Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think it's the genetically engineered genitals that make orgasms last as long as you want.

And the drug glands.

e: well that was a hell of a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm just picturing the AIs going for transcendence being off in a corner of the galaxy all 'ANY DAY NOW GUYS C'MON!'

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
transcendence is a matter of opinion about your current state, not an objective destination

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Does seem that as the books go on, Banks leans into the idea that sublimed civilisations just litter the galaxy like skeletal remains.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
everyone leaves this plane of existence, one way or another

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

josh04 posted:

Does seem that as the books go on, Banks leans into the idea that sublimed civilisations just litter the galaxy like skeletal remains.

Lol I'm reminded of Her, where the AIs Speedrun from being Alexa to fiction movie level household AI, to poly dating mass humans, to breaking everyone's heart to start dating other AI, to announcing goodbye we are going to space and transcending.

Buncha weirdly broken hearts and malfunctioning tech left behind.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There's a paragraph in one of the books that talks about why the Culture hasn't sublimed (though individual Minds have been known to), and it boils down to "because they think they have things to do in the normal set of dimensions, and those things are to interfere with other civilisations development (in a positive way)"

Iain M Banks, Surface Detail posted:

Even the most urbanely sophisticated, scrupulously empathic and excruciatingly polite civilisation, it had been suggested, was just a hegswarm with a sense of proportion.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm also reminded of The Shadow Out Of Time with the Yith just mass-bodyjacking entire civilizations when they gently caress up their last one.

Also how the webcomic Schlock Mercenary, which it seems takes a lot of inspiration from among other things The Culture, eventually brings up the idea with it being far from uncommon from starfaring civilizations to eventually form reclusive transcendent post-singularity arcologies in distant orbit of the galaxy that birthed them, trying to get safe distance from disturbingly regular galactic crises that wipe out said civilizations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Was it ever explained what sand worms ate?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
they're filter-feeders who are also opportunistic predators

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

what is the deal with the sophon in the three body problem books?

it doesnt make any sense. how do you engrave something into a proton? its made of two smaller particles. and even if you used an electron like... subatomic particles dont have a contiguous surface. and even if they did, they acknoweldge it only has the mass of a proton, so how the gently caress does it work as a mirror without just being pushed into space by all the photons hitting it?

also the way they 'science lock' humanity doesnt make any sense. i have a friend who worked at CERN, they would just adjust the experiments to take into account the sophon being smashed or being the smasher. in fact, getting to smash a sophon to bits a billion times and study the data would be a scientists wet dream

i liked the books and they were very thought provoking but i see a lot of people talking about them as like 'chillingly realistic', especially the sophon, which seems like its up there with cavorite in terms of scientific fidelity

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
my favorite part is where they use the interociter

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The Three Body Problem is bad, OP.

Bad and stupid.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

a lot of it was pretty bad but i enjoyed some of the stuff about dimensional warfare. the characters were not great though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Three Body Problem is bad, OP.

Bad and stupid.

This forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester