are suppose to represent.
This is a substantive philosophical view: that is, if you say "an AI entity that is indistinguishable from a person is not a person," you are making a claim which some philosophers would agree with and others would disagree with. There are significant arguments about this point back and forth.

From the point of view of the show I think it is clear you are wrong: in the world as depicted in the show, AI entities are real people, because they have everything that matters about real people. They have all the same thoughts and memories and feelings and so on.

You could disagree with the show and say that, in our actual reality (unlike the reality in which the show takes place) these people would just be simulations, not actual people. Obviously the show doesn't have to be correct: it's just what some guy thinks about philosophy. But you should think very clearly about what you are doing when you say this. When you say this, you are advancing a substantive philosophical view which is far from obvious. (In fact, the majority of philosophers would probably disagree, although it's not a huge majority.)

If you're interested in the topic, the idea that the people are real would follow from endorsing what is known in philosophy as functionalism about the mind, plus accepting that the AI entities are in fact indistinguishable from real people. You are here rejecting functionalism, and saying you think some other theory of the mind is correct (because you are accepting that the AI entities are in fact indistinguishable).

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

There were people in the earlier parts of the Westworld thread who seemed to also miss that, despite it being essentially the entire point of the show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

toggle posted:

Cracking show, such a great watch. Sound design was incredible.

It was. Apparently the droning, eerie sound design was so good, San Francisco decided to make it real: the Golden Gate Bridge sings now

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Binged this show this weekend, and absolutely loved it. Catching up on the earlier conversation here, it was my interpretation that the reason Lily broke the machine is simply because she was the first "non-believer" allowed to see and interact with it.

The machine assumes a deterministic world, but the world in the show is NOT deterministic. Anyone and everyone that was allowed to interact with the machine up until that point truly believed it was, however, allowing it to for all intents and purposes, work. To use the fridge analogy from earlier, if I told you a fridge was a magic box that kept food from spoiling forever, and you just happened to only use the fridge to store food that you ate before it spoiled you would probably believe me. But if someone were to set out to prove me wrong by leaving something in a fridge for a month, it would be clear it didn't actually do what I claimed, even though until someone proved it, it appeared to.

When Forrest made the point about not crossing his arms, he was basically pointing out the fatal flaw in the system... anyone who had the opportunity and motive to prove the world was not deterministic would indeed cause the machine's simulation to break down a few moments after they attempted to do so by creating the infinite loop people were mentioning earlier .

The machine continued to work for Forrest when he pointed this flaw out only because it determined successfully that even though he had figured out and stated the flaw, he would not act upon it. After all, he didn't actually have the motive to prove that it didn't work. He needed it to work. It worked for the other technicians only because their motive when viewing themselves was not to break the machine, but a reactionary "I can't believe what I am seeing, this thing actually works". They were only one second behind it, and none of them were in the mindset of "prove the machine wrong", so of course none of them would.

What's interesting, and what I'm most curious about, is that if they started the simulation up again after Lily and Forrest's death and seeded it with the actual event that occurred in their timeline (one of their corpses instead of the corpses of the rat), if it would have worked again to predict the future successfully. I feel as though it would have for as long as nobody intentionally tries to defy the machine (or another identical machine someone else invents)

The implications of this are that as long as you could keep the machine a secret, and as long as nobody else invented a similar machine and tried to break that one, you would know literally everything that would happen. Essentially, there would be no difference between a deterministic world and a non-deterministic world if not viewed from the outside perspective. Like the experiment, the only way to cause the difference is to actively observe and prove the prediction wrong so if nobody with the motive was given the opportunity, it would continue to work.

Lastly, the secret moral of the story is that they needed a competent QA team. The moment they assign a QA team to test the machine (in the most obvious way ever) it would have broken in the same way. But it didn't have a QA team because it wasn't a normal project, it was a cult. An outsider came in to tear the mask off the leader, and it was clear that he was not the immortal he claimed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

I liked pondering all the visual metaphors in this show, like all the numerous and lingering shots of windows, glass doors. All the glass makes nested reflections of the world you perceive (box within a box), windows being kind of a portal to another world, or maybe another reality, especially insofar as several decision points along the plot involve someone physically passing through a window instead of a door. Making a burnt sacrifice at the feet of a giant idol of a dead goddess (the goddess of Forest's world, anyway). It's all neat stuff.