Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

EKDS5k posted:

Apparently 7 stage cylinders are a thing?

I think you missed a picture of an awesome telescoping cylinder there.

Great stories!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Elviscat posted:

I think you missed a picture of an awesome telescoping cylinder there.

Great stories!

Hah, whoops. It's fixed now.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Did the camp manage to stay ‘rona free?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

EKDS5k posted:

Bonus: whatever the hell is going on with this sunrise

Maybe an upper tangent arc?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

EKDS5k posted:

I spotted this just outside of town. I assume it's completely home made, and I guarantee that it is someone's primary residence.

Looks like one of the floating saunas you see in Scandinavia.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

EKDS5k posted:

This is Winston,

a good boy

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There's something that's just right about a dozer operator believing in flat earth theory

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

bolind posted:

Did the camp manage to stay ‘rona free?

Yeah. Dawson only had one case while I was there, and it was a tourist who didn't spread it. Nobody was really concerned about it, most everyone entering the territory had to quarantine for two weeks away from camp anyway.

Yeah he was the chillest dog ever. But nearly got into fights with other dogs because he was so intimidating I think.

Yeah that looks about right. Actually as I recall I saw a shooting star and the Northern lights that day, so it was a good day for seeing poo poo in the sky.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

angryrobots posted:

There's something that's just right about a dozer operator believing in flat earth theory

:lol:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

angryrobots posted:

A belief or an ambition?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Vindolanda posted:

A belief or an ambition?

Seriously. I assume the operator took that as a challenge!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Dozer operator : "Naw man, I know the Earth ain't really flat...

...yet"

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Elviscat posted:

...yet"

Archimedes, but in a hi-vis jacket: “Give me a gently used CAT and a place to refuel and I will grade the world. Might need a ripper for the mountains.”

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Elviscat posted:

...yet"

I'm glad someone else got that. I wouldn't quite let it slide, but he ain't wrong according to his perspective.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Yeah it was full on "Antarctica is a wall of ice surrounding us" batshit crazy type of flat earther. And that if you go exploring far enough past this ice wall you'll come across other "Earths" surrounded by their own ice walls.

Anyway, you didn't come here for loony theories, you came to see big pieces of metal broken in half.

So the mine bought a new (read: extremely heavily used) D475A-3 bulldozer, and it was immediately put into service without so much as an inspection being done. About two weeks later I get a call on the radio asking me to come out where it is, and right away I know something's up because the guy who called it in didn't say what the problem was. Which usually means they hosed up somehow, but this time it meant that something had gone horribly wrong and they wanted to make sure they weren't going to get blamed for it before announcing it to management.

I get there and this is the scene:

The dozer on the left facing downhill is the broken one. Note the total lack of roads or any kind of access for getting tools out to this thing; any service call that starts off with a ten minute hike is going to be a good one.

If that's not 100% grade, it's pretty close. The ground is all permafrost so it's basically sitting on an ice cube that is melting in the July sun, and we're on a time limit now before we risk this thing starting to slide downhill. You can tell something is wrong: the track is hitting the frame above it, and has already deformed the battery compartment.

This is the bit that failed. The equalizer bar is supposed to connect the track frames to the rest of the bulldozer, allowing them to move up and down when driving over uneven terrain, and this thing straight broke off at one of the pins. You can see the sort of half circle remaining; that's supposed to be a whole circle with a bushing in it. And that's not all!

This pivot shaft is identical to the one I posted about in the spring, on another dozer. M30 bolts, I think there's 17 of them in total, and every one ripped out or sheared off.

So basically the piece that is supposed to hold all of the weight and take all of the pushing force of this bulldozer is no longer attached to the frame. The only thing holding it on is the track itself, and the blade push arms. The dozer frame itself is sitting on the ground. And it's in a place that is impossible to get any kind of tools or equipment to.

I didn't get pictures of the recovery process because the whole thing was sketchy as balls and we were too focused on doing it as safely as possible so nobody got hurt and the machine didn't get damaged more. Turns out that we could use the blade as a skid to lift the thing off the ground, and it would actually drive backwards (driving forward just jammed the track frame into the sprocket and was not good times). We used the other D475 to clear a spot just above it where it was flatter, and then towed it up so we could turn it around. Turning was also touchy, I had to lift the blade and drive the good track forward, dragging the whole thing through the dirt but at least not tearing the broken one clean off. Once it was facing uphill, we used the good machine to plow it a "road" through the cut so it could be backed out with as little turning as possible.

It was not quite a worst case scenario, we recovered the machine mostly under its own power, but it was pretty close. If the track had broken, or the blade push arm, and the frame came completely off it would have been a total disaster and we would have been building roads to get more equipment in so we could disassemble it into pieces that could be carried out.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

EKDS5k posted:

Or...continue working well beyond its best before date. And some of you might notice that the dump cylinder on that seems way too short, well...

That looks like an 860S, last made in 1979...

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
How is a dozer like that transported to the mine?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This is the best thread for rampant mechanical carnage, holy poo poo.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

bolind posted:

How is a dozer like that transported to the mine?

Properly it should be disassembled: blade, ripper, track frames all removed and then shipped on separate trucks to its destination. This one in particular was driven from another mine over an hour's drive away. It took all night and probably took hundreds of hours off the life of the undercarriage, because when you drive tracked equipment long distances quickly the tracks and rollers all heat up and wear out much quicker. Usually there will be a prescribed rest period but who knows if it was even looked up, let alone followed.

Elviscat posted:

This is the best thread for rampant mechanical carnage, holy poo poo.

Feel free to repost anything here wherever else it might be appropriate. For example here's one for the OSHA thread:

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 24, 2020

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Much safe.

Were you able to reassure the miner that they wouldn't be blamed for the undercarriage falling apart?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I never would have imagined that a non-rustbucket piece of very heavy equipment would have such a spectacular failure of a main structural component.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Munin posted:

Much safe.

Were you able to reassure the miner that they wouldn't be blamed for the undercarriage falling apart?

He almost got blamed for it immediately but the mine owner bit his tongue at the last second on the radio.

angryrobots posted:

I never would have imagined that a non-rustbucket piece of very heavy equipment would have such a spectacular failure of a main structural component.

Odds are the bearing was on the way out when they drove it to the mine, and then at some point failed completely. After that the pin would have been hammering on the boss in a way that it was never intended to take, and once cracks start to form then it's all over.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

EKDS5k posted:

This one in particular was driven from another mine over an hour's drive away.
:stonk:

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Oh I remembered an OSHA-worthy story. No pictures unfortunately as I wasn't around when it happened.

Near the beginning of the season, Dave gets hired. He has a small contracting company and does safety training and inspections and what have you for other companies. He also does some guiding and fishing tours on the side, but this year due to COVID everything is on hold, so he's working as a labourer in a gold mine in the Yukon. Of course he gets pressed into being the unofficial "safety guy" too. I liked Dave, and we got along, but I can't help but think that he might have been a hammer in search of a nail.

Part of Dave's duties are to drive around in a pickup truck with a tidy tank on the back, and fuel up smaller gear: generators, pumps etc. Larger gear had a dedicated fuel truck that he also drove. Anyway so his regular pickup is out of service getting repaired one day, and the replacement he has to drive has a broken shift lever. To put it in gear you had to move the cable manually and feel for the detent. So he drives this truck out to fuel up an excavator, and the girl running it is new and not confident bringing it down off the pile to level ground. Dave drives up the hill, puts it in park and doesn't use the park brake (maybe he was lazy like everyone else, maybe it didn't work, I have no idea). Fuels the machine, does a couple other little tasks, and then when he gets back in the truck of course the weight of it is resting on the parking pawl, and now it won't shift easily. I guess he had the door open, one foot on the ground and one inside the cab for leverage, and was pulling on the cable when it popped into gear. Of course it immediately rolled downhill and the open driver's door knocked him on his rear end. He wasn't seriously hurt (I think he took the rest of the day off) and the truck came to a stop on a berm a ways downhill. All things considered it could have been way worse, and it was more or less a "no harm no foul" kind of situation. Yes, the places I'm used to working at would have had that truck tagged out for repair, but it's Yukon rules up here.

Anyway the first thing Dave does after that is call WCB. Not to make any kind of claim;, he didn't need treatment and didn't lose any pay, but just to report that this place is a death trap, there are hazards everywhere, it's amazing more people haven't been hurt, etc etc. And also he told them he'd probably get fired for calling this in.

So two days later Dave is fired. Officially management wasn't satisfied with his performance and he was on the way out when this whole thing happened anyway so it's totally kosher and completely unrelated :rolleyes:. Dave calls WCB back to let them know he was fired, and then a whole investigation was opened. They showed up, interviewed people, made a list of like 4 minor things that needed to be dealt with, and everyone panicked and worried about what turned out to be completely nothing. Either they're completely toothless and unable to force compliance, or they know that if they start strictly enforcing the rules then tons of places will have to shut down, unemployment goes up, tax revenue goes down, etc and it's bad all around. Probably some combination of both.

Oh and there was no outrage. The vibe among the rest of the workers was that Dave was a total piece of poo poo and how dare he even think about reporting such a non-incident and it was his fault for driving that truck in the first place because he knew about the shifter and now everyone's jobs are threatened and did I mention he's a piece of poo poo?

At least all the trucks with broken shifters (I think there were 3 in total) were promptly repaired so...progress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just found this thread in my subscriptions looking for something else. Anything else end up happening? This was a fun read.