Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

They're probably busy working. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is it just me or are people actually making fewer posts now that they’re all WFH? Or maybe I’m just bored and refreshing more often

Everybody died op

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

I get to have my pet sugar gliders sleep in my shirt all day. WFH is the best.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

It's good

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

wafflemoose posted:

As a cell center agent who works from home for a while it is nice to be able to use the juiced up gaming pc instead of the old clunkers offices typically use. I can also go to whatever websites I feel like and shitpost on the forums. I used to work in an office at one of my previous jobs, it was hell. Working from home owns, you just need a decent computer and a comfy enough chair.

The only thing that sucks is the massively increased call volume from all the computer illiterate people calling trying to get their email and vpn poo poo set up thanks to this dumb virus throwing everyone into a panic, not to mention the useless Tier1 department dumping calls they should be able to handle to our dept because they're too stupid to figure out how to powercycle a router apparently.

It's still worth it though since I hate commuting and wearing pants

sounds like a great time to move to computer janitor help desk :haw:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Ok I take back what I said about not having enough work. I’m managing six projects now, up from two a few days ago :stare:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

My work provided me a laptop dock and 2 monitors for WFH, I have a room dedicated for just work, a comfy office chair, can watch tv or listen to music without headphones, cats, access to my own food and coffee and I live alone. It's pretty nice so far op. :)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
WFH rules ive gotten paid to jerk off twice today so far and it isnt even noon

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nooner posted:

I'm just going to leave this here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/faejsy/wibta_for_asking_my_employees_to_dress/

quote:

WIBTA For Asking My Employees To Dress Appropriately Around Company Equipment?

Let's get to the point. I'm the CEO of a small technology startup, think <50 employees. We give each employee a laptop on which they can do programming work.
I try to be a reasonable guy and let people work from home if they're more comfortable but because every company I've started has had "mysterious equipment disappearances" I've installed software on each computer for monitoring. Each employee was informed of the full nature of the monitoring in their employee contracts
Occasionally, as is my right, I'll log into the monitoring software website to monitor the status of the equipment that I paid for What do I find? People watching TV or slacking off instead of working, fine whatever. But very occasionally I see people who are on their company computers while not-fully-dressed.
I'm not an old school guy but I'm flustered by the fact that people can't seem to manage to even dress themselves before starting work. Even my 7 year old knows how to get fully dressed in the morning before school, why can't these people?
I told my CTO enough is enough and I want to send out an email reminding everyone about our (already very lax and permissive!) dress code. Jeans, sweat pants, T-shirts, that's all good by me as long as you're fully dressed while working. Instead of having my back, my CTO who I've known for years popped a few blood vessels yelling at me not to send the email and not to ever mention this again to anyone.
I don't think I'm asking too much, but WIBTA if I send out that email?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Nooner posted:

https://twitter.com/GraceSpelman/status/1240846223071903745?s=19

Nooner fill out your timecard properly.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Can bosses really peep on you through the webcam?? That’s so creepy. I always keep mine covered up just in case, but I didn’t think that was a real thing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yes, absolutely. There was a lawsuit a few years ago when a school district was found to be monitoring students through their laptops.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

remigious posted:

Can bosses really peep on you through the webcam?? That’s so creepy. I always keep mine covered up just in case, but I didn’t think that was a real thing.

Not just your boss.

Anyone with the right computer skills/tools and determination (especially if they're state-funded) can peep you through your webcam without the light turning on, so you don't know you're being watched/recorded.

In April of 2016, James Comey advised people to put tape over their webcam.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/08/473548674/why-the-fbi-director-puts-tape-over-his-webcam

:tinfoil: Russia got footage of him wanking and told him to re-open the investigation into Hillary Clinton or else. :tinfoil:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I use my anus to log in on my laptop through the 'facial recognition' in the webcam :shrug:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

LabyaMynora posted:

Not just your boss.

Anyone with the right computer skills/tools and determination (especially if they're state-funded) can peep you through your webcam without the light turning on, so you don't know you're being watched/recorded.

In April of 2016, James Comey advised people to put tape over their webcam.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/08/473548674/why-the-fbi-director-puts-tape-over-his-webcam

:tinfoil: Russia got footage of him wanking and told him to re-open the investigation into Hillary Clinton or else. :tinfoil:

Yeah, I bought a pack of these things:
https://www.amazon.com/Trobing-Bloc...ps%2C165&sr=8-4

and handed them out to everyone on my team. I've been using them for years.

Hell, not even a bad actor or a snoopy boss - there have been a couple times that the camera function in a software has mysteriously defaulted to "on" after an update for no reason.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 20, 2020

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Let's be real. If you can't work from home, things were probably already poo poo for you, so don't blame remote work.

"I'm not getting anything d-"
You never do.

"My company wasn't ready for remote work."
Videoconferencing has been around for like 20 years. Jesus Christ do you still do all your numbers on paper with adding machines too?

"I can't survive without seeing my coworkers."
What you mean is you normally waste like 80% of your day bullshitting so now you don't know what to use to fill that void in your life. I suggest doing your job, and getting some hobbies like feeding your kids or donating your spare time to charities.

"My boss sends an axe murderer to my house if I look away from my monitor for .02 seconds."
Unless you work in a life-essential field like the power company, fuckwit bosses who do this poo poo need to go. This is bullshit even when you're in a cubicle in a monkey suit, but it's ludicrous when you're working remote. You need to adjust to letting people work asynchronously - like send a Slack message telling them what you need, and actually give them time to do it, instead of just expecting them to be at your beck and call like a slave.

"Everyone in my house is an rear end in a top hat especially my wife."
Babies and elder care are exceptions, but welcome to being a parent / spouse / sibling. You needed to stop loving up at this years before now.

remigious posted:

Most companies can open your webcam at any time, they track your internet searches, and they can turn on the microphone on your phone at any time to listen to you if your Exchange account is linked.

They've been doing this for 20+ years.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
Well that is a bummer! I’m guilty of loving around on the Internet sometimes, I need to knock that off. Forum posts are always from my phone of course!

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I do not know, can you elaborate?

Most jobs (in the US at least) put the costs of transportation on to their employees already, so removing that and adding the work space seems like a lateral move or better. This thread already has a lot of people saying they do not miss their horrible commute. I'd wager that sentiment will only grow in the weeks to come.

For instance, to take this to the logical extreme, someone who now has to WFH when they're homeless.

Again, this would only really be a concern in the event society really goes all in on this WFH business and even then we could probably work out certain compromises, etc. But it's worth recognizing that it does make demands on people's ways of life in ways that work generally hasn't before.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

zedprime posted:

I'm a big fan of always wearing pants

lol get the gently caress outta here

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

remigious posted:

just lol if you have a webcam, or if you don't have tape over it if it's built in.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Away all Goats posted:

just lol if you have a webcam, or if you don't have tape over it if it's built in.

I spilledshotwhiteoutcum all over my camera so now it cant see too well.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Sapper posted:

Open a command prompt. Set up a continuous ping (ping -t) to your gateway IP or whatever. For example, if your gateway is 192.168.1.1, type "ping -t 192.168.1.1" and hit enter.

Now that command prompt window is tied up with a neverending command and won't accept any keystroke input except Control+C. Put something heavy on your space bar, with that command prompt window selected as the window you're working in, and go fiddly-gently caress around.

The lords work

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

For instance, to take this to the logical extreme, someone who now has to WFH when they're homeless.

Again, this would only really be a concern in the event society really goes all in on this WFH business and even then we could probably work out certain compromises, etc. But it's worth recognizing that it does make demands on people's ways of life in ways that work generally hasn't before.

Okay, that's a good point. Just because we're already shorting people on their commute doesn't justify shorting them in other ways as a replacement. If somebody is punching you because they had to stop kicking you that doesn't just cancel out to neutral because hey, you're no longer getting kicked.

For a second there I wanted to argue "how do you have a job but you're homeless?" but then I realized oh right, America. That's how.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

revwinnebago posted:

Let's be real. If you can't work from home, things were probably already poo poo for you, so don't blame remote work.

"I'm not getting anything d-"
You never do.

Videoconferencing has been around for like 20 years. Jesus Christ do you still do all your numbers on paper with adding machines too?

"I can't survive without seeing my coworkers."
What you mean is you normally waste like 80% of your day bullshitting so now you don't know what to use to fill that void in your life. I suggest doing your job, and getting some hobbies like feeding your kids or donating your spare time to charities.

"My boss sends an axe murderer to my house if I look away from my monitor for .02 seconds."
Unless you work in a life-essential field like the power company, fuckwit bosses who do this poo poo need to go. This is bullshit even when you're in a cubicle in a monkey suit, but it's ludicrous when you're working remote. You need to adjust to letting people work asynchronously - like send a Slack message telling them what you need, and actually give them time to do it, instead of just expecting them to be at your beck and call like a slave.

"Everyone in my house is an rear end in a top hat especially my wife."
Babies and elder care are exceptions, but welcome to being a parent / spouse / sibling. You needed to stop loving up at this years before now.

Most companies can open your webcam at any time, they track your internet searches, and they can turn on the microphone on your phone at any time to listen to you if your Exchange account is linked.

They've been doing this for 20+ years.
I agree with this post

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I’ve been wfh (wanking for hours) since I was fifteen

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I see your conference call bingo and raise you conferencecall.biz

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

shut up blegum posted:

I use my anus to log in on my laptop through the 'facial recognition' in the webcam :shrug:

Windows Hellooooooo

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Na, it owns being able to spend the productive daytime hours on personal projects and then crank thru work stuff in like 2 hours at night. Biggest thing so far, besides not wasting 45-mins each way commuting (that you don't even get paid for), has been discovering home kitchen >>> work kitchen in every way.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

revwinnebago posted:

This is what my office ran up against this last week. We were all told we would be getting VPN access since we have data security to deal with and then we found out they were switching us to a remote desktop client... we have enough bandwidth to support about 50 users which is how many are on my floor. It's just too bad there are 75 people on the floor below us and 50 above us all clamoring for that same bandwidth. Good thing they haven't been able to get mine working yet so I can continue to stroll through the plague ridden streets about 6 blocks to my office from my parking garage amidst the homeless dudes toking out on the streets at 8:20 am. YAY!
I've got asthma and diabetes and I'm seriously one of the very last people on my floor to get the ability to work from home.

Although I will miss listening to Dan Patrick NOT talk about real live sports on the way to work. I guess I'll have to say, "Hey Alexa..." and make it play at my desk instead.

The bright spot which I discovered today by being one of only a few people in my office is that when you log in remotely it unlocks your screen and everyone can see what you're doing. I only warned one guy I work with. It's going to be funny when managers are strolling around the office watching people's facebook feeds scroll and seeing people not actually work.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

otter posted:

The bright spot which I discovered today by being one of only a few people in my office is that when you log in remotely it unlocks your screen and everyone can see what you're doing. I only warned one guy I work with. It's going to be funny when managers are strolling around the office watching people's facebook feeds scroll and seeing people not actually work.

Lol, what a bitchmade system.
Also don't die goon.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sudonim posted:

what I'm gettin from this thread is that the wfh haters:
* Can't compartmentalize work from life
* Have no internal discipline

and that they compensate by forcing a (potentially long) distance from home to work and getting peer pressured into productivity

Let me rephrase.

After sitting in my chair for 8-9 hours once I'm done it is a little difficult to find the motivation to go to the gym etc.

Generally I work longer at home than when I'm at work, I go on a few walks for 15 mins, I don't do this at home. I also log in around 6:30am instead of 7:15 and stick around after 4 for in case folks have questions (usually I will switch to my laptop at 4:30 and start prepping dinner or something. )

I so however snack more at home because it's nearby and easy to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm working from home and every time I start to think "hmmm, this kinda sucks" I consider that I could be working retail and breaking up a fistfight between two boomers over who gets the last roll of toilet paper.