Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Outrail posted:

If vaccination is important to a company offer a $200 bonus for proof of double vaccination.

Dunno how it is in Australia, but if you believe local news, businesses would rather shutter than pay their workers slightly more than the $2.13 (no bennies) tipped minimum. Just saw an Arby's with a massive 'Now Hiring: $14.50/hr'. Minimum in here is $14/hr. Wow an extra $20 a week, assuming you'd get 40 hrs which you wouldn't.

Read a book on the history of the industrial revolution, discussing it with a friend with a masters in Econ, he told me "Yea basically everyone learns about the luddites as backwards idiots standing athwart history yelling stop in undergrad, then in grad school you learn they were basically right about everything." I feel like it must be the same thing, we all learn the point of a business is to make more in revenue than is lost to expenses, and to use the profits to hire, expand, advertise, recapitalize. But once you get the bank loan for your business they take you into a side room and say 'forget all that poo poo, business is a competition where the only way to win is to never share a loving dime with anyone, no matter what it costs you.'

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S08E07/36...FRIRSBET0xMQVIu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PipHelix posted:

Anyone else quarantining again for quarantine?

I've been back at work for a year now. Very few people wear masks. We're about to bring 40,000 students to campus. I carry on as normal in my personal life because I'm done sacrificing my happiness while my job is doing everything it can to infect me. This is what living with COVID looks like!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PipHelix posted:

Dunno how it is in Australia, but if you believe local news, businesses would rather shutter than pay their workers slightly more than the $2.13 (no bennies) tipped minimum. Just saw an Arby's with a massive 'Now Hiring: $14.50/hr'. Minimum in here is $14/hr. Wow an extra $20 a week, assuming you'd get 40 hrs which you wouldn't.

Read a book on the history of the industrial revolution, discussing it with a friend with a masters in Econ, he told me "Yea basically everyone learns about the luddites as backwards idiots standing athwart history yelling stop in undergrad, then in grad school you learn they were basically right about everything." I feel like it must be the same thing, we all learn the point of a business is to make more in revenue than is lost to expenses, and to use the profits to hire, expand, advertise, recapitalize. But once you get the bank loan for your business they take you into a side room and say 'forget all that poo poo, business is a competition where the only way to win is to never share a loving dime with anyone, no matter what it costs you.'

https://frinkiac.com/meme/S08E07/36...FRIRSBET0xMQVIu

Kill society and feast on its carcass.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been back at work for a year now. Very few people wear masks. We're about to bring 40,000 students to campus. I carry on as normal in my personal life because I'm done sacrificing my happiness while my job is doing everything it can to infect me. This is what living with COVID looks like!

That sucks. I never got a safety break to be called back from, but at least everyone I work with has been good about masks and etiquette. Helps that my group was put in charge of some aspects of enforcement. Aside from a few chuds who are out and open about their politics - common enough everywhere, and easy enough to avoid that when they caught the bug, they didn't infect anyone who wasn't already on board with their bullshit.

I'd be super pissed if I had a public facing job. Thinking back on it, even as a kid, when I did, I was.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I figured this thread would just die on its own as we all went back to whatever when shutdowns were over. However my school system is going back to virtual (pretty much a total shutdown) so maybe some of you are sitting back at home too.

Tell us what you've been doing, or are currently doing, with the free time.

My teenage son, and I, are putting together some plans to build him a small blacksmith shop in the backyard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm still waiting for 2020 to end.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I moved to the lovely redneck part of California so the idea of like quarantining or masks or vaccines is like not really a thing, poo poo is like traveling back in time to 2018

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nooner posted:

I moved to the lovely redneck part of California so the idea of like quarantining or masks or vaccines is like not really a thing, poo poo is like traveling back in time to 2018

Get in on the ground floor with methcoin.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Very depressed and having limited success with ECT. :(

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Nooner posted:

i went up to lone pine a couple months ago and it owned, i hate social distancing world

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:sympathy:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poverty goat posted:

Growing weed

7 months later my third harvest is about to come in and I'm feeling increasingly secure in never leaving the house again

https://i.imgur.com/vQEnB4r.mp4

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

I keep hearing things about magic mushrooms really helping. Maybe drop a line to your weed dealer?

naem
May 29, 2011

Nooner posted:

https://youtu.be/vd-4n6gLMoY

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

poverty goat posted:

7 months later my third harvest is about to come in and I'm feeling increasingly secure in never leaving the house again

That looks like some alien stuff. Good job.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My daughter, who was conceived like two weeks before Covid hit America, just had her first birthday. We risked a birthday party so she could finally meet some of the (fully vaxed) family for the first time, since we never did a baby shower or anything normal like. Thankfully no one got sick from it, I was tense for the two weeks following that part, plus Christmas.

Every time we see one of our parents, it’s two weeks of paranoia.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I actually almost went to brooklyn for a relatively small, quiet family get together w/ my sisters and their families but I couldn't arrange for my dogs so I didn't go. And in the end they all ended up spending the whole time quarantined in different parts of the house because one sister's family had 1 person get sick the day they arrived. But everyone in the house was as vaxxed as possible and nobody else got sick or tested positive in or out of the quarantine zone so I guess it's a vaccine success story more than a cautionary tale

glad I didn't go though. lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

If you ever want to start a conversation with my ayahuasca cult, lemme knooooooow.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

poverty goat posted:

:eyepop:

Noice

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Thundercracker posted:

I keep hearing things about magic mushrooms really helping. Maybe drop a line to your weed dealer?

As they contain no psychoactive (banned) substances, mushroom spores aren't technically federally illegal. State level; only illegal in Idaho, Georgia, and California (but do double check this for yourself). If I remember Pennywise doesn't live in any of those states.

Order some psylocibin spores, Midwest Grow Kits for some dirt and grow tubs, and spend the next month essentially gardening, which is plenty good for your outlook on it's own. I've struggled with depression, and while I don't regularly do shrooms, when I do I usually get pretty happy.

Then again, they do tend to make you very introspective and honest - this can be 'hey things aren't so bad', but the last time I did them I was a year into quar, had broken up with a really promising gf with a relationship that limped through six months of de facto long distance by her flying home for a long family visit that got made permanent by lockdown, and with my politics... well 2020 wasn't a really good year for being a hopeful lefty. Basically all the stuff I'd been pushing to the back of my head came to the forefront and wouldn't go away.

YMMV, is what I'm saying, and you can definitely work your way in a little at a time and if you're not feeling better (or you hit a marginal extra dose that isn't marginal helping you) bail.

Personally, I've managed to skate uninfected, except my roommate's coworker just returned a positive test. Their instant test (we stockpiled a few in the brief window when the city gov was giving them out free at libraries) was negative, but now we're googling the false negative rates, the amount of time post-infection a test won't give a positive etc. Pushing 40, and I'm finally at a place where I can tell my boss 'hey uh I don't feel comfortable coming in the next couple days' and I've got the PTO to back it up. But they just heard from their HR 'See you at 8! Take another test in 5 days and if you get symptoms (i.e. you've been several days infectious and definitely spread this poo poo) be sure to stay home!'

That last bit is the kicker. Bitch, you're telling *them* to come to work against *their* reservations, but be sure to tell them to not come to work if they present symptoms of active infection with the disease that killed a million Americans (so far), as though you actually care about fighting this poo poo, and like they're that loving stupid.

E: That weed though. My god. I've tried growing my own - but only in pots on the porch, I don't have the energy for the humidity controlled, light cycled grow rooms. Results have been as unimpressive as you'd expect, through what I got I do kinda like. Not much, and it's kinda weak, but I don't smoke much, and honestly, I like not getting shithoused by accident. I wanna get higher I can always smoke more.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 11, 2022

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Welp. The schools are shut down again. Also, lol: https://www.newsweek.com/oklahomas-substitute-teacher-order-not-new-students-already-being-taught-police-1670803

I guess my kids and I will build a little concrete ramp against the slab for my shop so it's easier to drive into it tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Jokelahoma, what a bunch of jokes